1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

The end of the world will smell of popcorn? A very Hollywood concept.

1 person likes this.
  2. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Well-Known Member

3. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Last night: Caron Third Man - probably the best buy in the perfume world.

4. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

Pre-shower: Black Orchid. I got my bottle of this on January 17, 2009. (If that ever appears on Jeopardy, you will know the answer now.)
    SOTD: Noel au Balcon. Seasonally inappropriate, obviously, but it's a great scent. Definitely one of my favorite gourmands.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  5. Fred G. Unn

Giving ELDO Fat Electrician another shot today. Still not a fan of the rubbery smell at the start.

6. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Today: Sycomore.

7. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

8. TJMAC

TJMAC Well-Known Member

SOTE:
    Chanel Egoiste

9. California Dreamer

Costume National Homme today. My wife says it smells like damp.

10. Fred G. Unn

Atelier Grand Neroli today. Great summer scent, but where did it go? An hour and a half later it seems to have vanished.

11. TJMAC

TJMAC Well-Known Member

The only Neroli frag that I get longetivity with is Neroli Portofino.

12. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial

L'Inc, sorry to be a bother, but do you think you'd be able to describe Lavender Palm a bit more fully? I have enjoyed all of the TF scents I've tried, and I really. really love lavender (reminds me of a youth spent in France, and meanderings through through the countryside).

I think it was last year that there was a huge discussion fo "favourite 'rose' fragrances. Does anyone have that saved? Searching for 'rose' in this thread is fairly useless, but I adore rose scents and am looking for things to try (warm-weather and cool-weather scents are welcome!). Lately I have bene ejoying TDC's rose poivree, even if it is potentially a little too heavy on the pepper. I don't really know what to try next!

I'm confused. Are you actually recommending S+M? Most reviews I have read describe a fragrance that, despite being a rose/ leather (it that's even correct?) is nigh-unbearable.

13. L'Incandescent

^^ Lavender Palm, as the name suggests, opens up with a strong lavender note, supported by lemon. Owing largely to the citrus, it's a light scent that's great for summer. The lavender note persists pretty well through the life of the fragrance. As it dries down, it becomes sweeter and woodier. There's also something oddly metallic in the drydown. Some people experience that note as a little bit bilgy. I don't find it that way myself, but I can see where they're coming from.

As for Secretions Magnifiuques, it's not a rose/leather at all. It's a bright, metallic floral; the metallic bit really is reminiscent of blood. I mean specifically that it smells like blood tastes. I enjoy it if I'm in the right mood. I've gotten compliments on it, even. But also, I once had a girlfriend who was curious what this stuff smelled like. When she smelled it, she came very close to vomiting. (That's a fairly common reaction.) She made me promise never to have it in the house again. (After we broke up, I acquired more.) I would certainly never recommend it as a signature scent or anything like that. It's a curiosity.

I am wearing Eau Noire today.

14. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

MFK Lumiere Noire pour homme is a great summer rose scent. Creed Jardin d'Amalfi also has a rose undercurrent (not as strong as direct or strong as the MFK) but an otherwise nice summer scent.

You've probably tried these ones but other favs would be;
    • Fredic Malle Portrait of a lady
    • Tom Ford Noir De Noir - great evening scent, rose + chocolate
    • Amourage Lyric Man - would be considered up there as the most masculine and popualr rose available

edit:
    • By Killan Rose Oud - if you are up for being adventerous. Like NdN more of an evening scent imo.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  15. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial

Thanks to both of you - I will try to check out the TF fragrances tomorrow, if I can! PoaL is definitely one that I loved - I have been putting off buying more of it; not entirely sure why.

L'inc, I may hold off on S+M :)

16. Fred G. Unn

I actually tried that in Sephora yesterday and really liked it. Neroli Portofino smells like a vacation! A bit pricey though so I thought I'd give some other Nerolis a shot first.

17. L'Incandescent

@Synthese: Off the top of my head, some other fantastic roses are Attar de Roses (Keiko Mecheri), Rose de Nuit (Lutens), Rossy de Palma (ELDO), Rose Ikebana (Hermes), Une Rose Chypree (Tauer), Eau Rose (Diptyque), Sa Majeste La Rose (Lutens), Lipstick Rose (Malle), Paestum Rose (Eau d'Italie), Fantasia de Fleurs (Creed), Opone (Diptyque), Silk Mood (Kurkdjian), Rose Oud (Kilian) and No. 22 (Chanel). I'm sure there are some obvious ones I'm forgetting. I'm out of town, and so I don't have my fragrances to look at.

@Fred G. Unn: Neroli Portofino is consistently one of the best sellers in the Private Blend lineup. That's what i hear anyway. (I don't have access to official sales figures.)

1 person likes this.
  18. Fred G. Unn

Tonight Memoir Man for me, Acqua Fiorentina for she.

19. California Dreamer

20. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Today: Yohji Homme - lovely licorice that makes it similar to Heeley Cuir Plein Fleur