1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

Aha, now you are being evasive, which proves that you've got something to hide (namely a lie).

2. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

So, last night, I put vintage Chanel Pour Monsieur on my left wrist and the current one on my right. The citrus in the current one was stronger, sharper, and more "hissy", but it died away quickly to where the next thirty minutes both were similar except for a little stronger oakmoss in the vintage. Then, an hour and a half later, the two diverged to where there was a relatively powerful labdanum in the current one and a classic chypre drydown in the vintage. So, last night, with one of my all-time favorites, I really understood the impact that the restrictions have had on our olfactory works of art. It really is like banning a shade of a color of paint.

Today, I'm wearing Bel Ami Vetiver - I love the petroleum aspect of this, which I don't hear much of when this is discussed.

1 person likes this.
  3. L'Incandescent

I'm wearing MFK Pluriel Feminin today. I enjoy it quite a lot; as I think I've mentioned before, it's very broadly similar to Jour d'Hermès.

4. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

Wearing Creed Aventus today.

Thinking about buying the Tom Ford Private Blend Sampler from STC. What scents listed would you recommended for Spring/Summer? I already own samples of Oud Wood and Tobacco Vanille.

5. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

yo, I'll just send you a sample pack for free. PM incoming

1 person likes this.
  6. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

Like banning some of the most interesting chords from music.

7. L'Incandescent

Like banning the Holy Spirit from the Trinity.

8. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Today I am wearing Au Dela Narcisse des Montagnes - a lovely classic chypre with an intense rubbery green narcissus note.

9. L'Incandescent

TF Arabian Wood. I'm inclined to say that this is one of the most underrated TF fragrances, but that's not quite right. It's not so much underrated as it is forgotten. It opens up sharp and green, but also with a waxy makeup note, but develops quickly from there into a lovely floral bouquet.

10. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

It's a very floral fragrance to me, and I think you nailed it with the "waxy" descriptor. I haven't smelled it in a while, but Arabian Wood reminds me of Comme des Garcons 2 for women.

Speaking of Tom Ford, I got my Bois Marocain in the mail today.

1 person likes this.
  11. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

I got to sample some scents from a new niche line that's being launched in June and I have to say, I was impressed. I smelled two roses, one in particular that I think will be very popular, and a lovely lavender that seems to be a modern take on Pour Un Homme. I don't think I can say more but if there's some press about the line I'll link to it.

1 person likes this.
  12. sacafotos

sacafotos Well-Known Member

Just got my samples of Ambre Baldessarini and Aramis Havana.

The Ambre is very good, but reminds me of Nuit d'Issey with a big apple top note. Not quite what I wanted.

I think I'll still buy the Dunhill Custom I was after. I disagree with the "customer comparisons": Ambre smells nothing like DC. Nothing. But still good!

13. kulata

kulata Well-Known Member

SOTD Tom of Finland by Etat Libre d’Orange

3 people like this.
  14. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

today I'm wearing bottega veneta, and not the mens, the "womens" one. I've used this sample probably 3-4 times now and I still find this just really really pleasant. It's above harmless, nowhere near my usual offensive, and it's just a tad womanly, and yet, I just really enjoy wearing it. I'm pretty tempted to get a bottle of this. It's sort of what I was looking for but didn't quite click with in Daim Blond

15. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

CB Where We Are There Is No Here. I swear the opening of this smells like celery, but it dries down OK, to a sort of jasmine and amber scent. Good, versatile choice for a day when the temperature range is from 12 to 28 and we are getting sunshine, cold, rain and thunderstorms.

I forgot to post yesterday that I wore Nina Ricci Club. This is one of my favourites among my vintage collection; a strong bergamot opening followed by an evolving, smooth fragrance with a lot going on. Good projection and longevity as well.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  16. L'Incandescent

Pre-shower: TF Urban Musk. The best of the TF musk series IMO. For some reason I think of this as a spring/summer scent. It's probably because I acquired it in the summer.
    SOTD: Voyage d'Hermès. I think I've come to the realization that I don't like cardamom. There are two fragrances I think I'd really love if the cardamom were turned down a notch--this and Lyric Woman. I just find it too rich.

17. California Dreamer

Someone was asking a while back about Tauerville and Rose Flash. I took the opportunity to ask Andy Tauer about it on FB. This is his reply:

Tauerville

18. sacafotos

sacafotos Well-Known Member

Aramis Havana = WOW!

Smells like Tom Selleck's musk after a week at Burning Man.

1 person likes this.
  19. L'Incandescent

SOTE is Rose Flash. It's a big, resiny rose with huge sillage and projection.

20. California Dreamer

Bois Farine today. This is supposed to be a woody fragrance, but to me it comes across more as a gourmand. I get freshly-baked bread and almonds, as much as I get any woodsy smells. Wife is not keen. I don’t know; maybe I’ll sell this one.