1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Samuelsohn MTM

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GradSchooler, Feb 23, 2012.

1. legalsuit

legalsuit Member

Firefox, quick question about the MTM sale, did you book an appointment or just walk in? I'm thinking of going to the Samuelsohn trunk show coming up at Harry's and was wondering if it will be too busy just to walk in.

Thanks.

2. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

3. Firefox

Firefox Well-Known Member

Yeah, you can just walk in. I have a rep that I typically deal with at the Eaton Centre store, and he usually gives me a heads-up when there are sales, etc. So I usually go in when he's working. But you can just go in anytime, find a sales rep to help you (which at Harry Rosen will be about two seconds flat, for better or worse) and they will be able to help you.

I think the most important thing is to be clear with the rep as to what you are looking for, and make sure you are satisfied before you go ahead with anything. Generally speaking, if the rep understands what you want, they will try to help you get it.

4. legalsuit

legalsuit Member

Thanks othertravel and Firefox, really appreciate the help. I'm going to check out the trunk sale soon and since it's my first MTM I just want to get it right.

5. othertravel

I don't think there's a discount this time around. Pricing starts at $1500 for "A" fabrics.

6. richuwo11

richuwo11 New Member

I will be stopping by today at the Sherway location. The trunk show starts tomorrow, I'll report back with what I find out.

7. othertravel

I was wrong; pricing starts at $1260

8. richuwo11

richuwo11 New Member

Was at the Harry Rosen Sherway location and saw the same. B fabrics including some of the Performance fabrics are starting at ~$1400-1500 and a three-piece is $1780 with the trunk sale discount.

9. Firefox

Firefox Well-Known Member

I picked up my Samuelsohn MTM that I bought during the earlier clearance sale, and discovered that the fabric I selected was a Performance fabric. In retrospect, the deal I received was pretty good, as suits with the "Performance" fabrics (both OTR and MTM) seem to always carry a premium compared to suits with comparable non-Performance fabrics. I got a two-piece suit plus an extra pair of pants, and it came to a little over $1600, including HST.

I wasn't even aware that the fabric was part of the "Performance" line until I received my suit, which had the "Performance" badge affixed to the inside pocket. I wonder if they keep that information off the "clearance" fabric cards to try to get people to shell out more for the non-clearance Performance fabrics. To get the same suit and extra pants in the regular-priced Performance fabrics, I would have probably had to pay at least $400 more.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  10. mispoke

mispoke Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever gotten Samuelsohn at the Bay? Are these same quality as those found at Harry Rosen? Does the Bay also do MTM Samuelsohn?

11. AdamWill

AdamWill Well-Known Member

Yes. Just got a rather nice Performance for half price ($650 for a two-piece) from the Vancouver store this weekend, in fact. In for tailoring now.

The Bay sells Samuelsohn mainline OTR (Harry Rosen doesn't, they have an 'exclusive' line made for them, both lines are equal in quality from what I've heard), and they do indeed do Samuelsohn MTM at their flagship stores (they also do Coppley MTM I believe). I have not done MTM with them, though, so can't tell you what the experience is like.

Dunno what it's like in other cities, but the Bay seems to kind of fly under the radar here in Vancouver, but is actually a pretty awesome store. I'd rather shop there than either HR (Harry Rosen or Holt Renfrew :>) any day of the week. Their premium house brand, Black Brown, has some surprisingly nice stuff; the cheaper bits are typical made-in-India or China mall-brand stuff, but there's a second tier of "Black Brown 1826" branded stuff which is made in Canada (I think by Jack Victor) and decent quality for the price (especially on discount), and a "Black Brown Luxe" line which is also made in Canada and has some pretty nice stuff; I'm not sure, but I think some of it may be made by Samuelsohn or Coppley. (They barely advertise this at all, which is just silly). Their Boxing Day clearance is also usually pretty awesome, I got a couple of pairs of Samuelsohn pants for $60 each last year, and one of the Black Brown made in Canada sport coats for $80.

Only the flagship stores with 'West End Shop' sections are good, though. The small town / mall stores usually only stock the cheaper 'Black Brown' stuff and typical 'mall fashion' crap like Calvin Klein.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  12. mispoke

mispoke Well-Known Member

That's amazing. I'm guessing you found that suit in clearance from last season? Any idea when they usually go on sale? During a certain time in cycle?

13. NickInTO

NickInTO Well-Known Member

I saw some really nice Samuelsohn suits on sale at the Bay at Yonge-Bloor in Toronto a couple of weeks ago for $550 or $600. There was a grey flannel that fit like a glove, just a bit too short. They had a few different sizes, but I'm not sure if there's anything left.

14. AdamWill

AdamWill Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's an FW13. I can't recall precisely when they went on sale, but it was a while back - maybe a month or two. Dunno about other stores, but the Vancouver one usually has quite a lot of stuff on clearance. At first they had the Samuelsohn, Coppley and Hugo Boss (for some reason) stuff on a big set of clearance racks down the centre of one of the 'footpaths', but by now they're all sort of spread around the place haphazardly, the Samuelsohn I picked up was stuffed next to the J Lindebergs for some reason.

15. TexasDan

TexasDan Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if Samuelsohn offers fresco as fabric option,

16. othertravel

Yep. During spring summer usually.