1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

I went into the wayback machine and pulled out a sample of Geir Ness today. When I first started hanging around Basenotes, this was one of the most popular crowd faves. For some reason I never hear about it anymore. I have mixed feelings about it - there's an aquatic note that really bothers me so I have to wear it very light, but aside from that it's a very nice floral.

2. kulata

kulata Well-Known Member

Aramis Havana today

3. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

Never nosed either Pure Malt or A Men but if I understand what you're looking for, you might try Fumidus by Profumum--maybe the quintessential Scotch and cigars fragrance. Starts off almost too much jazz-nightclub-the-morning-after, but it quickly mellows out to something that just feels like you've had a comfortable and pleasant evening with Churchill and Hemingway...or maybe Simon Fraser on June 7th...and the night's still young.

4. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Nice to have you post here DWFII, I've done a lot of searching on the old, old Basenotes forums for good information about pre-Aventus fragrances and saw you posting there relatively often. :)

5. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Today: Frederic Malle Noir Epices - VERY Guerlainade. I get a hybrid between Mitsouko and Derby, so not bad at all.

6. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

Thank you. I'm not an expert on fragrances by any means. But I'm old school enough that I prefer fragrances that are not "gender confused", as who should say. I thought Basenotes was a great source of information and learning but I encountered too many people over there that didn't understand that perspective. The notes I prefer are notes that I encounter in my life and that I think represent my outlook on life--leather, Scotch, wood shavings, smoke...that kind of thing. Fragrance is just like a suit or a pair of shoes, IMO--it is another aspect of the "face" we present to the world.

Not for me Chanel #5. :tinfoil:

YMMV

--

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  7. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

I actually switch in between them. :eek: I think written BE looks better but I don't/can't really pronounce it the proper BE way (yet?) so I should probably use AE spellings. Whatever. If I may ask though -- what makes sense about it? :)

I just applied Rocabar lightly today. So I'll apply something different for the evening. Not sure what yet. Maybe Noir Epices?

8. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

Have you ever tried Cumming? (The fragrance, not the activity.) It's very earthy with a strong Scotch note. I have never tried Fumidus, but I 'd be curious to see how it compares.

@b1os: I just thought it made sense since you are a European. When I see Europeans writing English, I find that they typically use British English.

9. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

From the way you describe it, I wouldn't mind trying Cummng, but so far I have not.

Actually, I got some really good advice when I was first on Basenotes and one of them was to check out the The Perfumed Court where they sell decants mostly. But between the advice and what I found on TPC, I just hit upon some fragrances that I liked fairly early on. I didn't have to try a whole bunch of different fragrances...some aquatic, some floral, some food related or Oud related...So I didn't have too many missteps. Yatagan was one I'm still undecided about...sometimes I like it, sometimes I just think its weird.

I occasionally like Kolnisch Jucten, both the vintage and the more contemporary. And the Vintage Creed Tabarome.

And those..along with the Eau du Fier and the Fumidus...are the ones I stick to, pretty much--it's hard enough running down even decants of these, without adding to the list. In all my 67 years, I've never run across a fragrance that better expressed my outlook on life than Eau du Fier and Fumidus a close second.

The fragrance world is moving in a direction that I'm not excited about...and has been since my college days, at least--almost 50 years ago. In fact that's what drove me to BN and TPC...looking for something that I could wear without fear of a pollen seeking honeybee in my ear. :)

--

10. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

DWFII have you tried Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford?

You should also check out Sombre Negre by Yosh because it smells like the finest rolling tobacco.

11. engar

engar Well-Known Member

Today Millesime Imperiale sampled, not impressed.

12. sjmin209

sjmin209 Well-Known Member

13. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

Sampling : Narciso Rodriguez for Him. Very musky, maybe not right for the stinking hot day we are about to have.

14. sjmin209

sjmin209 Well-Known Member

Narciso Rodriguez for HIm is one of my favorites. It has a weird note (some call it "wet pavement") that some find to be off-putting, but which seals the deal for me.

15. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

I think I have smelled Tuscan Leather at a men's wear shop. But as I said I pretty much have a favourite for every base note I want to project.

The trouble with "leather" fragrances is that none of them really and truly smell like leather. I'm surrounded by leather all day so perhaps my olfactory nerves are inured to it but most chrome tan leather has no smell to speak of and the naturally bark tanned leather smell is pretty earthy and dense.

Baker outsole...the premier bark tanned soling leather in the world smells almost like truffles in dirt...or as one wag put it "like beer hall vomit." I don't agree in the least little bit with that last sentiment, but while attractive to me, most people would not find the smell "pretty" in any sense of the word. Leather itself doesn't smell sweet by any means.

So what do "leather" fragrances smell like? Like the conditioners and emollients that are rubbed into leather--mostly beef and sheep tallow, lanolin and occasionally cod oil (which, after some aging smells remarkably sweet), combined with some additional fragrance. Vintage English Leather is redolent of Properts Saddle Soap, for instance. Kolnisch Jucten smells like Russia calf but the critical base note there is the birch tar that is used in the tanning and dressing.

16. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

I found out that the perfumer was Francis Kurkdjian, which is pretty impressive for a pharmacy fragrance that's often on discount.

17. gong

gong Well-Known Member

Yeah you asked me but I only gave it a small sampling then, I gave it a full wearing today. I really don't see or understand how people can have such revolting reactions to M/Mink, it smells odd but it's definitely not unwearable; I wore it to work today. Unsweetened honey and ink is the best description I've found.

18. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

what does ink smell like?

19. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

I agree with gong that M/Mink smells like really dense ink. Have you ever smelled ink from an ink well? Or after a pen explodes? It's in the ballpark of that.

20. Maquis

Maquis Well-Known Member

SOTD: 3ème Homme...