1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Santoni (Non-hand grade) Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by magogian12345, Jul 24, 2011.

1. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Well-Known Member

2. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Well-Known Member

I bought the Santoni Jadwin double monk recently. I'm not too snobby on my shoes so I can't tell you diddly about construction, but I've worn them 3 times now and love them. I bought a half-size smaller and the fit is great.

3. Achillus

Achillus Well-Known Member

Wonderfull collection.

I have 2 pairs of Santoni shoes.

One suede brown monks.
    And one cognac shoe.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  4. fss

fss Well-Known Member

Any pictures you'd like to share?

5. isshinryu101

isshinryu101 Well-Known Member

GREAT Double Monks!

6. fss

fss Well-Known Member

Those are Magnanni 11005 double monks. I love how they look, the quality is less impressive. Then again, I picked them up in a sale for less than $150 so I can't really complain :)

7. Axel Ferguson

Axel Ferguson Well-Known Member

isshinryu101, those are some really, really nice shoes. Those are some pretty conservative looking Santonis though, don't see them like that often in shoe stores. Usually they are much wilder in colour.

8. isshinryu101

I know EXACTLY what you mean, friend. Santoni has 2 "personalities" it seems. The first is the "fashion forward" styles that tend to be more over-the-top, with sometimes overdone styles & colors. The other is the "bread & butter" stuff. Traditional styles done the "Santoni way". Nordstrom has always stocked both types.

9. bobbers

bobbers Well-Known Member

I have two pairs of non-handgrade Santoni. From the Classic line, with a tan sock liner. I like them; they seem to fit me well. I keep an eye out for them whenever I go to the Rack, though slim pickings lately as the finds are on a last too narrow for me. If they fit you well and are your style go for it, but pass otherwise.

Santoni Jensen, about 2 years old, $100 at Nordstrom Rack
    [​IMG]

Santoni Bristol, about 3 years old, purchased from eBay likely flipped from the Rack
    [​IMG]

10. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

I think this debate really ends with your stylistic preferences. The quality of construction between the two is similar--I would say that the method of construction is more 'reliable' in the AEs, however. It really just comes down to whether you want a more conservative or 'edgy' look.

Personally, I would say just save the money and buy some AS's, C&Js or Carminas, or even Aldens.

11. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Well-Known Member

santoni has some great shoes. I prefer the ones I have to most AS, Aldens and Carminas. Santoni has a wide range.

12. isshinryu101

I think you are WAAAY overestimating AE construction. Their recent offerings are pretty darned lightweight construction-wise. + MANY corrected grain models.

If you line up Santoni Goodyear construction against AE Goodyear, it's not even close.

Even Santoni blake stitched vs AE blake is a win for Santoni by a wide margin.

Of course you have to actually hold and compare the 2 by hand. I may not be an expert in most of the brands discussed here, I'm a Santoni addict & have handled several dozen pairs of AE.

Please note that AE's OLDER models are much more comparable construction wise.

That's quite a wide range. Where's the Carmina & C&J savings? If you look, you can find Santoni Goodyears in the mid $600 range.

13. isshinryu101

I agree 100% Many Santoni models are downright ugly. However, they do make some very nice "traditionally styled" shoes.

14. Axel Ferguson

Axel Ferguson Well-Known Member

That is to me the best part though, they don't really stick with one thing. You're almost guaranteed to find something you like, and well made at that.

15. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Well-Known Member

you've mentioned this several times but seem to have no support for it. Clearly you are a big (and probably biased) fan of santoni.

so how about some evidence to support your position...pics, description of AE's lacking, etc.

16. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

Santoni - goodyear

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(The toe taps were added later.)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  17. Achillus

Achillus Well-Known Member

Lovely.

18. isshinryu101

what proof do you want. obviously you have not done such a comparison yourself. i have owned many models of each and personally compared, you may visit sometime, i suppose.

as for bias, i own no santoni stock. they have earned my respect thru consistently high quality products.

19. magogian12345

magogian12345 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your thoughts everyone!

20. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Well-Known Member

My local Rack had quite a few as well. I put one pair on hold as I liked them, but was not completely sold on the construction and the quality. The styling, however, was impeccable. I wound up buying another pair of Allen Edmonds on the final day of the anniversary sale.

The recraft price of Santoni is supposedly ridiculous from my research.

If you're looking for a sleek shoe that will be a fashion element rather than a classic one, go for it. It depends on your budget and your style.