1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

I wore Parure by Guerlain today.

1 person likes this.
  2. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

Opium PH was one of my only instabuys. I still remember exactly the first time I smelled it and got teh bottle right away. It happened to have been a vintage bottle (edt), and later I read up on it and realized it had both anise and some kind of berries or black currants or something so both notes I like. I considered it as my signature scent for a while actually.

I would describe it as a warm spicey aromatic... heck now that I'm trying to describe it I'm not really sure what to say. I mean maybe somewhere between Rive Gauche without the cream and Jubilation XXV? I personally really like it, even in it's current and edt form. Some people swear the EdP is much better but I've never felt like it was missing anything.

I'm not sure the going rate these days but for $40-50 I personally think it's a great scent. I believe the older bottle is the solid blue box or circle or something? There's a thread on Basenotes somewhere about the different formulations.

SOTD - AdP Colognia Intensa. I'm wearing and evaluating my collection and so far this one is making the cut. There are a lot of citruses and various takes on classic EdC out there but there's a reason the AdP's have stuck around this long. They're good!

3. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

What I read about the reformulations seems to indicate that my Opium PH is the post-Loreal product, and has been the subject of much angst. I’ll still unzip it and give it a spin, just to try it out. At the price I paid, no big deal if it doesn’t work out.

4. L'Incandescent

Byredo Seven Veils. I've always been on the fence about this one, but for some reason I'm enjoying it a lot today. It's more of a fall/winter scent, but it's a very grey morning here in STL and so it feels perfect.

It reminds me a bit of Opium pour Homme, actually. But Seven Veils is less spicy and the vanilla is more prominent.

5. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial

Also a grey morning - wearing an old Toy Machine t-shirt and Oud Cuir d'Arabie. Someday I'll buy a bottle.

1 person likes this.
  6. jcman311

jcman311 Well-Known Member

Guerlain Habit Rouge edt. Not bad. First time trying it. At first I thought it was a subtle rose scent but after it dried I got more vanilla, citrus, and spice. Good for a cool day here (45 degrees)

7. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Today is cool and raining, so I am wearing Jubilation XXV.

8. Homme

Homme Well-Known Member

Today is cool and windy so I'm wearing bois d'encens. Doesn't last long unforch, 6 hours in and almost undetectable

9. California Dreamer

Looks like it is cool everywhere in the world today. I broke out my Opium PH today. I thought the opening was a bit harsh, but it’s a pretty good scent on the skin. Probably doesn’t last quite long enough on my skin. but it will certainly get another run.

10. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

I really need to try Opium Pour Homme - I have a bottle of the vintage Opium but honestly only knew that there was a men's version a little over a year ago.

11. L'Incandescent

I bet y'alls buns-heads can guess what I am wearing today that's right it is Opium PH. I've owned this since the year 2008, but I don't wear it a lot because I'm not a big fan. As CD mentioned, the opening is quite harsh--it's very peppery. It dries down into a sweet, vanillic oriental. It's got an old-school vibe to it, and it's definitely better for fall/winter.

12. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial

Once, about two years ago, I went to a pirate-themed party, and for the finishing touch to my dashing ensemble I saturated myself and the neckerchief I was wearing in Jicky, thereby completing my transformation into a delightfully charming swashbuckling hero. I got a headache, and I haven't worn Jicky since.

UNTIL TODAY, when I am wearing Jicky, and am feeling largely indifferent to it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    3 people like this.
  13. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Today I am wearing Gomma, by Etro. This is a scent I like, and its comparisons to Knize Ten are apt, but Gomma is heavier on the aldehydes and less heavy on the flowers compared to Knize Ten.

14. L'Incandescent

You guys are not gonna believe what I switched into for SOTE it is Opium (the feminine version). I like it much better than the pour Homme version.

15. California Dreamer

Tam Dao. It brought good luck - my agent called to tell me I’ve landed a job, after 6 months looking.

4 people like this.
  16. L'Incandescent

I am wearing The Afternoon of a Faun today. One of my very favorites.

Also, I just learned that ELDO has a new fragrance out called Remarkable People. I'm looking forward to trying it, even though I'm not sure what to make of the notes. According to fragrantica, the top notes are grapefruit, champagne and cardamom; middle notes are jasmine, curry tree and black pepper; base notes are labdanum, sandalwood and lorenox.

17. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

That sounds really good.

Today I'm wearing Lavender Palm. Is it simple as hell? Yest, but it's the best lavender fragrance I have ever smelled, and that means a hell of a lot.

18. jcman311

jcman311 Well-Known Member

Knize ten. Simply put I dont like it. I dont get the "leather" that everyone talks about, just incense and patchouli.

Remarkable People sounds interesting...

19. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

Ahhhh, Knize Ten. One of my very favorites. Interestingly, I also didn't like it at first and I gave away a 10ml decant. It was just too...I don't know, perfumey? Old fashioned? It just struck a strange chord with me. I think scents with big floral components struck me this way - I was focussed and disturbed by a certain element, and for that, couldn't really smell past it.

20. noirwest

noirwest Well-Known Member

Today it's Masculin Pluriel by Maison Francis Kurkdjian. I'm really liking this one, big old school fougere, silage is great on me. I'm not sure if it's better than a similar scent, Narcisso Rodriguez For Him but enjoyable nonetheless.