1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

Just in case anybody is interested, I have had a review published on APJ: Good Girl Gone Bad.

2 people like this.
  2. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

Huh, I just received my bottle of TF Arabian Wood actually and was about to post it up on the decant thread. Weird timing.

Yesterday's scent was testing an old vial I made. Mugler's Angel, Taste of Fragrance series. I think I just find the whole A*Men series too rich and heavy. They certainly perform so that's good I guess, but there's not much nuance. This miniseries/version added in some sort of chili/gourmand layer, again not too shabby but I think the original is still the best.

3. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

SOTD is Narciso Rodriguez for Men. A creation of Francis Kurkdjian, it is a cult favorite among fragheads. To me, it smells like a melancholy version of GIT. Perfect for an overcast, rainy day.

4. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

@Baron

Wearing Tauerville Amber Flash as my SOTE. This was love at first smell. My favorite amber of all time is TF Amber Absolute, but this might be a very close competitor. It opens up bright, somewhat boozy (vanilla) and smoky. But what really sets this apart is a patchouli note that becomes more prominent as the scent dries down, giving the scent a surprisingly earthy feel.

1 person likes this.
  5. Sreezy36

Sreezy36 Active Member

Xerjoff kobe-sotd..... Good stuff , but not sure if I like it more that sweet redemption by kilian

6. California Dreamer

SOTD is Jazz. One of these days I'll finish this bottle. I'm very close to the end of it, and then it will be the first bottle I've ever finished. (Mind you, it was well used-up when I bought it).

7. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

I've never tried this one, but need to find this out.

8. sjmin209

sjmin209 Well-Known Member

+NR is a winter staple for me.

9. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

NR is one the few scents I find rather repelling. Something about that super green bitterness, the wet cement, I just find it so unfriendly. Nice bottle though!

10. L'Incandescent

Today I am wearing L'Artisan Parfumeur's Al Oudh. I am thinking about adding this to my informal, entirely subjective, irrelevant-to-everyone-in-the-world-of-fragrance List of Contemporary Classics. It really is a wonderful scent that puts a smile on my face every time I wear it.

1 person likes this.
  11. papillo

papillo Well-Known Member

Nice read.

SOTD: TF Italian Cypress

1 person likes this.
  12. L'Incandescent

SOTE is Tom Ford Noir Extreme. This has nothing in common with Tom Ford Noir except the name. Noir Extreme is a warm, spicy gourmand that has a little bit of that apple pie vibe that seems to have become popular lately. But it's also very much a Tom Ford scent, projecting a sense of vitality and easy confidence. I'm pretty sure there's no perfume house with a higher percentage of winners for me than TF, and this is definitely another one.

2 people like this.
  13. California Dreamer

Today I am sampling Mona di Orio Eau Absolue. I really like this. A bright citrusy opening, but it's the drydown I like; a little bit powdery, with some cedar and a fresh note that I think might be vetiver oil. Sadly it costs a bomb, so my small sample is probably all I'll get.

14. L'Incandescent

Une Fleur de Cassie by Frederic Malle. This is on the short list of my very favorite fragrances.

15. L'Incandescent

Pre-shower: Chez Bond. I almost think this scent alone undermines Bond No. 9's right to be taken seriously as a perfume house. This is such a blatant ripoff of GIT.
    SOTD: Jul et Mad Nea. This is very unusual. It's a sweet, caramel gourmand that's also got a liqueur vibe. I'm not sure whether I like this or not.

16. California Dreamer

Yesterday I wore Cyber Green, which I applied form a roll-on. It's a pleasant enough green fragrance, but from the outset there is something synthetic about it that makes it smell inferior to something like Green Valley. There is very definitely a funny smell that develops from this, which does seem to be vinyl. So I guess the perfume makers managed to achieve what they set out to do; the question is why would anybody want to wear it?

Today is a lot better: Russian Tea. As always, a big lapsang souchong opening. I didn't get as much mint today as I usually smell. It's dried down to tea, birch and a faint labdanum. Still a very nice scent 11 hours after first application.

17. chobochobo

chobochobo Well-Known Member

TF Venetian Bergamot. I bought a flacon in duty free.

18. L'Incandescent

^^ I enjoy that one a lot.

Pre-shower: Féminité du Bois. Don't be put of by the "féminité" part, this is definitely a scent that any man could be comfortable wearing. It's a sharp woody, plummy scent with a healthy dose of cardamom and cinnamon. It's somewhat in the ballpark of Plum Japonais, although the latter is a bit softer and sweeter.

SOTD: True Lust Rayon Violet de Ses Yeux. I've enjoyed this from the first time I tried it (which was right after it came out), but I've been liking it more and more lately. It might be FBW.

19. sjmin209

sjmin209 Well-Known Member

Wore this yesterday. Thje mint led me to wear Malle's Geranium Pour Monsieur today

20. L'Incandescent

For my SOTE I am wearing TF Black Orchid and its flankers (Voile de Fleur and Velvet Orchid) on different parts of my arms. I'm trying to decide which of the three is my favorite. (I don't own the new edt Black Orchid.) I don't think I can decide which one I like best; I alternate between Voile de Fleur and Velvet Orchid. In any event, I'm a big fan of all three.