1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Schongeisterei-Harry Graf Kessler

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LabelKing, Oct 9, 2006.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

I don't see how it has changed at all. In my 1897 Universal Dictionary of the English Language (NYC: Harper; 4 volumes), aesthete is defined as One who professes great love for the beautiful, and endeavours to carry his ideas of beauty into practice in dress and surroundings. Unless you're reaching back further, I don't see how this differes from any modern definition of the word.
    Yes, but these days, aesthete is connotative of something like a metrosexual, whether you want to cite academic contexts or lay ones. I'm not defining to a strictly "dictionary" extent but of its ethos.

2. Teacher

Teacher Well-Known Member

Yes, but these days, aesthete is connotative of something like a metrosexual, whether you want to cite academic contexts or lay ones.

I'm not defining to a strictly "dictionary" extent but of its ethos.

That hasn't been my experience in the least. In fact, the only times I encounter the word is with great reverence, which is clearly not the case with metrosexual (dear God, did I just type that word??).

3. LabelKing

That hasn't been my experience in the least. In fact, the only times I encounter the word is with great reverence, which is clearly not the case with metrosexual (dear God, did I just type that word??).
    Perhaps, in my experience, it's simply that to a certain scale, aesthetes today are mostly self-professed dilettantes with vulgar wives making facetious statements, which aren't even funny. I blame Andy Warhol.

4. Teacher

I knew you would come back....

Oh man, Andy Worhol and the other pop-art tarts (there, I said it) have done more to harm the concept of aesthetics than almost anyone I can think of. Naturally, conceptual art can be a great thing (though usually not my bag), but please...the pretention it has bred is a bit sickening. At the North Dakota Museum of Art (don't laugh), there's an art auction this upcoming Saturday. One woman from some place I can't remember has actually made 23 cans of cat food out of the different animals she would imagine a cat would like to eat; the labels are all marked "PREY" and have a cute name like "scrumptious snake" (I'm making that up). The display is expected to go for around a couple of grand, if memory serves. Worhol in his full glory lives on!

(Okay, now everyone can attack me for being a mimetic...I don't care! It's late and I'm sleepy.)

5. LabelKing

Personally, I would view this current crop of artistic ferment as nascently moldy. The distinct, and extreme majority of what is being produced under the label of art is common, cheap, and throughly insistent upon itself. In fact, it's redundant--drawing from barely dry movements like Dada, Fluxus, Surrealism, etc. and then trying to manipulate the sensibilities, ever like their greasy hair, into ugly props appropriate only for a Soho thrift store. You have people like Karim Rashid providing the middle-classes with "design" objects that are really middling in quality, and design while overall culturalism is relegated to ugly concert halls, and the local Alliance Française. Some may have viewed the late Roman or Gothic periods as a decline but seemingly we are living in an area of aesthetic defunct. However, I can manage respect for Andy Warhol as his earlier work was really rather innovative, and presented an overall aesthetic prototype, which sort of relayed his zeitgeist (appropriate word for this thread!) well. Yet the recent documentary of him is utterly tacky, making vague films like Haircut seem the most transcendent piece of work ever made.

6. Teacher

Personally, I would view this current crop of artistic ferment as nascently moldy. The distinct, and extreme majority of what is being produced under the label of art is common, cheap, and throughly insistent upon itself. In fact, it's redundant--drawing from barely dry movements like Dada, Fluxus, Surrealism, etc. and then trying to manipulate the sensibilities, ever like their greasy hair, into ugly props appropriate only for a Soho thrift store.

Some may have viewed the late Roman or Gothic periods as a decline but seemingly we are living in an area of aesthetic defunct.

However, I can manage respect for Andy Warhol as his earlier work was really rather innovative, and presented an overall aesthetic prototype, which sort of relayed his zeitgeist (appropriate word for this thread!) well.

Again, not really my thing, but I'll give you that.

I haven't seen it, and I doubt I ever will. However, do I smell a John-Waters-style-that-takes-itself-seriously creeping into this project?

7. LabelKing

Again, not really my thing, but I'll give you that. I haven't seen it, and I doubt I ever will. However, do I smell a John-Waters-style-that-takes-itself-seriously creeping into this project?
    It's apparently by Ric Burns, and it's rather grating. They block out women's breasts, and then entirely leave out the Studio 54 years, and make slight mention of the homosexual impulses; in fact, the most obscene thing they probably mentioned was the presence, and subsequent suicide of Edie Sedgwick who as far as eccentrics go, was not particularly flamboyant. I don't whether PBS goes under the hawkeyes of the FCC but certainly, you can see the documentary pandering to conservative tastes who probably have a Marilyn print in the den they bought at the MOMA on summer vacation in New York.

8. Teacher

It's apparently by Ric Burns, and it's rather grating. They block out women's breasts, and then entirely leave out the Studio 54 years,

Huh...left out the good stuff, did they?[​IMG]

Ummm....WHAT? I didn't know he had merely impulses.

We're ridiculous, aren't we?

9. LabelKing

Huh...left out the good stuff, did they?[​IMG]

Ummm....WHAT? I didn't know he had merely impulses.

We're ridiculous, aren't we?

They always leave out the good stuff. They don't want the kids to see it, abstinence and all.

Impulses like Oscar Wilde posing Somdomite (sic).[​IMG]

10. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Well-Known Member

It's apparently by Ric Burns, and it's rather grating. They block out women's breasts, and then entirely leave out the Studio 54 years, and make slight mention of the homosexual impulses; in fact, the most obscene thing they probably mentioned was the presence, and subsequent suicide of Edie Sedgwick who as far as eccentrics go, was not particularly flamboyant.
    The Sedgwicks are a collateral branch of the family. A dubious distinction if ever there was one. The Puritanical impulse to make everything antiseptic is its own perverse form of aestheticism. Surely if anybody can appreciate this it's Americans.

11. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Well-Known Member

Bump, with an interesting Warhol video

12. Degendorff

Degendorff Well-Known Member

Interessant. Dieser ganze Diskussionsstrang ist ebenso schöngeistig, wie es Graf Kessler vermutlich war.

Does anybody have more of his interior decoration skills? I love the simple lines of Jugenstil/Secession combinated with floral elements, especially in architecture. Today I passed by some impressive art nouveau facades in Vienna.