1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. crdb

crdb Well-Known Member

No no, I'm very familiar with both and it was definitely vetiver. I just couldn't find the vetiver roots wherever they were (didn't particularly spend a long time searching). It is, I have to say, a perfect scent for the current weather!

1 person likes this.
  2. haTTer

haTTer Well-Known Member

If you're in TST East, drop by Hotel ICON and ask for me.

3. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Well-Known Member

Forgot how much I enjoyed the (easily obtained) Cartier Declaration. A wonderfully stinky Ellena juice that hearkens back to the old classics. Great for the hottest summer months.

3 people like this.
  4. crdb

crdb Well-Known Member

I'm back in Singapore, alas. Funny thing is my wife actually knows your name, it seems you are the "life" of the hotel and the travel community keeps mentioning you in reviews (which she read when she was looking up places to stay). I think that's as good feedback as it can get for a hotel manager...

It's funny, but in a way I think TST is more liveable than HK Island proper (especially Sheung Wan). The streets are much more logical (except having to cross underground next to 1818, that's quite annoying), traffic is better, there's no damn hills and stairs everywhere. And you're closer to the "good" hikes (but, I guess, further from Stanley, Lamma, etc.). It could be that I was influenced by how comfortable Singapore is (wide streets, malls everywhere, etc.).

Equipage has been a strong clean soapy scent for the whole morning. I'm surprised at how differently I perceive it from the first time. No tobacco, no harshness. Let's see how it survives my next meeting, there's a good 5 minute walk in the bright sun of Clarke Quay this Tuesday afternoon.

5. haTTer

haTTer Well-Known Member

I'll look you up in Singapore if you're there mid July ?

6. crdb

crdb Well-Known Member

I'll be around, looking forward to it.

7. haTTer

haTTer Well-Known Member

8. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

Intense Cafe, which Montale obviously meant to call Intense Rose, but there was a typo on the label.

9. TheShoeMaker

TheShoeMaker Well-Known Member

Vetiver is a grass and smells like hay. :)

10. crdb

crdb Well-Known Member

Hmm, I respectfully disagree - perfumery extracts the essential oil from the roots, and having grown up in frequent contact with hay (dried, both in a bale and being broken from it with a pitchfork, drying in a bale, and wet on the field freshly cut) it's a scent I know very well. In Liquo by Campagna, I can distinctly smell drying hay.

I suspect it was the old guy in front of me who was wearing a vetiver scent. Only logical explanation...

11. crdb

crdb Well-Known Member

Big dose of Givenchy Gentleman vintage as SOTE. The scent feels quite unbalanced; first, a powdery spicy profile, then, the moss comes on quite strongly. I'll have to try it during the day.

12. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Today I'm wearing a heavy dose of Geranium Pour Monsieur.

1 person likes this.
  13. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

TF Soleil Blanc. It's a summer scent (as you'd guess from the name) with coconut, a bit of lime, some warm spices (cardamom I think), and some white floral notes. It's nice, but I'm just not a big fan of this kind of fragrances. I got a sample because I try pretty nearly everything that Tom Ford releases. (I won't lie, though, I've stopped trying the new blue/green bottle releases.)

14. sjmin209

sjmin209 Well-Known Member

Slumberhouse Kote today

15. crdb

crdb Well-Known Member

Tried New York by Nicolai. Wife: "It's strong. Wow, it's really strong. You smell like a pimp."

Washed it off.

16. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

This evening I put on Nirmal by Laboratorio Olfattivo.

17. crdb

crdb Well-Known Member

After a 3 hour non stop meeting, I left the client office thinking a nice lunch was in order.

Absinthe's new chef does not try and compete with the most upscale restaurants in Singapore, like Gunther's or Les Amis. Instead, it's light French cuisine, closer to what a good home cook could do, with some touches like caviar on the otherwise standard salmon carpaccio. The interior is comfortable without being ridiculous, there is no music, and the location is ideal right next to CBD, indeed just a few steps from where I was. The target market is the business luncher who is a bit fed up with foie gras everything and bow tie wearing waiters. I had a very civilised lunch.

This, to me, is what today's SOTD, Givenchy Vetiver vintage, was like. Clean, understated, well realised; it's out of the way when you do not want to think about it, but it's there when you need it and it's beautiful. I do not know the species of vetiver that was sourced, but it's different from more modern vetivers like Encre Noire, less spicy, less pungent, more reserved. Yet persistence was stellar - half a day has passed and it is identical to its opening. Slowly, this is becoming one of my top 3 scents, and it's the vetiver I want to wear.

18. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

Cuir de Russe today. One of those leather scents you can wear in all situations, unlike some of the more shouty ones around.

1 person likes this.
  19. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Today I'm wearing Amouage Epic Man.

20. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Well-Known Member

Le parfum de Therese today. I'd wear this almost exclusively if it weren't so damn $$$.