• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Suddenly I'm sad I swapped away my bottle of L'Arty Patchouli Patch. Wait - no, I'm not sad - that scent did nothing for me. Should have been called Patchouli Prune. I still have a decant of Dzing! - maybe I'll apply that when I get home to keep up with you lot. Good thing I have a few beers in the cooler being iced down.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Suddenly I'm sad I swapped away my bottle of L'Arty Patchouli Patch. Wait - no, I'm not sad - that scent did nothing for me. Should have been called Patchouli Prune. I still have a decant of Dzing! - maybe I'll apply that when I get home to keep up with you lot. Good thing I have a few beers in the cooler being iced down.
Yeah, PP was a little sweet and too nice for a patchouli frag on me and so I swapped my bottle, too. Instead, my favorite is Montale Patchouli Leaves. It is all that PP wasn't, but not quite the full on hippy-patchouli of some others. It's the Zen balance of Patchouli frags, IMHO.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Yeah, PP was a little sweet and too nice for a patchouli frag on me and so I swapped my bottle, too. Instead, my favorite is Montale Patchouli Leaves. It is all that PP wasn't, but not quite the full on hippy-patchouli of some others. It's the Zen balance of Patchouli frags, IMHO.

During an idle moment at a Bath Junkie store I took a whiff of straight Patchouli oil. Ewww. If the bottle makes reference to Patchouli, I run from the store.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, Noir Epices never thrilled me that much. I think it was interesting, it just felt flat on me... almost like it would be a better Room Spray or Interior Fragrance than a body one.

I dunno... but I love so many of the FM line that I must admit I was a little disappointed in this one.

What about it attracts you, out of curiosity? (I'm only curious because you and I are so often RIGHT TOGETHER on scents that I'm curious if your "nose" is getting something out of NE that I'm not).

Anyway, for me today was Tauer L'air du desert morocain... a very nice, dry, but still sultry scent for late summer/early autumn. I don't know if I like it better than Timbuktu... which feels in the same "universe" to me... but it still is very nice.

John-- Since fragrance is liquid emotion, Noir Epices brings me fond memories of Paris in the wintertime. When I entered the Andre Putman designed Frederic Malle boutique at Rue Grenelle, this is one bottle I picked up and sprayed it on one of the pods, it was love at first smell. It's the gun powder metallic burst coated with warm spices that brought my attention to it. It's nothing like I've ever smelled before on any of my Woody/Oriental collection. The drydown is also quite wonderful on my skin. I tend to gravitate towards strong, robust scents. This one is definitely not shy.

Today, it's Montale's Soleil di Capri. BTW, I wore Tauer's L'Air du Desert Morocain the other day and I layered it with Norma Kamali's "Incense". Do you also get countless compliments when you wear L'air du DM?

FiveFiveFive

Reaction score
Looking for something new since my bottle of Creed is running low, so I picked up some samples of Gris Clair and Santal Blanc by Serge Lutens. Trying the Gris Clair today, and it's ... different. Haven't ever really worn a smoky fragrance before.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I love Gris Clair. Nice blend of lavander and incense. I also like the longevity.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Saturday morning at the office, and wearing John Varvatos. Better than I remember it being.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maharlika
John-- Since fragrance is liquid emotion, Noir Epices brings me fond memories of Paris in the wintertime. When I entered the Andre Putman designed Frederic Malle boutique at Rue Grenelle, this is one bottle I picked up and sprayed it on one of the pods, it was love at first smell. It's the gun powder metallic burst coated with warm spices that brought my attention to it. It's nothing like I've ever smelled before on any of my Woody/Oriental collection. The drydown is also quite wonderful on my skin. I tend to gravitate towards strong, robust scents. This one is definitely not shy. Today, it's Montale's Soleil di Capri. BTW, I wore Tauer's L'Air du Desert Morocain the other day and I layered it with Norma Kamali's "Incense". Do you also get countless compliments when you wear L'air du DM?
Very interesting remarks/commentary, Ren, and I agree that the memory/images sent evokes are definite parts of the bargain. Since we agree about 95% of the time and probably have about the same percentage of scents in our collection, I think it's good that ONCE we'll not agree or have different impressions on a scent.
smile.gif
I do get lots of compliments with the Tauer... it's a very different kind of scent, but one that seems to agree with others' noses. Anyway, it's cooling down today and I'll probably go "old school" with Giorgio Red for Men.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Serge Luten's GRIS CLAIR today.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nasomatto Duro for me, today. I'm quite liking this one as an autumn/winter scent...

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Nasomatto Duro for me, today. I'm quite liking this one as an autumn/winter scent...

eek.gif

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
eek.gif

Come on, T, what didn't you like about this one? It's dark, leathery, with major patchouli and maybe even some agarwood... what's not to like???

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Come on, T, what didn't you like about this one? It's dark, leathery, with major patchouli and maybe even some agarwood... what's not to like???

I got major petroleum from it - maybe it was the agarwood/patchouli combo, but it wasn't working for me at all. Glad it's treating you better than it treated me!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads