1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

I would give surrendertochance.com a slight edge over perfumed court just because IME they tend to ship a bit faster. But both are perfectly reputable sources.

2. whipstitch

whipstitch Well-Known Member

Thanks L'Incandescent, I'll check them out too

3. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Well-Known Member

Leather talk without Knize Ten or Derby?

These days it costs a mint, but Cuiron is a fun leather as well. I remember the days (not so long ago... like 2007) when you could get it for $19.99 for 100mls.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  4. L'Incandescent

Hey gang I am wearing Rose Nacrée du Desert by Guerlain. It is another excellent rose/oud accord, but much earthier and less woody than Oud Silk Mood (i.e., what I wore yesterday as SOTD).

5. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

Been wearing L'Air du Désert Marocain the past few days.

6. PCK1

PCK1 Well-Known Member

Yatagan tonight....haven't worn it in a while since its been so hot...but finally cooled off some.

Love this one...so does the gf.

7. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Some good ones. I think, for the sake of study, that you try them all and make your mental and emotional associations. Cuir Beluga is a suede scent and will not similar to the vegetable tanned leathers. It is heavy with vanilla, but that should lead you on some research on the relationship between vanilla, and its synthetic vanillan derived from the tannins in woods, along with the complex molecules that occur with the classic reduction of birch sap into birch tar - the oldest (I think) component of leather fragrances. Another tangent you might enjoy is the use of guaiac in fragrances that can have a vanilla-like scent because of the molecules that exist in this compound that are shared by the complex reactions birch tar undergo while being cooked in a pan over a fire. Also, throwing this out there, you might want to smell some raw oak wood and then notice that smell's presence in the soles that have been oak-tanned. Lastly, no investigation into leather, even though you have a good start that will take up a lot of your time, is complete without trying Kolnisch Juchten - the most ancient and still produced of all leather fragrances.

8. L'Incandescent

Leather Oud is my SOTE of the evening.

9. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

Bigarade Concentree today. Should be called Littlerade Weakeree; it has bugger-all longevity and projection.

I’ve been sniffing around FM counters lately and have come to the conclusion that if I bought one of theirs, it would probably be Geranium Pour Monsieur. Love that mint note.

I got chatting with an SA today, and she said I should come work for them, as I knew so much about fragrance. :)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  10. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

Don't want to brag or anything but I'm wearing Timbuktu today even though I'm not in Timbuktu.

2 people like this.
  11. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

wore Dior Oud Ispahan from my new bottle purchase yesterday and it was thoroughly wonderful. I'm looking to sell a 30ml decant so if anyone's interested, shoot me a PM.

12. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Ditto.

13. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Well-Known Member

My scent of the day is sweat. (see the 'how many miles did you run today thread...)

14. L'Incandescent

Today I am wearing London by Tom Ford even though I am not in London!

2 people like this.
  15. PCK1

PCK1 Well-Known Member

Wore Aventus today when it was burning hot out...got in an elevator with four black ladies and they practically mobbed me wanting to know what it was that i was wearing that smelled so good...

haha...by far the funniest experience I have had related to a frag I was wearing

16. California Dreamer

Opus III today; the sunny weather perfect for a yellow floral.

Trialling a perfume called “In,”, from Miller et Bertaux. It has an unusual note in it; kumbaru, a Chilean fruit (I gather). A bit more woody than I am looking for; still leaning toward Geranium Pour Monsieur for spring.

17. California Dreamer

Iris Ukiyoé today. Tried this on card on Friday and asked for a sample. TBH I think it was better on the card; seems a bit weak on skin.

Has anybody heard of a line called Roads? These are starting to appear here lately, and I know nothing about them.

18. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial

Any recommendations for something that smells like the inside of a tea shop during winter? Cozy bergamot, maybe? Something nice and romantic?

19. PCK1

PCK1 Well-Known Member

Roja Dove Bergamot Extrait...

1 person likes this.
  20. L'Incandescent

@ Synthese: Tea for Two--L'Artisan Parfumeur is definitely worth a try.

I'm wearing Santal Blush by Tom Ford today. It's a creamy, spicy sandalwood with a touch of oud. Excellent longevity.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
    1 person likes this.