• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sea Shepherd's new boat vs Japanese Whalers

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
They also taste great.... so there's one reason.
They do not taste great, they taste like fat crap. We should drop another nuke on the Japs to teach them to respect life.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
We should drop a nuke on the Americans to teach them to respect life.
FTFY

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
From a year or two back:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
FTFY

Yeah that's kinda the point but I didn't really have a point, just that people are jerkwad meatbags.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackjack
The Sea Shepherd first claimed their speedboat, Ady Gil, was purposely rammed by the Shonan Maru 2 while stationary in the water. Hmmm interesting claim especially when the telltale wakes in videos released by both the Japanese and Sea Shepherd Society indicate otherwise. In a telephone interview with a TV news station, Paul Watson, then claimed the Ady Gil was in reverse. Again, the videos show the Ady Gil moving forward.

The top speed of the Ady Gil is 45 knots or 52 mph. The top speed of the Shonan Maru 2 is 12 knots or about 14 mph. If one really understands the capabilities of each ship, it is very difficult to comprehend how the Shonan Maru 2 would be able to launch an "unprovoked" ramming of the much more quicker and agile Ady Gil. It's more likely the captain of the Ady Gil either deliberately crashed his vessel in an attempt to gain public sympathy or he grossly miscalculated an attempt to make a run just before the bow of the larger ship.

There was a time when the antics of the Sea Shepherd won fans with their unarmed semi-suicidal tactics using Zodiacs. However, by attacking the Japanese with green lasers and butyric acid bombs, they've clearly slipped into the eco-terrorist zone. And, the Ady Gil already has a "history" of killing innocent people .. when it was known as the Earthrace, it collided with a Guatemalan fishing boat leaving one man dead and another seriously crippled. "High-powered lawyers" (the captain's own words) and large amount of under the table money got the crew off scot-free. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10429738

If these eco-versions of Somalian pirates ever attacked a US vessel under similar circumstances, we'd probably expect the crew to fire back with live ammunition. None of the kid glove treatment that the Japanese seem to be using until now.

It makes me think one of the reasons the Sea Shepherd and other anti-whaling organizations have been focusing only on the Japanese and not the Icelanders and Norwegians is hypocrisy. Scandinavians with their dashing good looks are admittedly difficult to vilify. Plus, their whalers are probably more likely to retaliate with automatic weapons fire the moment their ships are attacked. Good old Viking spirit!

Unexpected behaviour, perhaps?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I trust that science will provide me with answers soon enough. But still, no monkey or dolphin will ever measure up to Bea...
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Monkeys plus Broadway remind me of: http://www.hulu.com/watch/20840/the-...lures-comeback If Troy McClure can learn how to love a monkey, so can Conne.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
fair enough, thanks. I honestly don't know that much about marine biology, but I thought that wales ate plankton, and so does pretty much everything else.

So you admit you don't know **** as well...

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
Is there any sort of legal recourse these green freaks could take on the whalers for the deliberate ramming? I'm relatively ignorant of the law in general and even moreso maritime law.

I am ignorant as well, but . . .

- Sea Shepherds are basically pirates, and even adopted the jolly roger.
- Sea Shepherds even acknowledge going outside the law with their work.
- Japanese have been constantly harassed by them
- Japanese are probably within their right

I'm glad that when I drive around my SUV, people aren't throwing stink bombs at it and trying to slash my tires by throwing roofing nails into the road.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We should privatize the whales.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quevola
So you admit you don't know **** as well...

about whales. I do, apperently, know how to yank a young tree huggers chain.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are probably 500k to 1 million southern minke whales.

The Japanese kill like 500 per year. I don't see why people get their nuts in such a bunch over it.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
There are probably 500k to 1 million southern minke whales. The Japanese kill like 500 per year. I don't see why people get their nuts in such a bunch over it.
because they are intelliegtn creatures and they nto are no longer consdred a food source by a bunch hippies adn people who except their belief(but still where leather and eat meat), who think that there cultural standards are superior.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
about whales. I do, apperently, know how to yank a young tree huggers chain.

The problem is that you aren't trying to yank anybodies chain - just talking out of your ass.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics