1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

"sartorial integrity"

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bslo, Jul 12, 2004.

1. bslo

bslo Well-Known Member

Just thought that I'd post this (stupid) column that ponders whether the Lakers new coach, Rudy Tomjanovich, will decide to dress well for his new job. I know sports writers are to fashion as Jessica Simpson is to intelligence, but the writer seems to possess an irritating, and unfortunately common, philosophy that dressing well is somehow "phony" and not "genuine." This attitude seems to be closely related to the stereotype that "blue collar" individuals are "real people," while "white collar" individuals are soulless shells who only care about themselves. Anyway, I don't mean to go off on a rant, it's the idea that men shouldn't dress well that bothers me. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba....1838418

2. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Consider the source. Ratto's not likely to be found on this forum.

3. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, class-baiting is all to common, even among non-sports writers. I think it's a holdover from the days of Marxism being the vogue in intellectual circles. Some people just haven't got the memo yet.

So, a man of modest means who dresses well is considered to be a sellout or a Yuppie...and a rich man who dresses well is guilty of 'conspicuous consumption' (phrase coined by economist Thorsten Veblen, if I'm not mistaken).

But hey, bitterness and envy sell. (well, those and sex.) It's not about Sartorial Excellence; it's about Keeping It Real.

/andrew

4. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Well-Known Member

If I were in a LA sportswriter, I'd be more interested in blaming the upset on Karl Malone's injury or something else relevant. The Lakers were outplayed by a "blue collar" Piston team coached by an impeccably dressed coach, Larry
    Brown. They would have lost if Phil Jackson wore Vass shoes, or Picway shoes, or something in-between.