1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Well-Known Member

Good advice - I've been applying a liberal drop and will scale back when I re-test

2. crdb

crdb Well-Known Member

It's been a mere hour and "minimalist dose" Ambrecuir is now a resinous forest drydown similar to some of the other attars reviewed. Projection has attenuated quite a bit, it's almost a skin scent now. Either that or I got used to it. I have to try hard to find that Betadine accord through the pleasant resinous woods. As for the animalics, I cannot find them anymore.

I think he includes in this one some volatile top notes that are very powerful and complex and eventually fly off. Kafkaesque mentioned that "it starts with a very butch leather accord that bears a distinct whiff of smoky black rubber" - whilst that's not at all what I smelled (unless the black rubber is what I call almonds) we seem to share that experience of a power-opening.

I wonder the best strategy with this one. Maybe gradual application of a micro drop every 20 minutes to allow the power top notes to dim down without being overwhelmed, whilst building up sufficient application for decent projection? I know that a colder office environment (my current one is 26 Celsius, most are at 23) will result in more projection. To be experimented with.

edit: 3h40 into it. I thought I was smelling some gardenia, that my mind was playing tricks on me. Slowly, Ambrecuir morphs into the middle hours of Jardin de Borneo Gardenia. The kind of gardenia-lavender-smoky note. Well, that was unexpected.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  3. crdb

crdb Well-Known Member

In the spirit of rediscovering Ambrecuir I thought I'd give Ame Sombre G1 another go.

This time, again with the micro dose, but the profile was the same as with a bigger drop. However, my interpretation is different.

I think what I used to think of as cumin is actually the oud, which is very blue cheese like and slightly spicy (I'm starting to tell the common notes where it is present). Combined with rose, and in part because I've been watching La Grande Belleza, I know exactly what the smell reminds me of: the streets of Rome in spring or Paris in early summer. Perhaps near a park (the flowers) but that underlying smell, can't really describe it, imagine a water pump and you're drinking from it and the background smell is that. Sewer, croissants and rose not necessarily in that order, and the metal of the water pump. Now I have the idea of a Paris street in my head, I can't get it off and this is what Ame Sombre is like for me right now. Funny thing is that Ambrecuir feels very austere when placed next to it: drier, more serious, less overwhelming.

4. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Today I'm wearing Histoires de Parfums 1740.

5. PCK1

PCK1 Well-Known Member

Creed Royal Water today.

6. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

I am wearing Montale Moon Aoud. It's a lovely oud, rose, and saffron accord.

7. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Tonight I'm wearing Mitsouko parfum.

1 person likes this.
  8. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

9. L'Incandescent

Black Orchid Voile de Fleur.

10. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

Today is Speakeasy. Not sure I'm a huge fan; it doesn't seem to assert itself much in my skin.

11. sjmin209

sjmin209 Well-Known Member

That's odd--whenever I wear it, I feel like I spilled a mojito on my chest.

12. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Today was Chanel No 19 eau de cologne. I don't know if they even still make the EdC.

13. crdb

crdb Well-Known Member

SP Al Hareem again. Roquefort-cowpat again (literally nothing else, certainly no rose I know, and no sandalwood, tobacco or butter). Yes, a little obsessed with SP these days but they're so.... interesting... I can't draw myself back to the Western tradition, yet!

Got a few vintages coming in a couple weeks to break the train. International shipping is so slow...

14. taxgenius

taxgenius Well-Known Member

I was considering ordering the following samples (from TPC) for a summer fragrance. Any recommended changes?

Le Labo The Noir 29

Byredo Super Cedar EDP

Dior Eau Sauvage

Jo Malone Lime Basil & Mandarin

Jo Malone Earl Grey & Cucumber

15. TheShoeMaker

TheShoeMaker Well-Known Member

SOTD Venetian Bergamot. SOTE Tobacco vanille.

16. L'Incandescent

What do you think of the Venetian Bergamot?

17. TheShoeMaker

I think its well balanced and sophisticated but I dont think its my cup of tea, first time wearing it though so maybe it will grow on me. Next week I'll try out my new ouds, one oud a day .. :)

18. TheShoeMaker

I was fairly disappointed with the Byredo Super Cedar. For some reason I have collected 3 sample vials so I think I'll give them away.
    I would probably swap one of the Jo Malones for "orris & sandalwood" and the Byredo for ermenegildo zegna - peruvian ambrette

19. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

I smelled the Byredo Super Cedar the other day and I'm not saying it's just Iso-e super / Molecule 01, but there's not a whole lot else happening there... so if you like the molecule then I guess, but I don't think it's worth any premium for Byredo's version versus Molecule 01 for example.

20. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

I like Noir 29, but it smells more like early fall to me. I recommend substituting Bergamote 22 unless you already own a similar scent.