1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

This is one of the Bonds I like the best. To my nose it's an improved version of Silver Mountain Water.

So, I just tried the brand new Tom Ford Noir today. (I didn't just try it, I bought a bottle too.) Reviews online for this have been mostly negative so far, at least from what I've seen. I think I get where they're coming from, but nonetheless I actually enjoy the scent quite a bit. It's quite demure for a Tom Ford, a bit like Violet Blonde in that regard. It's quite powdery and vanilla sweet, especially as it dries down, and might therefore remind some of Habit Rouge. (I only know the edt of Habit Rouge, FWIW.) But there's a lot of other things going on too. The top is more bracing and herbal, with some pepper and violet leaf. (That's what I'm picking up at least.) But what I really like about this is that it's quite dirty, especially at the midpoint or so of its development. When news of this scent first came out, I was excited to hear that it featured civet. Well, the civet is not amped up to Jicky levels or anything like that, but there's definitely enough to add some skank.

For people who are concerned about such things, I experience this is definitely leaning masculine until pretty far into the drydown, where it becomes comfortably unisex. (Although there are those who would argue, with some cause, that my descriptions of gender appropriateness are unreliable.)

2. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Happy to help out. I picked up Bvlgari Omni Coral, Elie Saab parfum, Tom Ford Violet Blonde, and Vera Wang Lovestruck.

3. L'Incandescent

Weren't you planning to get Prada Candy too? Do you like that one?

4. CalTex

CalTex Well-Known Member

Chanel COROMANDEL but after I applied it I wasn't sure if it was a women'f fragrance so I washed it off.

Byred Baudelaire, which I really like. I need to buy a bottle...anyone want to buy a S.T. Dupont lighter or Cutter?

5. L'Incandescent

Coromandel is definitely appropriate for men. It's really an extraordinary scent.

6. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

Why do you wash something off because you were not sure whether it's a women's fragrance? Did you like it or not? That's everything that should matter.

First fragrance-free day in months.

7. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

None of these are for me. They're for the person I used to take care of. I was looking for Candy but its currently listed as out of stock, along with Bottega Vanetta, Balenciaga L'Essence, and DOT by Marc Jacobs. Still looking for those at a discount.

Meh on Coromandel. Never got the love for that one.

8. I am DIL

I am DIL Well-Known Member

Lovestruck is delicious, Rambodog.

9. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Seriously!!! :confused:

10. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Yeah, they loved it after one sample. Was cheap as dirt after the coupon so I figured why not. You should have your lady friend try Elie Saab. Now that shit is good.

11. TintoTerra

TintoTerra Well-Known Member

I love Coromandel, but only when I apply it sparingly.

Wearing Gucci Pour Homme tonight. There's a particular aldehyde in this that is also in cdg 2men and rose 31 that smells like a snuffed candle. I used to like it, but now I find it sort of nausea inducing. Wish I'd gone w something else.

12. I am DIL

I am DIL Well-Known Member

She loves Elie Saab -- good suggestion. I bought her some Marc Jacobs a while back, but I think she'd appreciate something different this time round.

13. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of Elie Saab - it's a well-made perfume.

14. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

It sure is. That and Bottega Vanetta are my favorite of the recent department store releases.

15. L'Incandescent

Pre-shower: Cruel Intentions. This is among my favorites from the by Kilian line. There's a rich, velvety rose that I like a lot. I really like the Kilian scents that feature rose, I've noticed.

SOTD: Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche. I've read in lots of places that Chanel is either discontinuing this or else just pulling it from major retailers and making it a boutique exclusive. I've noticed that my local Nordstrom no longer has it. Saks had it, but they had removed the price tags from the boxes, oddly enough. This is far and away the class of the Allure series, at least on the men's side.

16. mkarim

mkarim Well-Known Member

Any reviews of Chanel Bleu for men?

17. mkarim

mkarim Well-Known Member

Thinking of taking the plunge on this one. It's either this or Chanel Bleu.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  18. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

Actually applied some L'Instant pour Homme before going to bed last night. ;)

Today, Caron - L'Anarchiste.

19. L'Incandescent

FWIW, I'd definitely go with TdH over BdC. I think Bleu is quite good for what it is, but what it is is a fresh scent that's similar to a lot of other scents on the market.

Have you given Voyage d'Hermes a try? I think it's really an underappreciated scent in the Hermes lineup. (I'm pretty certain HORNS would agree with that too.)

20. mkarim

mkarim Well-Known Member

I don't have any Hermes cologne. I have MontBlanc's Individuel, YSL L'Homme and Bvlgari Aqua.