• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"sartorial integrity"

bslo

Reaction score
Just thought that I'd post this (stupid) column that ponders whether the Lakers new coach, Rudy Tomjanovich, will decide to dress well for his new job. I know sports writers are to fashion as Jessica Simpson is to intelligence, but the writer seems to possess an irritating, and unfortunately common, philosophy that dressing well is somehow "phony" and not "genuine." This attitude seems to be closely related to the stereotype that "blue collar" individuals are "real people," while "white collar" individuals are soulless shells who only care about themselves. Anyway, I don't mean to go off on a rant, it's the idea that men shouldn't dress well that bothers me. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba....1838418

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, class-baiting is all to common, even among non-sports writers. I think it's a holdover from the days of Marxism being the vogue in intellectual circles. Some people just haven't got the memo yet.

So, a man of modest means who dresses well is considered to be a sellout or a Yuppie...and a rich man who dresses well is guilty of 'conspicuous consumption' (phrase coined by economist Thorsten Veblen, if I'm not mistaken).

But hey, bitterness and envy sell. (well, those and sex.) It's not about Sartorial Excellence; it's about Keeping It Real.

/andrew

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I were in a LA sportswriter, I'd be more interested in blaming the upset on Karl Malone's injury or something else relevant. The Lakers were outplayed by a "blue collar" Piston team coached by an impeccably dressed coach, Larry
Brown. They would have lost if Phil Jackson wore Vass shoes, or Picway shoes, or something in-between.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads