1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

San Francisco

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by AdamG, Nov 26, 2007.

1. AdamG

AdamG Well-Known Member

I'm heading to SF over the Xmas/New Years and was wondering what are the must do/sees?

Also where are the best shops?

Also art galleries?

2. tiecollector

tiecollector Well-Known Member

I'm heading to SF over the Xmas/New Years and was wondering what are the must do/sees? Also where are the best shops? Also art galleries?
    I don't know as much about SF as I should but check out: 1) Golden Gate Bridge -- view from Marin Headlands especially (#1 thing to do I think) 2) Castro to get a taste of the "real" SF [​IMG] 3) For shopping Union Square is always fun, not sure about boutiques, or what kind you are looking for. 4) Ride the Cable Car that runs on the California line, it is less touristy 5) MoMA, Museum of Modern Art 6) lots of great restaurants though others can comment better than I can. Tenderloin district is supposed to be good but be careful! 7) Ferry Building - have some restaurants and farmer's market on the weekend. 8) Haight Ashbury is always interesting 9) Chinatown (which is kind of run down) - Hing Lung for some authentic cheap Chinese food. 10) Alcatraz 11) Golden Gate Park 12) Our hideous Warf 13) Ghiradelli Square 14) Japantown and walk up Fillmore 15) Serpentine on Lombard, the world's curviest street. 16) http://asiasf.com/ which is a tranny restaurant, never been... If you don't have exact change on MUNI you'll slow everyone down. This is inside SF. There are other things to do in the Bay Area as well if you are interested.

3. Yaz

Yaz Well-Known Member

The O'Farrell Theater is a must [​IMG]

4. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

The O'Farrell Theater is a must [​IMG]
    Indeed, it is one of the few really classic SF establishments, and one still frequented by many locals. There are generally not a lot of good art galleries. The good shops are few and far between. Wilkes and Self Edge are probably the best. Most of Tiecollector's suggestions are good, although I would skip AsiaSF and Ghiradelli. There is a lot of good ethnic food and pretty good standard fare as well. If you know better what you want, we could probably be more helpful.

5. philosophe

philosophe Well-Known Member

If you have the time, a day trip to the Muir Woods is spectacular.

6. cocoloco

cocoloco New Member

7. cocoloco

cocoloco New Member

Pretty much most of the good spots are listed above. For dining however, I would recommend Green's restaraunt in Fort Mason with a great view of the bridge and bay. Keep yourself in shape on your trip by dining at one of the vegetarian restaurants in San Francisco[​IMG]

8. doink

doink Well-Known Member

I'll second that and add that the Japanese Tea Garden was interesting to see.

I'd also add taking the ferry to Sausolito.

I was somewhat disappointed by Chinatown. Seemed small and not too interesting compared to Toronto and Vancouver.

9. Mustapha

Mustapha Well-Known Member

I agree. Spectacular GIANT redwood trees; only 45mins north of SFran. I beleive they are the most northerly redwoods in Cali.

10. NorCal

NorCal Well-Known Member

I agree. Spectacular GIANT redwood trees; only 45mins north of SFran. I beleive they are the most northerly redwoods in Cali.

Not even close. The redwoods continue for over 100 miles north.

11. NorCal

NorCal Well-Known Member

My first question to the TS is where are you from? The midwest or a more cosmo local? Edit ( I'm stupid, your from NZ)
    Have you seen a homosexual before?if the answer is yes, skip the people watching in the Castro. On the other hand I would highly recomend catching a film at the Castro theatre. Its a fucking great old building and has a pretty cool selection of films.
    The Haight is an outdoor mall for well heeled psuedo hipsters and "punks" complete with burnt out beggers. Not really that mind blowing but good for blowing some cash. Ameobia records at the end is great and the noodle joint across the street is good.
    If you like the outdoors go north to Muir woods, or to Bolenas beach. Get a map as its a bitch to find.
    The MoMa is cool, they have a Joseph Cornell exhibition going now. The Cartoon museum has an Edward Gorey show.
    Go to the Upper Playground for one off street style selections, it is in the lower haight.
    Check Jeremys for mensware
    Boulevard is a great place to spend 100$ on dinner, Ton Kiang on 22nd and Geary has the best Dim Sum.
    Best Pussy, O'farrel Theatre
    Lastly go to the park, spend the day, go to the De Young, and if you like Botany check out the Conservatory of Flowers, even if you do't give it a look.
    Any sepecific questions, I'll try to come up with an answer.

12. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

My first question to the TS

That's a big assumption to make just because he's spending the holidays in San Francisco.

To the many good suggestions already made, I'd add the Exploratorium. Fantastic for kids, but also pretty cool for adults if you enjoy that sort of thing at all.

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

If you like photography, there is the Franekel Gallery.

14. Sartorian

Sartorian Well-Known Member

City Lights Bookshop on Broadway near Columbus. I grew up in the Bay Area, and whenever there, I always make a trip to that place. If it's a normal SF day (often around New Year's, it's not), you can buy yourself a nice read, then stroll up to one of the espresso shops in North Beach and watch the Italians and fog swirl about. Besides that, I always enjoy a trip to North Beach Pizza, as well, though the crowds are sometimes a PiTA. I second the suggestion to take the California trolley, but a really nice one is the one that goes through Russian Hill--is it the Hyde line? Anyway, the California St. trolley crosses with it on the west side of Nob Hill. My mom used to live near there, and that is one of the mellowest but nicest scenic public transportation rides anywhere. If you have a car, the drive over Twin Peaks is very pretty, as well. Oh, and yes, the Sausalito ferry is always nice. Just avoid it at rush hour (if not a holiday).

15. underwearer

underwearer Well-Known Member

I lived in SF for 8 years and I only took a trolley once and that was because I was late, dressed nice, and didnt want to bomb up powell and get all sweaty. Ive been ran over by one while skating and I used to buy weed off of a driver. But I generally didnt take them. Its kind of cool I guess. I think its the powell line that drops you off in the projects by cost plus near the wharf, I always thought that was amuzing.

16. itsstillmatt

City Lights Bookshop on Broadway near Columbus. I grew up in the Bay Area, and whenever there, I always make a trip to that place. If it's a normal SF day (often around New Year's, it's not), you can buy yourself a nice read, then stroll up to one of the espresso shops in North Beach and watch the Italians and fog swirl about. Besides that, I always enjoy a trip to North Beach Pizza, as well, though the crowds are sometimes a PiTA. I second the suggestion to take the California trolley, but a really nice one is the one that goes through Russian Hill--is it the Hyde line? Anyway, the California St. trolley crosses with it on the west side of Nob Hill. My mom used to live near there, and that is one of the mellowest but nicest scenic public transportation rides anywhere. If you have a car, the drive over Twin Peaks is very pretty, as well. Oh, and yes, the Sausalito ferry is always nice. Just avoid it at rush hour (if not a holiday).
    All good suggestions. I live half a block from the Hyde cable car, and I take it once in awhile when I am going to Union Square. It is worth doing. NB Pizza is not what it once was, but I still like it. City Lights both delights and bothers me. Have a coffee at Trieste afterwards, and then a drink at Specks or Tosca.

17. southgate house

southgate house Well-Known Member

I live in SF, and these are my suggestions:

Shopping:
    MAC in Hayes Valley (Margiela, Van Noten, Lanvin, Engineered Garments)
    Union Square Dept. Stores (Barney's, Bloomingdales, Saks, etc.)
    Cable Car Clothiers (OLD SCHOOL AMERICAN, located downtown)

Restaurants:
    La Tacqueria (TACOS in the Mission District, which is the Mexican district, the restaurant is on Mission Street near 25th, get the Tacos Super Dorados and thank me later)
    Range (near 20th and Valencia -- get the chicken with bread salad -- for my money, the best restaurant in the City at the moment).
    Delfina and Delfina Pizza in the Mission at 18th and Guerrero
    The "morning bun" or bread pudding from Tartine at 18th and Guerrero (the line goes quickly)
    Breakfast at Boultette's Larder in the Ferry Building (amazing beignet's covered in unfiltered japanese sugar, eggs cooked with truffles, insane soup and coffee)
    Quince (if you have $$$ and a reservation)
    Suppencuche (German food in Hayes Valley, huge glasses of beer and super heavy food in a very festive and loud room)
    R&G Lounge (Large Chinese Restaurant in Chinatown with tons of fish tanks and old school service, get the deep fried salt and pepper crab)

Sights
    Eat your Tartine goodies at Dolores Park (18th and Dolores)
    Avoid the tourists at Muir Woods and take a long hike in Point Reyes (Beautiful rugged NorCal coastline, half hour from the City)
    Get stoned and walk to the top of Buena Vista Park (beautiful views of the entire City and the Golden Gate Bridge)

Chinatown and Fisherman's Wharf and generally lame tourists' traps

Art
    SF MoMa
    Jack Hanley Gallery (395 Valencia Street)
    Castro Theater (see a great movie here)

If you like music, Amoeba Records on Haight Street (next to Golden Gate park) is one of the best record stores in the USA, if not the world. It's located in a former bowling alley and is huge.

18. Sartorian

NB Pizza is not what it once was, but I still like it.

Yeah, I noticed that last time I went in there--what happened? That place used to be die-and-gone-to-heaven, a memory-you'll-never-forget good. I guess that was a good 8 years ago. [​IMG]

City Lights both delights and bothers me.

I always find something really interesting popping out from the front fiction section, and I find I get inspired to try some obscure author whose work might be on prominent display. I've even bought a couple great poetry books there, and I only had a poetry phase back in my angry high school years. Curious--what bothers you about it? The continual attempt to return to 1969 editorializing and revolutionizing? [​IMG]

I have to say, I always fantasize just before opening the door that I'll bump into the woman of my dreams...

19. Sartorian

If you like music, Amoeba Records on Haight Street (next to Golden Gate park) is one of the best record stores in the USA, if not the world. It's located in a former bowling alley and is huge.
    Yes, I forgot about Amoeba. Def. one of my ritual visits. If you like music, save half a day for the place. Why the hell don't they open one here in NYC? BTW, OP, generally, SF is just a scenic town. Get out and walk, ride the public transportation, bring a camera if you like taking pics, wear a scarf and a hat and layers and just breathe in all those beautiful views...

20. itsstillmatt

Yeah, I noticed that last time I went in there--what happened? That place used to be die-and-gone-to-heaven, a memory-you'll-never-forget good. I guess that was a good 8 years ago. [​IMG]
    I don't know exactly. At some point a few years ago they converted into basically a delivery only place and the restaurants went down hill. I used to live at Green and Mongomery and spent many Sunday evenings eating off a long weekend of drinking at NBP. IMO, Boulette's Larder is absolutely vile.