• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Maquis

Reaction score

I was also thinking about Vintage Givenchy Gentleman. Do you think it fits the bill?

I just put on some vintage Givenchy Gentleman to refresh my memory, but I don't get a lot of patchouli at the opening—it comes out more in the dry down—but I don't see this as a "Patchouli front and center" fragrance. I find it more to be a smoky, leathery fragrance veering towards the earthy, musty & dank side of the equation (I assume from a significant amount of oak moss?)

There's also a slight dark green note—a bit like the one in Paco Rabanne Pour Homme—and there's also a little bit of sweet dried fruit note (but more like prunes, not jammy...) I also pick up a light floral note, although I can't really decipher what it is. (I suck at picking out florals... :laugh:)

This is pretty strong stuff, and a little bit definitely goes a long way.

EDIT: Ok, I changed my mind. That dry, sour patchouli vibe is definitely making itself known now. (I think the leather & oak moss were hogging the spotlight in the beginning...)

Last edited:

Mr_Incognito

Reaction score

I just put on some vintage Givenchy Gentleman to refresh my memory, but I don't get a lot of patchouli at the opening—it comes out more in the dry down—but I don't see this as a "Patchouli front and center" fragrance. I find it more to be a smoky, leathery fragrance veering towards the earthy, musty & dank side of the equation (I assume from a significant amount of oak moss?)
There's also a slight dark green note—a bit like the one in Paco Rabanne Pour Homme—and there's also a little bit of sweet dried fruit note (but more like prunes, not jammy...) I also pick up a light floral note, although I can't really decipher what it is. (I suck at picking out florals... :laugh:)
This is pretty strong stuff, and a little bit definitely goes a long way.
EDIT: Ok, I changed my mind. That dry, sour patchouli vibe is definitely making itself known now. (I think the leather & oak moss were hogging the spotlight in the beginning...)

Your description helps a lot!!

I asked my previous question because I met an older french gentleman recently and after he had left I kept wondering what fragrance he was wearing. I don't think he was the kind of guy who would buy a niche fragrance. The dry down smelled so elegant and unique. It had kind of like a barbershop, oriental vibe (sweet, powdery, patchouli). The fragrance had good sillage but did not smell offensive or strong.

When I think I am done with fragrances for a good while, nature throws some surprise at me.. and I didn't like patchouli fragrances till now..

Last edited:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Got a bottle of 1980's vintage Giorgio for Men in the mail today. :slayer: Well, it's about 60% full of a 100 ml bottle but that should last me a while. Such great memories of my father and grandfather!

Mr Melanzane

Reaction score
sotd: Dzing!
wow.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Got a bottle of 1980's vintage Giorgio for Men in the mail today. :slayer: Well, it's about 60% full of a 100 ml bottle but that should last me a while. Such great memories of my father and grandfather!

My first girlfriend bought that for me. Long story, but it took me a long time to come around to it.

Today: Chanel Pour Monsieur.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dzing is great, yeah. Wearing Tea for Two today. Awesome too. It's been discontinued, right? Gotta snatch a bottle/decant somewhere.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ I like that one a lot.

Pre-shower: M/Mink. My mother (whom I am visiting) liked this.
SOTD: Parure

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Parure ^^^, you're making me sorry I didn't save some for myself.

ELDO Afternoon of a Faun. The third and last of the immortelle trio of samples I received from Inc. I really like this one a lot. It's woody without being sharp, spicy, warm, a little sweet, there's a nice touch or rose and an immortelle note in the heart.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You know, if I were asked to name one perfume that is beautiful in the most straightforward sense of the term, I think I'd name Parure.

I wonder if different people just respond to immortelle differently. Whenever immortelle plays more than a slight role in the composition of a fragrance, the immortelle completely dominates for me. I get hints of the other notes, of course, but immortelle is absolutely front and center. It doesn't seem like Baron experiences them that way at all, though.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just gave my mom a bottle of Parure. She thought it was one of the most wonderful things she'd ever smelled.

olivier.nyc

Reaction score

You know, if I were asked to name one perfume that is beautiful in the most straightforward sense of the term, I think I'd name Parure.
I wonder if different people just respond to immortelle differently. Whenever immortelle plays more than a slight role in the composition of a fragrance, the immortelle completely dominates for me. I get hints of the other notes, of course, but immortelle is absolutely front and center. It doesn't seem like Baron experiences them that way at all, though.

I wonder when you are obtaining a discontinued fragrance you can vet that you are getting the correct vintage, if there were multiple formulation even. Is there a 'grimoire' of all bottles ever made for a classic scent ? Of course for guerlain there might as well be, but for smaller houses...

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Coromandel today, Ourzazate yesterday, Ambre sultan the day before. Still having a ton of fun with all of them, and I am desperately in love with all three. I could happily write a multi-page story about each.

Additionally, after posting initially about how I wasn't sure about the opening of Oud Cuir d'Arabie but loved the next few hours, I've now decided that I need it in my life. I will probably have to buy a bottle. It's ******* incredible.

Everything I like just smells like sex to me.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads