1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

Hermes Terre D'Hermes is a modern classic. It's fresh and clean and wearable at any time, during any season.

1 person likes this.
  2. rossoz

rossoz Well-Known Member

b1os and Amb... Chaser,

Thanks... I will try the Hermes this weekend.

Cheers,

3. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

@rossoz

Hanae Mori HiM is a pretty standard late 2000s/early 2010s warm spicy masculine. The top is spicy with pepper and cinnamon. It develops into a warm amber scent. Also, like many recent masculines, there's a fairly prominent violet leaf. I would describe the scent as nice, but not a fragrance classic by any means.

Hanae Mori HM is a sweet gourmand. It's very lemony and sweet at the top; it reminds me a bit of Skittles. Again, I think it's nice, but not really more than that.

TF Noir is a civety, peppery scent that develops into something very powdery, a bit like the drydown of Habit Rouge. I bought a bottle as soon as it came out, but now I regret it. I don't really like it at any stage of its development. That said, this definitely has its fans. It won some awards the year it came out. (Those awards should always be taken with a grain of salt, though.)

And as others have suggested, Terre is a contemporary classic.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. Petepan

Petepan Well-Known Member

I found Bulgari Black to be a bit screechy on the synthetics.

5. rossoz

rossoz Well-Known Member

L...,

Thanks for the descriptions.........

6. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

I get why it was important - it's in interesting scent and it's original, but I have a hard time with scents that don't develop over time. That one just hammers home the same notes for hours. That effect is incredibly fatiguing to me.

1 person likes this.
  7. L'Incandescent

I decided to wear Hanae Mori HM as my SOTE since rossoz's post reminded me of it.

8. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

Another half-price sale today. 1725, 1740, Ambre 114, Prada Amber and Atelier Grand Neroli. Might need to back off a little now and enjoy my ill-gotten gains.

Sample of Ciel Homme today. Pretty much a straight lavender, quite nice on a sunny spring day.

9. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

Are you talking about the Malle Dries? Because that's the way I feel about that one. I've worn it a few times and find it at first interesting, then just relentless.

The past few days I've worn some reconstituted samples from Lorenzo Villoresi, which is a line I wish i would find around in North America. I had some samples from that swap box from ages ago which had basically dried out so I poured in some rubbing alcohol and shook every few days and they're sort of back to normal. I love their blue bottles and wish I would find the line somewhere (NYC?) because i'm very interested in the juice. Anyone have any experience and thoughts about the line in terms of their style, quality, prices, etc (besides piper nigrum please, I've heard all about it already ;-))

10. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

Mona di Orio - Oud

11. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

I was talking about Bulgari Black, though I'd like to try Dries.

Two other scents that had the same effect on me are the two discontinued and revered Helmut Lang scents. To me they were both headache in a bottle. Another one is Costume National Scent.

12. kulata

kulata Well-Known Member

SOTD Tom Ford Tobacco Oud

13. L'Incandescent

Pre-shower: TF Urban Musk
    SOTD: TF Moss Breches

14. Petepan

Petepan Well-Known Member

Where was the sale? Any more 1740 left?

15. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Today: Tam Dao for a November day in the mid 70's.

16. Master-Classter

thoughts...?

(I just resmelled it this evening and found it every bit as magical as when I wore it last)

Ah, Urban Musk! Just sold my tester bottle on eBay yesterday. I've got Lutens Kublai Kahn and am considering Kirkdjan's Absolute Soir... what'd you think of the Urban Musk? too dirty, too floral, etc

17. L'Incandescent

^^ I enjoy it quite a bit. It's unlike anything else I've ever smelled. It's quite dirty, especially at the top, but it's also got a heavy, honeyed sweetness that becomes more prominent as it dries down.

SOTE is Balenciaga pour Homme.

18. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

It’s these guys. Their Sydney outlet is in Rosebery. The local perfumistas are onto them now, so you need to get down there. The 1740 has been hot, so I doubt there’s much left.

Today I had an event on, where we met Carlos Huber from Arquiste. He was showcasing Etrog Acqua and The Architects' Club, so those two are my SOTD. Etrog Acqua has this huge lemony kick that sticks around for a long time. Architects is more complex than that, but doesn’t have the same projection or longevity. It has dried down to a light vanilla and suede.

I also liked Etrog, Anima Dulcis and Alelksandr, so I ended up buying a sample pack to give each of them more of a try. Carlos signed it for me, which was nice of him.

19. Master-Classter

Hey can I just sing the praises of the Bottega scent for a minute. I know it's a 'women's release but honest I've been really really impressed with this one. Firstly, the packaging, especially for the ancillary line is perfect. It's smooth, curved, clear glass with frosted accents and brushed brown/grey metal tops. Everything clicks snugly and the atomizer works well. Just good solid well made and designed packaging. And the scent, well it's a slightly fruity suede leather. A great 'scent', slightly perfumy, and skews a little young IMO, so it's certainly not your butch Knize 10 type of guy, more like say a Daim Blond, but if you're at all a fan of leather or suede or warm fruity scents (that aren't obnoxious and synthetic), I really recommend giving this one a try. And I'm talking about the pink one, the women's one, not the black men's one. Though if anyone's tried the mens one and has a thought, I'm all ears.

20. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Today: 34 Boulevard St. Germain.