• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Salary vs Suit prices

junior varsity

Reaction score

Well, in theory, investments increase in value.

As this rarely occurs with clothing I'm afraid they would have to be considered consumables - or perhaps 'semi-durable' goods at best.

As much as many of us would prefer it to be otherwise.

i mean, technically suits imho are very delicate consumables... because for $1600 you can get a nice RLBL anthony in standard colors (never on sale) , but for the same price you can get a nice tag heuer carrera automatic or a second hand omega seamaster...
the RLBL suit will tear if you catch it wrong on a table corner, and thats the end of your $1600 but the watch is a lot more difficult to destroy by accident

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't quite get the point of your argument.

If you need a suit, you buy a suit, if you need a watch you buy a watch.

I'm not sure where the comparison should be taken into account given that the two are not remotely similar despite being the same price.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, in theory, investments increase in value.

As this rarely occurs with clothing I'm afraid they would have to be considered consumables - or perhaps 'semi-durable' goods at best.

As much as many of us would prefer it to be otherwise.

Depends on perspective. If the suit will help you land a job or be more successful at it, you could look at it as an investment. However, as others have mentioned, you are generally wearing an expensive suit for your own satisfaction, as others will be hard-pressed to tell the difference between two well-fitting suits of different quality.

mrclam

Reaction score

+1

I work in a field that requires a suit every day. While I agree with those who said most people don't know the difference between a $500 suit and a $1500 suit, I'd choose the latter because I'm wearing it and I know the difference. If someone making 50k wants to feel good in a nice suit, more power to him! It's all personal preference.
I daresay that unless you are in sales, you also need to be careful not to out-dress your role. You can say whatever you want about how "i can use my disposable income in x way," but if I show up in a 911 turbo on a 50k income, I don't think my boss is going to be very motivated to find ways to put more money in my pocket. Nor is he likely to see me as a responsible individual who should have more things under my responsibility. As always, there are exceptions to the rule, but you need to be smart about it. suits are consumables - there is no question at all about that.

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's because you're a kid who lives at home and has no expenses. It's stupid to be spending 1/2 your money on clothes anyway. 5% is more than enough. So if you're making $200k a year then $6k on clothes is OK.
You bring the lulz.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your budget for extra things (such as clothes) is whatever is leftover after you have paid your necessary expenses.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Your budget for extra things (such as clothes) is whatever is leftover after you have paid your necessary expenses.

Well yes and no. There is also savings to consider. Back when I made $50k, I know that I would have much rather saved an additional $1000 rather than buy a needless $1,500 suit over a perfectly acceptable $500 suit.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well yes and no. There is also savings to consider. Back when I made $50k, I know that I would have much rather saved an additional $1000 rather than buy a needless $1,500 suit over a perfectly acceptable $500 suit.

No $500 suit is ever acceptable.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best looking suit has an attractive, fit person wearing it in the first place.

I'd say this factor is more important than whether the suit cost $500 or $2000.
Especially, if you take all of 2 hrs educating yourself via SF archives on how to buy a suit and knowing what fits (proper alterations done).

The 2k suit may be inherently nicer than the 0.5k suit, it's just not inherently worth more. Luxury product no matter how you look at it. Nothing's wrong with this point, as long as you're comfortable with it before purchasing.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No $500 suit is ever acceptable.

bullshit to the max.

Obviously a $500 suit will not have quite the same construction or handiwork as a $1,500 suit (in some cases anyway), but there are plenty of $500 suits that are acceptable. Lets also consider that what is acceptable for a person making $50,000 is not the same as whats acceptable to C-suite executives.

For example, the fully canvassed Benjamin suits offered by ehaberdasher. $495. Nice look, decent fabrics, pretty solid construction...easily acceptable, and definitely nicer than what 70% of the men in the working world wear.

I know you're trying to sell your little tailoring service, but don't act like you can't get an acceptable suit for $500.

andrewjames

Reaction score
I daresay that unless you are in sales, you also need to be careful not to out-dress your role. You can say whatever you want about how "i can use my disposable income in x way," but if I show up in a 911 turbo on a 50k income, I don't think my boss is going to be very motivated to find ways to put more money in my pocket. Nor is he likely to see me as a responsible individual who should have more things under my responsibility. As always, there are exceptions to the rule, but you need to be smart about it.

suits are consumables - there is no question at all about that.

Coming to work in a 911 turbo is considerably more obvious and pretentious than coming in a $2000 suit. Like I said, very few people (other than the person wearing the suit) would be able to tell the difference. I agree that there are exceptions to the rule (yes, I'm in sales), and I'm not encouraging people to make unwise decisions. At the end of the day, people can do whatever they want with their money.

With that being said, what happened to the old adage "dont dress for the job you have, dress for the job you want?"
wink.gif

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does the job you want involve wearing an expensive suit?

Assuming you're American, people don't really know the difference between good and bad suits. The things they notice as "fancy":

- bow ties
- pocket squares
- big shoulder pads
- waist coats
- contrast collars

If you stay away from those and wear conservative colors, no one will think you are being too flashy.

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys, I can get some great deals on American Living sportcoats. Also, while I'm posting, can someone tell me if a Westie or a Scottie is more Trad?

Unless you wear a lot of white woolen clothes get the black scotty! Nothing like long white dog hair on a charcoal wool suit. :embar:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads