• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This morning: Diptyque Volutes, which happens to smell a lot like Dior Homme to me as well.

really??? :puzzled:

Will have to check if it's Volutes or something else I was sniffing.

ETA: Volutes Edp from a sample Rambro sent. Maybe it's the drydown that throws me: Dior Homme consistently goes to Cocoa Puffs + lipstick after a few hours or a good run.

Sorry, I'm talking about the EdT instead of the EdP. I was testing both last night on blotters and found the EdT to be drier in the beginning and more like the Dior Homme. I also had a sample of DH and sprayed it on a blotter last night as well.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today: Dior Leather Oud - some musty, dirty **** right here. It is a smell I'd imagine Viking Berserkers smelling like after getting off their long boats and ready to crack some skulls open.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Today: Dior Leather Oud - some musty, dirty **** right here. It is a smell I'd imagine Viking Berserkers smelling like after getting off their long boats and ready to crack some skulls open.

I like Leather Oud a lot, but i fear that it's just too butch for the likes of me.

FWIW, I am wearing Al Oudh now. (I had to take an extra shower owing to some car repair activities, so I figured I'd put on a new scent.)

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was looking at the scent pyramid for Leather Oud on Fragrantica and noticed that there is no cumin, which I find strange because that is a BIG component in the dry-down for me.

I took a shower for a beer tasting dinner tonight, so I switched: Les Nuits d'Hadrien - one of my all-time favorites and a long time since I've worn it as well. Why with a beer tasting? A few years ago I spent a week touring breweries in Upper Bavaria and brought along only this fragrance, so there's a strong olfactory memory context that Nuits and beer drinking have with each other.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Alternately, I think Master-Classter might have still have a bottle of Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta he's willing to part with. It's got a nice orangey/bergamot/citrus opening, with an interesting musky (and I think a bit powdery) dry down. It seems old world to me; sophisticated but a but louche as well. It's a good deal, so you should PM him for more info if it sounds interesting.

yepper, still available. PM if interested. I agree, it's a sort of old world classic Eyetalian gentleman / dandy type fragrance. Citrus, bit floral, some wood, and soft drydown.

This morning: Diptyque Volutes, which happens to smell a lot like Dior Homme to me as well.

really??? :puzzled:

Lol, T that's exactly what I said out loud! I didn't see any similarity there either, so huh? :embar:

SotD = Creed's Spice & Wood. Actually quite nice! it's a dry spicey wood with some incense, pepper, etc. Sort of light wearing but present, gone after 4-5 hour max though. It's not crazy priced, but still nowhere near acceptable. 250ml size only, $640 + 13% taxes... ouch!

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OK, I looked back on my samples of Dior Homme and have one from the bottle with the metal tube in the middle and then one with the black plastic tube down the middle. The sample I'm comparing to Volutes is the one with the black tube.

Last summer, when I got these samples from Sephora, there were two samples out and both were simply Dior Homme (not Intense) and I noticed at that time there was a difference and so asked for two separate samples. I am not sure where the other sample went.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Attar de Roses by Keiko Mecheri for m today. This is definitely one of my favorite roses.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today: Le Labo Iris 39.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Attar de Roses by Keiko Mecheri for m today. This is definitely one of my favorite roses.

I almost chose it. Went for Bois de Santal at the counter though.

So, early morning: TdH.
Midday: Keiko Mecheri - Bois de Santal. Smelled good, unfortunately poor sillage/longevity.
Afternoon: Byredo - Bouillon. This has good sillage. And smells good.

Maquis

Reaction score
SOTD: Derby reissue with a tiny bit of Knize Ten thrown in for good measure. It was actually really nice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads