1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

My SOTE is Attar de Roses did not have to warsh it off.

2. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

Eh SOTD Live Jazz again. Finally finished a decant of only 10ml. It's nice, cheap and all that but whereas a few years ago I would have just spent the $20-30 and bought a bottle, I'm now seeing how long it took to finish even 10ml and I don't love it. Life's to short for ad perfume. Wear the good stuff and often!

1 person likes this.
  3. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Today: Chanel No 19 parfum.

4. PCK1

PCK1 Well-Known Member

Lime Basil Mandarin by Jo Malone today. Top notes a lot of lime...dries down into a nice basil frag. Reminds me a bit of a spa.

5. L'Incandescent

Pre-shower: Must de Cartier parfum (vintage)
    SOTD: TF London. Has anyone else tried this one?

6. L'Incandescent

For my SOTE I am wearing the TF PB that has basically fallen off the face of the earth. I am talking about Velvet Gardenia. This is probably the most challenging of the original PBs, as it features some of the less immediately pleasant facets of gardenia. I've come to like this more and more over the years.

7. kulata

kulata Well-Known Member

SOTD 1740 Marquis de Sade Histoires de Parfums

1 person likes this.
  8. L'Incandescent

Pre-shower: White Suede. This feels like a pretty ordinary musk to me. I wouldn't spend TF prices on a full bottle.
    SOTD: Nombril Immense. One of my favorite patchoulis.

9. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Well-Known Member

Pre-shower? Why don't you just take a shower in the morning and then put on your SOTD? Maybe use a day scent and one for the evening.

:satisfied:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  10. L'Incandescent

SOTE is Douce Amere by Lutens. The name is exactly right. It's a spicy, supersweet vanilla, which is balanced out by something bitter that I can't identify.

11. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

I used to have a bottle of that - I got a lot of anise from it.

1 person likes this.
  12. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Well-Known Member

Did you take a shower then?

13. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

Le Labo Santal 33. Pretty long lasting. A bit one note (not 33 as advertised), unfortunately.

14. smashwindow

smashwindow Well-Known Member

Been interested in trying le labos vetiver. SOTD mad et Len black afghan

15. L'Incandescent

Pre-shower: Rose Cut. It's a pleasant rose that opens up with bright aldehydes and a boozy note. It dries down somewhat heavy and sweet with benzoin.
    SOTD: Une Rose Chyprée.

16. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial

Had a chance to sniff a handful of TF fragrances yesterday. Patchouli absolu, Fleur de Chine, plum Japonais, Cafe rose, and a couple others. Granted I was kind of in a hurry (awkward counter, impatient SO), but I can't say I loved any. I dug plum japonais, and maybe fleur de chine, but not so much that I felt like I needed to find a decant. Cafe rose, which I had wanted to try, smelled really...flat. Again, I was in a rush, so who knows. But I'm starting to think that all the TF scents are too...buxom for me. They all seem to come across as really over the top sexy, which isn't a bad thing, but I find it maybe kind of tiring. I really like my bottle of violet blond, though.

Anyway, SOTD is Rose de Nuit again, which I still can't get a handle on. I don't think I like it - I get something very soapy, or if not soapy then something I don't have an adjective for - and nothing "dark," as all the reviews suggest. Just a little matronly, or maybe like a bowl of petals in a bathroom. Perhaps it's the leathery note that keeps me coming back?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  17. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Preshower :)bounce2:): Bruno Fazzolari Monserrat - a very sharp citrus floral with a distinctive apricot midnote. I don't really like it because it's too "screechy" and something more for a young woman. I do, however, strongly recommend Au Della, which is more of a classic masculine chypre, but Bruno is coming out this month with Au Della Narcisse, which sounds freaking awesome.

18. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Well-Known Member

L'inc, ignore the detractors! Go for pre-shower, post-shower, and mid-shower. When I was on sabbatical/research year and rarely even had to leave the house I still wore fragrances all throughout the day. I spritz before bed. I spritz before I mow the lawn. I spritz when I'm opening a beer. I even sometimes spritz a book I'm reading.

SOTD: Finishing up that bottle of D'orsay I found earlier this week. Nice but with the explosion of great scents in the past 5 years, hardly worth the effort over and above some others.

Somebody above mentioned LIVE JAZZ; I wonder if anybody else still wears Body Kouros. That was one back in the day on BaseNotes we called a "Sillage Monster." Weird, interesting, loud (but in a good way).

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    4 people like this.
  19. L'Incandescent

There was a time when everyone was raving about Body Kouros. Oddly, I never smelled what everyone else was smelling. To me, the eucalyptus dominated all the other notes, so that I smelled like Hall's.

20. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Well-Known Member

That's interesting. Art of Shaving Sandalwood gave me a eucalyptus explosion. Body Kouros I got a weird, spicy skin scent that slapped everybody else in the room. :lol: It was one of the few scents in my collection I could clearly over-apply (yes, you can cause problems in a traincar with overapplication of Jicky... but really it's just that people want to sit very close to you). CN Scent Intense was another. When they made the red-bottle parfum version I honestly thought it was Capasa giving a big middle-finger to the noses of the world. ;)

edit... and the old Samsara parfum. Oh yeah. That was some sweet, powerful stink.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014