1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Saks Fifth Avenue label suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by btraub, Feb 22, 2007.

1. rnoldh

rnoldh Well-Known Member

Weren't a lot of "Italian Designer suits", like Mani and Andrew Fezza made in Mexico by GFT, the huge Italian conglomerate.

My guess is your suit is similar in quality to a recent Mani(by Giorgio Armani) suit.

It's really a comment on service and knowledge that your Saks salesperson tried to tell you the suit was an Ermenegildo Zegna and not a "Cloth by Zegna suit"!

2. lee_44106

lee_44106 Well-Known Member

I'll try to answer your original questions.

YOU obviously know that a canvassed suit is "better" than a fused suit. Is your suit fused or canvassed? Try pinching the front of the suit, about 1 inch up from the hem. Do you feel three distinctive pieces (two for the fabric of the suit, and one for the canvas). If you don't feel three pieces and instead feels two, than you likely have a fused suit.

Is a fused suit really that bad? Well, not if the suit fits you well and make you look good. You wear a suit to look good, not to parade around a piece of "handwork". A 100% hand-made bespoke suit that does not fit you, and therefore make you look bad, is not a bargain even if you get it for a discount.

In the end it's up to you. $400 for a canvassed suit that fits you is a steal. $400 for a fused suit that fits you is OK.

Even $1 for a suit that does not fit you, regardless of its construction, is a poor deal.

3. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

And why the hell is the label cut???

4. btraub

btraub Member

Thank you to everyone for the feedback. I will post a pic with me wearing it tomorrow.

In general - does the what I will call "fake hand stitching" come off as fake and tacky or aesthetically pleasing to all of you? These details on the jacket was what I liked most about its look on the rack itself and are what made me pick it up in the first place.

Since it seems to be possible based on everyone's comments - What brands would I generally find in this price range ($400-$600) that are full canvas? I didnt think anything like that was out there.

I liked the fit in the following - I am a very standard build, 42R, 35 waist, about 5'11'', 185 lbs. Most of the suits I try on are either cut A - too big for me with a rise on the pants up my ribs and room for a gut in the jacket or B - too small with a jacket that has no room to move my arms, cloth right into my armpit and low rise flat front pants that sit below the belly and leave no room for a wallet in the front or back pocket.

As far as the label looking kind of off I have absolutely no clue. As far as the white stitching, price tag and fabric tag - rest assured if I keep the suit they will all be promptly removed.

5. billiebob

billiebob Well-Known Member

I am exactly your dimensions. There are no fully canvassed suits available for 400-600 unless you really put some effort into it.

You can try and find a Corneliani on Sierra Trading Post, but I haven't seen one in a solid color other than black in 42R. The black ones sold for as little as $525 a couple of months ago.
    Canali is fully canvassed and can be had on sale from dept stores like Bloomingdales, maybe for 600 a couple of times a year.
    You could also go to Century 21 and compete with lots of other people of a common size.
    Isaia (Enrico Isaia and Gianluca Isaia) are fully canvassed and occasionally available from STP for 700-800, but typically retail over $2000.

Alternatively, there is fused Polo Ralph Lauren (retail 1200 and up), Ralph Lauren Black Label (very slim), and Gian Luca (retail $1000) on eBay for 350-500 if you're willing to take some risk. These are good suits, and the Polo is easy to try on in a local store before looking on ebay. Sierra trading post sells Gianluca sometimes, and there are a couple of ebay sellers that have them. They are pretty slim on a 42R if you get a 52R euro size.

As far as the visible decorative pick stitching on the lapels, quarters and pockets, it's personal preference. I like it subtle and on the very edge of the fabric.

6. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

And why the hell is the label cut???

Often times outlet merchandise has the label cut so people can't purchase it at a discount, peel the outlet sticker off the retail label, and then try and return it at the main store w/o receipt for an in-store credit.

However, a few sharpie strokes through the original bar code should resolve that problem.

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Saks is now offshoring its private label suits to Mexico? What the hell is the world coming to...
    It's coming to Mexico.

8. oldseed

oldseed Well-Known Member

Weren't a lot of "Italian Designer suits", like Mani and Andrew Fezza made in Mexico by GFT, the huge Italian conglomerate.

that may be so, but all my mani suits are made in italy... (and wonderful!)

seed

9. whnay.

whnay. Well-Known Member

It's coming to Mexico.
    No my friend quite the opposite, its coming here....in droves, illegally and without recourse.

10. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

Since it seems to be possible based on everyone's comments - What brands would I generally find in this price range ($400-$600) that are full canvas?

Keep you eye on the buying and selling forum. You'll see RLPL suits offered for under $600, Ralph Lauren blue label offered for under $400 and other brands (Barbera, Zegna and Dunhill) that are offered under $600.

11. whacked

whacked Well-Known Member

About the Saks 5th Avenue label suits, I'm fairly certain I saw a full rack of them listed somewhere south of $200 when I visited Off 5th last week. The price could go even lower seeing that their annual 20% off clearance event is coming in a few days...

12. skalogre

skalogre Well-Known Member

btraub,

I think you should start frequenting Off Fifth instead. Seriously. To give you an example, there is a Dunhill (made in Italy - Zegna?) gray with light blue stripes suit I have seen here in Tucson that is $400 which, if nothing else, will be better made than the S5A house brand...
    Now if the one you bought fits well, that is half the battle [​IMG]

13. skalogre

skalogre Well-Known Member

Keep you eye on the buying and selling forum. You'll see RLPL suits offered for under $600, Ralph Lauren blue label offered for under $400 and other brands (Barbera, Zegna and Dunhill) that are offered under $600.

I even got from eBay a while ago a grayish green L. Barbera suit for under 400. Looked immaculate, too.
    You just have to be quick on the draw regarding what Ed mentioned, there are lots of 38/40 size here...

14. btraub

btraub Member

After a long debate (and trying on the thing a good 5 times and staring at myself in the mirror) I decided to return it. I cam to the conclusion not that it looked bad or that the off center saks label bothered me[​IMG], but that given the time frame I have I could do a lot better for the money. So thank you everyone for the feedback. I will not be prowling STP with everyone else here!

A final note on the return - I returned it in the Boston store (I got it in NY) and the experience was very good. Without my even asking the salesperson told me "these are cheaply constructed". I told him what had happened when I originally bought it and he vehemently apologized for my experience. Saks is now off my sh*t list.