• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Prof Fab / Rach - I just actually bought a bottle of Kouros and noticed the bottle's different, no more silver ring around the bottom. Did a few hours of Googling to see if it was reformulated and most people said there's a slight change but not a big difference.... have you noticed anything? smelled the old and new? I read it's still such a powerhouse that there's not much missing, though it is different.
Also, my mom's always loved that RG (femme version) and I heard that it was more or less butchered a few times through reformulation across the 90's. True? I want to buy her a bottle and don't know if it's worth hunting down a 'vintage' one or just go buy the current formula. Thoughts?

I haven't tried any new Kouros, so I'm not sure! As for RG, it was completely changed in 2003 under Gucci Group... not just reformulated. The bottle is the same, but the juice is really quite different. Whether it is worth it just depends on how much it costs to find it... the current one is still fun, so if it were $20 but vintage was $150, i'd just go with new. If new is $40 and the vintage $50, then get the vintage.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One of my first memories EVER is looking at a canister of Rive Gauche in my mother's bathroom counter as a toddler.

As for Kouros, that ****'s almost like, and should be treated as, a parfum/extrait.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today: L'Artisan Coeur de Vetiver Sacre - this is really a fresh (as in unique and much needed) perspective on vetiver, especially because they pulled off using vetiver as a component in a fragrance that has many other equally-present parts. It has a little sweetness but is also dry at the same time, if that makes any sense.

hipster

Reaction score
re kouros: first time i wore it around my friends, on a hot and humid evening, one of them said "dude why did you put mosquito spray on, you know we're going out not camping"
havent touched the bottle since :embar:

donjuan17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an aversion for violets, so I don't like the original He Wood, but conceptually it's interesting. A woody floral aquatic, actually i think it's well done just not my personal style of something I'd want to wear. I tried and have a small decant of Potion too actually, smells to me like woodshop class, sort of warm dry spicey sawdust. I admit I haven't given it a full wearing but on a sniff it seems worth trying and I think can be found for pretty cheap around or online.

yes, i love rocky mountain wood. have ocean wet wood sample coming next week.

I get what you mean. I was just testing out the He Wood as it was a gift. I have Rocky Mountain Wood which I bought myself and like much more than the previous.
I bought RMW when I was going through a "Lumberjack" phase..

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Ah yes, the lumberjack phase. we've all been there! I remember this one time back in '89 when....

:D

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Trying Santal Majuscule for the first time today. This is as good as advertised; thanks for the recommendation, b1os.

Unfortunately, my very first wearing of this coincides with the day I've been dreading for a while now: I had to have my beloved cat euthanized today. I hope I don't attach that bad memory to the fragrance, because the fragrance really is wonderful.

Also, to all the newer participants in this thread: definitely consider getting involved in the next edition of Master-Classter's swap box. It's a great thing that M-C does.

Last edited:

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SOTD MFK Lumiere Noir.

MC, this is what the Guerlain bottle and box look like. I can't remember the exact colour of the juice.

8560874090_791c937d85_n.jpg

[

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As for Kouros, that ****'s almost like, and should be treated as, a parfum/extrait.

Very true. It really has a parfum feel to it.

Trying Santal Majuscule for the first time today. This is as good as advertised; thanks for the recommendation, b1os.

Unfortunately, my very first wearing of this coincides with the day I've been dreading for a while now: I had to have my beloved cat euthanized today. I hope I don't attach that bad memory to the fragrance, because the fragrance really is wonderful.

Glad you're enjoying it. It's been some time since I've last worn it and I'm eager to revisit it.

So sorry to hear about your cat. Didn't follow the "pissing you off" thread the past few weeks, so the last update I perceived was that she's better. Sorry that it didn't work out. I'm sure you made the right decision in euthanizing her.

Edit: You should still go see Larry Carlton tomorrow. It will help you think of something else.
----------
SOTD: Rive Gauche pour Homme. I'm enjoying it quite a lot, very good longevity.

Last edited:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This evening: Vol de Nuit - **** me, what a beautiful perfume. For some reason I'm getting a lot of jasmine with the first 30 minutes of my application, which has not raised its head before.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pre-shower: Santal Majuscule. Really liking this very much.
SOTD: Attar de Roses. One of my favorites from the Keiko Mecheri lineup. Also one of my favorite roses.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I DO NOT like the MFK Oud - it's very similar, to me, to Van Cleef and Arpels Precious Oud as well as TF's Black Orchid.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads