1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

By Killan Straight to Heaven today

2. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

For the first day of the new school year (yesterday) I wore Ta'if by Ormonde Jayne. That is near the top of my list of favorite fragrances.
    Today was Oud Silk Mood. That's also near the top.

3. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I forgot about Hinoki.

4. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

Lubin Le Vetiver today, from a decant. Not doing it for me, really.

5. L'Incandescent

My favorite 2014 releases are Eau de Magnolia (Malle) and Rose Flash (Tauer).

Looking back, there were a lot of disappointments for me among the 2014 releases. I was looking forward to both new Tom Fords--Violet Orchid and Patchouli Absolu--but I didn't like either. And Rosa Nobile from Acqua di Parma was nice, but not what I was hoping for. Same for Rose Cut by Ann Gerard. And ELDO Rien Intense Incense was a bit of a letdown as well--basically the original Rien with a big dose of aldehydes at the top.

I'm definitely looking forward to ELDO True Lust, which comes out in February.

EDIT: SOTE is Parfum d'Hermes. Pretty nearly the same thing as Rouge.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. Lowndes

Lowndes Well-Known Member

So yesterday I received my Creed Samples from Surrender to Chance and tried Aventus yesterday and Green Irish Tweed today. I'm a complete novice so not good at picking out the different smells but realy liked Aventus. Smelled really unique for lack of a better word. I also like GIT a lot but it definitely smells very familiar to me somehow. One thing is certain is that I've been missing out by not wearing cologne for the past decade!

One question though: where do you apply the cologne? Wrist, ears, neck? Is there a preferred spot?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  7. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Well-Known Member

8. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Do NOT worry about notes right now - just let it be a non thinking, visceral experience with each wearing. And be confident in what smells good to you because it really only matters to you because everyone will have a fragrance that they really like, but which many people with more experience will hate or consider mediocre.

I apply to my chest.

Oh, and Green Irish Tweed is an analogue to Cool Water, therefore being similar to hundreds if not thousands of copycats.

1 person likes this.
  9. Lowndes

Lowndes Well-Known Member

Thanks, appreciate the reply. I read that applying on the chest was good but wear a suit and tie everyday so figured that it would be covered up by my shirt. Maybe I should just apply a bit more though.

10. culverwood

culverwood Well-Known Member

Upper chest and wrist for me.

11. L'Incandescent

I'm wearing Amouage Fate Man today. This is a fantastic immortelle and cumin scent.

I never put fragrance on my chest. I just put it on my wrists and a little on my neck. This is probably unreasonable, but I wear a suit every day to work and I worry about my ties being that close to my fragrance.

12. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

I'm wearing the last few drops of my Knize Ten today, topped off with a spritz of Cuir Mauresque because there was so little left of the Knize. I need to buy another bottle of this, it's really one of my favorites.

1 person likes this.
  13. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

In some instances there is no right or wrong answer for example, Tom Ford Tobacco vanilla is a powerhouse of projection, the chest is the perfect spot for that in my opinion (some would disagree), Green Irish tweed for example has a pretty standard projection and its a safe scent so a spray to the upper check/neck or wrist is going to work either way.

Great to hear you got your samples already and are off to a good start :)

Tom Ford London today forgot I had it actually, not a bad scent but forgettable as well.

14. L'Incandescent

^^ I thought London was just so-so when I first tried it, but then after a few wearings I started having cravings for it. Now I enjoy it very much.

15. culverwood

culverwood Well-Known Member

Vetivier Extraordinaire today, is it too subtle?

16. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

Mark Birley today; my job interview scent. Fingers crossed.

2 people like this.
  17. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Stuff like Vetiver Extraordinaire and Dior Vetiver are in fact subtle, but they are subtle (or nuanced?) for those who are vetiver fans and in that case they are wonderful.

18. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Today I pulled out one I haven't worn in months and months: Cuir Pleine Fleure - leather, cumin, and violet. It's dirty and soft and there's really nothing out there like it. This uniqueness in a world with too many fragrances is pretty damn rare these days. This is one of those fragrances, because of its dirtiness from cumin and some rich animalic notes combined with the masterful blending with the leather and violet, that can be used on the weekend or to the ballet. Yeah, I said ballet - I love ballet.

19. L'Incandescent

POAL for me today. I'm wearing all my favorites lately.

1 person likes this.
  20. L'Incandescent

Stilettos on Lex is my SOTE. Fantastic musky floral scent with rose and iris. There's also a bit of violet leaf, which I normally don't like but which works well in this one.

Has anyone else here tried anything from the Jul et Mad lineup?