1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

Splash Forte today. OK fragrance, lacks longevity.

2. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

I'm pretty excited! Not spamming, just sharing. After months of being lazy I finally decided to make custom labels for my decant bottles. Sourced out a few different gold papers, hunted around for the perfect font, spent time figuring out the letter sizing, then the cutting, then the lamenting, etc and finally done!

Oh and SOTD for the past few days has been ELDO Antiheroes. A sort of plasticky lavender scent. Somewhat interesting but I've smelled better. And I didn't get a lot of longevity. So PASS in my opinion.

3. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

Tilda Swinton Like This is what I am wearing today. It is a modern classic IMO.

4. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

I love Frederic Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire, but the price ($190 for 1.7 oz) is more than I'd like to pay. Went looking for a vetiver substitute at the mall. Had hopes for Tom Ford Grey Vetiver. It smells like Lemon Pledge. Creed's Original Vetiver is just bad. The search continues.

5. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

^Have you tried Sycomore or Encre Noire/Encre Noire Sport/Villoresi's Vetiver?

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  6. Homme

Homme Well-Known Member

I don't mind Antiheros for a summer scent: smells like lavender soap and fades into musk.
    I'm wearing Eau Noire today. Lavender and enough immortelle to kill a water buffalo

7. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Those that b1os recommended are good, and I'd also recommend an excellent vetiver which is Comme des Garcons Vettiveru. I think this is the one you are looking for.

8. California Dreamer

L’Eau d’Hiver today, although it’s still decidedly autumn here.

9. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Today, I'm wearing Santa Maria Novella's Tabacco Toscano, one of the most elegant tobacco fragrances I've ever smelled. I mean elegance in a way that this fragrance is understated, very well-blended, and nuanced. It plays a trick on me in that it seems sweet but it in no way is actually that way.

10. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

Today I am wearing the mighty Coromandel.

2 people like this.
  11. Master-Classter

Yeah, Ambulance Chaser, I think you're chasing the wrong types of vetiver to compare it to. Malle's one is bone dry, hollow, earthy, acris, and coarse. It's a dry texture and very flat. So something more like Encre Noir or maybe Sycomore is more in line. Ford's is a cleaned up Guerlain's, both of which are rather citrusy and fresh, though the tobacco (especially in the Guerlain) gives it a little dirt, but they're both rather liquidy and sparkly. Something like L'artisan's Couer de Vetiver Sacre has elements of what you want, though I find it rather fruity and jammy too, so it's not quite right. MPG's Route de Vetiver might get close to what you want, though I find it's rather oily and sticky and pungent, so it's not as dry but it does have that assertive sharpness of Malles, so that's probably the one I'd recommend after Encre Noir, which personally I think will be the closest version I can think of. I don't have a strong memory for the Villoresi one above but I think it might be in the same veins. I'd stick to niche and 'natural' etc. Also check out Turtle front/back.

Basically you want raw/grainy earthy dry vetiver, nothing fresh or citrus, all cool and earth, etc

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  12. California Dreamer

L’Anonyme today. This one opens with a strong bergamot, but it’s really a soft leather frag in the dry down. It’s OK; unremarkable.

13. jcman311

jcman311 Well-Known Member

First time wearing Terre d'hermes today. Very nice summer scent. Probably will end up getting a bottle of this.

1 person likes this.
  14. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

Tea for Two today. Just found out that I still have a sample left. Totally forgot about it. Have any of you tried the "new" one yet? Same juice?

Tobacco Vanille yesterday.

15. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Today I'm wearing Morabito's Or Black - a super dark, modern, anis fougere.

16. kulata

kulata Well-Known Member

TF Amber Absolute today

Would also like feedback on the new Tea for Two

17. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Well-Known Member

If you've tried it, how would you describe Heely's Vetiver Veritas compared to the ones you describe here?

18. eglbc

eglbc Well-Known Member

I ordered from h. lorenzo in LA. Baby & co in seattle carries a little bit. Really hard to find, i tried the whole range in berlin thinking i could find it elsewhere, only to get back to the states and realize its impossible to find. Their candles, diffusers, packaging, complete lack of marketing, everything really is exactly what I look for in a house. Highly recommended.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. eglbc

eglbc Well-Known Member

SOTD is CB I HATE PERFUME at the beach 1966.
    Sun is shining and so is this scent. Bright sandalwood, salty, and sweet notes of coppertone.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. Master-Classter

Haven't tried it sorry!