1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Seeking Seersucker Suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tgt465, Feb 23, 2011.

1. tgt465

tgt465 Well-Known Member

I was thinking of getting a seersucker suit for this summer, and was wondering if anyone had suggestions or recommendations. I found the following:
    • Jos A Bank: I know the company gets a lot of flack around here, but their Executive suit was only $65 last week (and I'm sure their perpetual sales will roll around again before summer hits). They also have a "Stays Cool" version which was around $160. Not sure of quality. I'll probably drop by the local store to see these in person.
    • Haspel: Seems like this is available for around $170 online. Downside is that I don't believe there is anyone nearby who sells these in person, so I'd have to buy this unseen.
    • Hardwick: Similar to Haspel.
    • J Crew: Their jacket is fully lined according to their web site, which in my view defeats the purpose of seersucker to begin with. Ultra-narrow lapels don't really work for me. Price is around $300, which is starting to get pricey considering the fabric used.
    • Brooks Brothers: Half-lined and reasonable style, but even more expensive at $400. I thought seersucker was supposed to be cheap suiting for poor folks?

Anyways if anybody owns a seersucker suit and/or can provide helpful comments or suggestions, I'd be appreciative. Thanks!

2. MBreinin

MBreinin Well-Known Member

I was thinking of getting a seersucker suit for this summer, and was wondering if anyone had suggestions or recommendations. I found the following:
    • Jos A Bank: I know the company gets a lot of flack around here, but their Executive suit was only $65 last week (and I'm sure their perpetual sales will roll around again before summer hits). They also have a "Stays Cool" version which was around $160. Not sure of quality. I'll probably drop by the local store to see these in person.
    • Haspel: Seems like this is available for around $170 online. Downside is that I don't believe there is anyone nearby who sells these in person, so I'd have to buy this unseen.
    • Hardwick: Similar to Haspel.
    • J Crew: Their jacket is fully lined according to their web site, which in my view defeats the purpose of seersucker to begin with. Ultra-narrow lapels don't really work for me. Price is around $300, which is starting to get pricey considering the fabric used.
    • Brooks Brothers: Half-lined and reasonable style, but even more expensive at $400. I thought seersucker was supposed to be cheap suiting for poor folks?

Anyways if anybody owns a seersucker suit and/or can provide helpful comments or suggestions, I'd be appreciative. Thanks!

Well, Haspel essentially invented the Seersucker suit. I know they are not making them here in New Orleans any longer...but I have seen their recent stuff and it is pretty decent. It is what it is...very traditionally cut and fitting inexpensive suits. The best cut Seersucker stuff I have seen and tried is from Polo.

Where do you live?

Mike

3. tgt465

tgt465 Well-Known Member

Where do you live?

I'm in the San Francisco Bay area. Summers are not so hot that I expect to wear this frequently, hence the reluctance to spend too much for this. Maybe the relatively milder weather would make the fully lined/half lined distinction moot, thinking about it.

4. MBreinin

MBreinin Well-Known Member

I'm in the San Francisco Bay area. Summers are not so hot that I expect to wear this frequently, hence the reluctance to spend too much for this. Maybe the relatively milder weather would make the fully lined/half lined distinction moot, thinking about it.

Well, the J.Crew is going to be a slimmer and younger fit. I would think you could use some lining in SF.

Do they have Belk out there? They sell shitloads of Haspel seersucker down here.

Mike

5. tgt465

tgt465 Well-Known Member

First time I heard of Belk. I don't think they have stores around here, but I'll keep them in mind as an online ordering alternative. Thanks!

6. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

I have a Polo blue label seersucker, and it's very very nice. Nice fit, MOP buttons, good construction for a cotton suit. I have a Haspel linen suit and the seersuckers seem to have a similar cut, pretty boxy. It works for linen but wasn't what I was going for in seersucker. I live in the South so it's pretty common, never gotten a negative reaction and lots of positive ones.

edit: got the Polo from B&S here.

7. NewYorkBuck

NewYorkBuck Well-Known Member

I got mine a few years ago at JPress. I really think its one of the few suits where I can split up the pants and jacket and look just fine.

8. Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee Well-Known Member

The Haspel is the original and pretty cheap. I have a seersucker and a tan poplin. I'm sure you can easily buy on-line. What I don't know is if they all come with pleated pants. Mine are several years old and I don't think flat fronts were available then, but maybe with the resurgence they are now. I don't think you can beat them for the price. Forget about J. Bank.

9. pvrhye

pvrhye Well-Known Member

Buy the 65 dollar one and wear it hard all summer.

10. Dinky89484

Dinky89484 Well-Known Member

11. Bird's One View

Bird's One View Well-Known Member

I have one from O'Connell's that is great. Quarter lined, sack jacket, flat front pants. Would buy again.

I had one from Brooks Bros previously; the jacket was fully lined but nonetheless reasonably cool (it was lined in rayon; cheaper suits are sometimes lined in polyester which doesn't breathe as well). Brooks styling was less trad-- darted jacket, pleats, no edge stitching-- basically a standard Madison suit. The cloth was more refined than that of the O'Connell's suit, and the buttons were nicer.

The other one I'd consider is J Press, but I've never worn one or seen it in person.

12. dmac

dmac Well-Known Member

I have a J. Press seersucker and am quite happy with it.

13. pvrhye

pvrhye Well-Known Member

Soon stylish summer shopper seeks serious savings on seersucker suit?

14. ruben

ruben Well-Known Member

You may have missed your chance to get a super cheap JAB seersucker suit, I imagine they won't be that cheap again till fall.
    The JAB one's I've seen had pretty beefy shoulders, though I prefer my seersucker with a 3/2roll, no darts, and soft shoulders.

I would go for the Haspel, every J. Crew jacket I've ever seen has looked off, I don't trust them.