1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Saphir Shoe Care Products

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Roger, Mar 10, 2006.

1. fredfred

fredfred Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  2. fredfred

fredfred Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip. They just got $100 from me and I'll get a free piece of cloth. They have Truefitt and Hill shave stuff, too. Excellent find. Thank you. EDIT/WARNING UPDATE: So I ordered from these guys. 2 of my 5 items did NOT SHOW UP. They were labeled as "back-ordered".. or to be shipped... or whatever you want to call it. Over a week after ordering, they are still not shipped. Lame, in my opinion.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  3. oshinex

oshinex Well-Known Member

Thanks for the source Namor. Any idea what they charge for international shipping?

4. Winston S.

Winston S. Well-Known Member

It $60 now for the free chamois!!

5. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

Gotta love local access to Saphir products.

6. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

are they worth the money. there's something comical in all the newbie excitement over it.

7. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

Fritzl,

I've polishing my dress shoes for 30years. With America's standard old KIWI and it always worked just fine for me.

However, the Saphir products are really satisfying to use and work as promised, especially Renovateur. It seems to be the perfect blend of conditioner, solvent and a little wax. As with one application over previously polished shoes it buffs out magnificently. I know of no other product that works in one step so effortlessly. (Meaning with any other I use I must condition, buff, polish, buff and probably polish, buff again.)

The wax polish is very soft and easy to use. The dye saturation seems to be higher as well.

But all in all it's purely a luxury item in that you can acheive similar results with the 'average' product. Although perhaps with a bit more effort.

That being said a $20 jar of reno seems a small luxury if you enjoy using it.

8. Nick V.

Nick V. Well-Known Member

Include that The MDO line spreads very generosly. A little bit goes a long way. Factor that into the cost. It actually turns into a good value.

9. sportin_life

sportin_life Well-Known Member

From my experience so far, the wax from Saphir seems to be more oily/soft than the stuff from stores (i.e. Kiwi) and spreads evenly. The finish seems better too and is worth the price difference especially if you are polishing higher end shoes.

10. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

Renovator is the best Saphir product; one simple application, let dry, buff, and the shine and luster comes out immediately without any cream/wax polishes. All that I use when I am lazy.

Cream polish - much better than Meltonian creams that I have. Spreads better, brings out more luster, lasts longer too. But its color range is rather limited vs. Meltonian.

Wax polish - not really that much better than Kiwi IMO. 4x more expensive than Kiwi, but comparing to the cost of shoes and resoling, that $12 difference is rather miniscule.

11. renn

renn Active Member

Is there a product for leather sole conditioning?

12. Liquidus

Liquidus Well-Known Member

Is that really necessary?

13. yywwyy

yywwyy Well-Known Member

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm a real shoe care noob and wanted to confirm my understanding. I currently have no shoe care products at all, and I'm looking to use Saphir.
    Here's what I think I should buy:
    1. Saphir Renovateur
    2. Wax polish
    3. Brush

Questions:
    -Do I need to get anything else?
    -Does the renovateur work in place of a conditioner?
    -Should I purchase was polish simply based on wax color matching the color of my shoes?

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  14. Northampton Novice

Northampton Novice Well-Known Member

This:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/228153/the-official-shoe-care-thread-tutorials-photos-etc

15. NotoriousMarquis

NotoriousMarquis Well-Known Member

Tsk Tsk, all you guys chatting on about saphir and tutorials, never even reading my article in Condé Nast Traveler about saphir and glacage.

16. gyasih

gyasih Well-Known Member

^^did you ever provide an link to online version?

17. NotoriousMarquis

NotoriousMarquis Well-Known Member

No I couldn't...conde nast traveler doesnt haven an online component. But i did post when it was on newstands!

18. sugarglider unrelism

sugarglider unrelism Member

Hello Gents,

Moron that I can be, I polished over some of my Sutors' white threads the other day.

Any suggestions as to how I may recapture some of the whiteness again?

Thanks,

Mike

19. NORE

NORE Well-Known Member

20. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

normally a thread doesn't take colour from polish and you can buff it out.