1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

Terre d'Hermes EDT today. No need to describe this to you guys other than to note that I like it a lot and my wife absolutely hates it. Every now and again I forget that and pay the price of spousal disapprobation for the day.

2. jcman311

jcman311 Well-Known Member

^Its worth the spousal disapproval

Amber absolute today (finally). Man this reminds me a lot of Jubilation xxv. Very good.

3. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

I have samples of Montecristo and Russian Tea. Both are very interesting but very hard to approach. Montecristo is some STANKY stuff, man. Dried hyrax piss - seriously. It just isn't my smell, but I could see someone who lives a clinically-clean life and in such an equivalent environment could wear this fragrance as maybe an aesthetic cantilever to everything else. I don't know, but it's too much for me.

Russian Tea is much easier to approach but is still too dense for my comfort. There's an aromachemical in it that I find way too harsh, and I think it's magnolia. I absolutely love the smell of magnolia blossoms, but what they sometimes call magnolia in perfumery hits me the wrong way.

Today, along with yesterday, I'm wearing Sycomore.

4. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

I do agree that they seem a little 'raw' for lack of a better term. Like a modern rougher L'Artisan line. Haven't tried Montecristo though it's on my list.

SOTD (working through my collection) is the oldie but goodie L'Occitane Eau de Baux. Yep, I'm keeping it. Nice dry woody cypres/incense and vanille. A little simple but I really enjoy this one. 4 sprays and going strong all day. And pretty darn cheap too. Great bang for buck.

5. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

You know, those L'Occitane fragrances are very good - no, they're excellent for their price. I always loved using Cade aftershave. This was pretty much a perfect aftershave for my taste. And their Eau de Vetyver is one of the best vetiver fragrances ever. There are ones that are far better in terms of being just a straight-up vetiver, but Vetyver isn't playing that game. Instead, it is one of those extremely rare ones where the vetiver is first among equal components, and that is extremely hard to pull off.

1 person likes this.
  6. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

I'm wearing Rive d'Ambre by Tom Ford today. It's a bright citrusy scent with a touch of light amber.

7. California Dreamer

Mandarino di Amalfi today. According to Fragrantica, there is no mandarin in this, but that's exactly what I get on the opening. It's lovely. Lasts extraoridnarily well, too, still there after 14 hours. I'm mostly getting vetiver now, although there's still a trace of citrus even now. Excellent stuff. Thanks M-C for the sample.

1 person likes this.
  8. Kempy

Kempy Member

SOTD is Idole de Lubin from Lubin. Interesting scent, opened with a massive booze blast but settled quickly into something mildly spicy. About 4 hours in and there's not much remarkable here.

9. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Today, I'm wearing Rochas Lui.

10. L'Incandescent

It's starting to cool down here in the STL and so I wore L'Air du Desert Marocain by Andy Tauer.

11. jcman311

Serge Lutens Chergui today

12. L'Incandescent

Amour de Palazzo. This is one of the original set of three Jul et Mad scents. It's a warm, animalic labdanum scent that's perfect for cooler weather.

13. sjmin209

sjmin209 Well-Known Member

I wore Chergui yesterday. Today, a sample of Naomi Goodish Iris Cendre. This could be my next full bottle.

14. jcman311

Thats it, its officially Chergui season again

15. California Dreamer

Yesterday I sampled Agonist's Liquid Crystal. Today was CdG Play Green. This opens with a gorgeous blast of mint but, as always, it doesn't last.

I moaned about this to a local perfumer this afternoon, and she showed me her mint, lime and cedar concoction. It's a room spray, but I think it might just do the job. I had a good old chat with her about fragrances. I showed her the limericks I wrote for APJ, which cracked her up. A very nice shop; I'll be going back.

16. L'Incandescent

Amouage Jubilation 25 (the feminine one). It's a classic old-school chypre, completely different from XXV.

17. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Early this day I wore Mysore sandalwood oil. I got back home and put on some Papillon Anubis.

18. California Dreamer

Today I tried out a roll-on EDT from the shop I was at yesterday: Castile de Fleur. This is a new one: Cumquat and Cardamom. I like citrus fragrances in the sunny weather, and I've never tried cumquat in a fragrance. The lady told me that they use cumquat rind, so it's strong. It does indeed open with a fresh, zesty citrus, but it doesn't last that well. about 4 hours later it's almost all gone, with just a faint trace of cardamom close to the wrist.

19. sjmin209

sjmin209 Well-Known Member

I believe that all natural citrus notes rely on oils that are derived from the peels/rinds--that shouldn't make it stronger. Or do you think she meant that they were using natural (as opposed to synthesized) notes?

20. California Dreamer

Natural as opposed to synthetic. It was stronger, but not long-lasting.