1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. noirwest

noirwest Well-Known Member

Oud 27 is one of the stranger scents I've ever tried. If I put my nose to my skin to smell it close, all I got was the smell of band-aids and BO (and maybe a little of that fecal smell). But the actual scent wafting off my skin that I would catch every now and then was actually quite sweet and musky and pleasant. Lasted forever too.

2. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

I highly recommend Iris 39 by Le Labo - actually the best iris I've ever smell and on my list of want to own.

3. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

For Iris's, the best ones I've smelled are Hermes' Hiris, and also Serge Lutens Iris Silver Mist

4. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

TF Rive d'Ambre. To my surprise, this is my favorite of the new Atelier d'Orient series. This is a classic eau de cologne, and so it is not as innovative as some of the other scents in the PB lineup. But it's an excellent specimen of its kind. It's closest relative in the PB is clearly Azure Lime. But the citrus at the top of this one is much brighter. It's also a little bit bitter. As it dries down, a very light amber note emerges--nothing at all like the amber in Amber Absolute. If I had to compare the quality of the amber to any other amber on the market, I'd compare it to Amber Oud. It's both light and rich.

I could easily imagine this being someone's signature scent.

5. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Well-Known Member

Wearing Geo F. Trumper's Eucris this afternoon.

6. GothamRed

GothamRed Well-Known Member

tooday

TFPB Italian Cypress over TFPB Neroli Portofino​

7. GothamRed

+1​

8. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Well-Known Member

Amouage Memoir Man tonight

9. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Oud 27, one of remarkably few scents for which the sample -> purchase progression was actually linear. I tried it, loved it, bought it.

(most of the time it doesn't go quite that way. Sometimes years go by between steps one and two, or two and three, or I might skip the first or second step - or both)

10. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

All the talk of it from the previous days inspired me to get out the POAL

11. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Got some samples of Etat Libre d'Orange Rien, Jasmin et Cigarette, and Je Suis un Homme. I put Rien on my left wrist and Je Suis on my right. I've really grown to like this range and could easily see myself owning a bottle of these three as well as Tom of Finland, which is an amazing leather and ironically one of the safest fragrances in this line.

12. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

Thomas, I might be interested in Oud 27 so if you're not feeling it lemme know...

13. L'Incandescent

@HORNS: Wow, I'm really surprised to hear that! If I recall correctly, you weren't a big fan of ELDO at first.

Do you like Fat Electrician?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  14. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

SOTD is LIDG Homme.

Regarding Ambre 114, someone suggested layering it with Shalimar. I have both, so I must try that.

15. Petepan

Petepan Well-Known Member

+1
    Thanks for the nice write-up. Very similar to my impressions and conclusions. Aqua Universalis Forte reminds me strongly of clean laundry, done in a very elegant fashion, of course. But that is precisely the problem, plus the price is a put-off. Lumiere Noire's drydown is disappointing after such a beautiful start. OUD- same conclusion- when do I wear this? I am starting to like Cologne Pour Le Soir in winter, but probably not appropriate for office. Also scratching my head on Absolue Pour Le Matin- it is nice enough, but does not quite get over the line for FB.

SOTD: Dior Fahrenheit

16. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

I was NOT a fan of ELdO at first but I had some good time to try them out yesterday and really liked those two after wearing them. I think this line needs to be worn, instead of smelling on blotters, to have a conclusion brought about them.

I sprayed Fat Electrician on a blotter, however, and was completely anosmic to it. Didn't smell shit. Frustrating because I like vetivers.

17. Ulsterman

Ulsterman Well-Known Member

Bois D'Orage by Frederic Malle

18. L'Incandescent

Plum Japonais. This is absolutely in line with the aesthetic of the original batch of Private Blends. It is a dark, oriental scent with a very big plum note. It is somewhat reminiscent of the discontinued Japon Noir, but Plum Japonais is much smoother and richer. (Japon Noir is raspier, with prominent leather and patchouli.)

19. GothamRed

that was the only one in the new line i didn't really like. i think the plum was just too cloying for me.​

20. LeeroyDaBoy

LeeroyDaBoy Well-Known Member

Histoires de Parfums Ambrarem