• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Mr Melanzane

Reaction score
What do you think about it?
I think it's wonderful and one of those few perfumes that have flashes of moods as opposed to flashes of scent recognition.
tough one. One minute I'm really loving it, the next much less so. The animal comparisons/references haven't gone unnoticed. I'm sure it will grow on me. Not sure I'm looking to get a full bottle just yet.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Today I'm enjoying the late dry-down of Tam Dao, which is one of my top five favorites but haven't used it in a long time. It's such a warm, beautiful, buttery sandalwood after the cedar burns off.

I really wish they hadn't neutered this one. It used to be so potent and long lasting. Now it just sucks.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've had the same bottle since 2004, luckily.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today: Oud 27 - I find it remarkabl that they found a facet of oud and went in that direction with it. I'm not sure yet what facet that is because it's so well blended that the oud's identifiable points have been covered up with the other components.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thé pour un Été for the day.

Now I'm crosswearing Dzing!, Poivre Piquant and Tea for Two.

Maquis

Reaction score
SOTD: In a nod to the earlier discussion of immortelle fragrances, I'm wearing Sables today.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I dug out my decant of Richard James to see if I remembered right about the similarity to l'etre aime. Yes, it is indeed similar, not sure I could say how. Both frags have a lot going on.

olivier.nyc

Reaction score
SOTD: Gris Clair by Serge Lutens. I like this one a lot. It does get a bit sweet to my taste in the late hours of the day.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Got my bottle of vintage Lagerfeld Photo in the mail today. That's the fragrance that first got me hooked on perfumes back in 1992, but it's been reformulated for the worse. It smelled every bit as good as I remembered! (I'm not sure if I'd like it if I were smelling it for the first time, of course. But smelling it, I felt like I took a time machine back 20 years.)

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Iris silver mist today

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pre-shower: L'Air du Desert Marocain. I just don't know what to make of this. The first time I smelled this, I absolutely loved it. Eventually I used up my first decant, and so I bought another. The second decant (which is a roller ball, BTW) seemed very different from the first, and I honestly didn't even enjoy it anymore. It seemed completely one-dimensional, focusing exclusively on that patented Tauer sharpness. But now I put it on this morning and all the wonderful complexity is back. I really don't know how to account for that.

SOTD: Rocabar. This was a regular in my rotation at the time I was finishing my Ph.D. dissertation. Those were some very happy years for me, and wearing it again reminds me of those moods quite vividly.

olivier.nyc

Reaction score

wearing it again reminds me of those moods quite vividly.

I consider scents the ultimate time machine. It also strikes me how my first impression of someone can be greatly affected (positively or negatively) if they wear something I unconsciously (or not) associate with someone else in my past. My first bad boss was overindulging in habit rouge, and to this day one will have to work hard to get that stigma away when I first met them...

Last edited:

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, there's lots of research about the very strong associations we make between scents and remembered events. It's fascinating how that works. Just yesterday I wore the vintage Lagerfeld Photo and I was immediately back in 1992. There's another fragrance--Back to Black--that I wore a lot while I was in a relationship that didn't end especially well. It's still hard for me to wear it because it brings back those memories so vividly.

I find music to be somewhat similar, but the associations aren't nearly as vivid.

Mr Melanzane

Reaction score
sotd: L'Artisan Navigateur

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads