1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Saks brand suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by KayGee21, Apr 16, 2011.

1. KayGee21

KayGee21 Member

Off Fifth is having a 2 for 1 sale on all men's suits, and I was looking at the Saks house brand since I could get 2 for $700. I've heard they're good and that they use Zegna wool so that it's basically a Zegna suit re-badged as Saks. Is this a good deal? Any feedback on the suits?

I'm also looking at this one on Ebay. Any thoughts on it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

2. bullswin

bullswin Well-Known Member

I recently made this same decision at Off Fifth (2 for $700), but subsequently returned them upon noticing that the jackets' linings were 50% polyester -- perhaps not the end of the world, but sort of a deal breaker for me. Otherwise, the fit was good.

3. lee_44106

lee_44106 Well-Known Member

Off Fifth is having a 2 for 1 sale on all men's suits, and I was looking at the Saks house brand since I could get 2 for $700. I've heard they're good and that they use Zegna wool so that it's basically a Zegna suit re-badged as Saks. Is this a good deal? Any feedback on the suits?

]

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

A suit that USES/MADE OF Zegna wool is NOT, repeat NOT the same as a suit made by E. Zegna.

Not even close.

Shysters try to pull this over unsuspecting noobs like yourself all the time.

4. Kslim

Kslim Well-Known Member

The link you provided is of an actual Zegna suit (which are completely different from the made w/ Zegna cloth Saks house brand). Seller is GREAT btw!!

5. Larson McCord

Larson McCord Well-Known Member

I recently made this same decision at Off Fifth (2 for $700), but subsequently returned them upon noticing that the jackets' linings were 50% polyester -- perhaps not the end of the world, but sort of a deal breaker for me. Otherwise, the fit was good.

what should a lining be made of and what difference does it make?

6. dragon8

dragon8 Well-Known Member

Bemberg lining is the gold standard.

7. cncrd

cncrd Well-Known Member

To clarify, a question for the OP: are these the Made in Mexico suits sith Zegna cloth?

My Off 5th has recently had a bunch of Made in USA Saks brand suits that appear to be of slightly better construction than the Made In Mexico ones they had for so long, and with slimmer cuts and features like peak lapels.

8. HEWSINATOR

HEWSINATOR Well-Known Member

I think these suits are pretty good value. I have got 2 in the $400 each range. I can only get them while travelling so have not had the chance at a 2 for 1. I say this reminding everybody that value to me may be different than you. In town here, a Boss is easilly a thousand bucks and may get marked down to 800 or so.

One is a Zegna cloth. One thing I found odd is the pants on the Zegna cloth one does not have a tab that extends on the waist- like jeans almost. The other I got is a Loro Piana fabric. Also, they don't have pen pockets.

Other

9. Grigory

Grigory Well-Known Member

My Saks brand suit is made by Jack Victor. I bought it from SF member for $200 - good deal I think. You can easily find Jack Victor suits on Sierra in $300 price range .

10. HEWSINATOR

HEWSINATOR Well-Known Member

How do you know who made it?

11. Grigory

The booklet was enclosed to the suit saying something about Trabaldo Togna wool for Jack Victor collection

12. Grigory

And SF member AngelicBoris who sold me the suit said it was Jack Victor [​IMG]

13. KayGee21

KayGee21 Member

Thanks for the replies and the info. The suits are the "made in USA" variety. Do you have any advice on taking advantage of the 2 for 1 Saks suits vs buying used off ebay. Is there anything I need to look for/stay away from when looking at used suits? I really like that one I linked in the original post, and it seems like a good deal.

14. SaveMeJebus

SaveMeJebus Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies and the info. The suits are the "made in USA" variety. Do you have any advice on taking advantage of the 2 for 1 Saks suits vs buying used off ebay. Is there anything I need to look for/stay away from when looking at used suits? I really like that one I linked in the original post, and it seems like a good deal.

I would have snatched that suit up days ago if not for the inseam being so damn short.

15. Drudged

Drudged Well-Known Member

I was just there yesterday looking at those very suits. The cut is a little boxy and they are completely fused. The fabrics, however, were actually quite nice.

16. crider8883

crider8883 Well-Known Member

An SA at Off Fifth also told me that their house brand is made by Jack Victor and is fused. FWIW.

17. cncrd

cncrd Well-Known Member

Yes, definitely fused. I looked at these again yesterday, and my Off 5th still has racks and racks of them. Not a terribly hard fusing though; not as "nice", for lack of a better word, as the PRL Corneliani fusing, but still not as bad as most of the other Boss & similar O5th suits.

I wouldn't pay the $699 full price for one of them, because with a little looking on Ebay or here you can get NWT stuff that's a million times better for that amount, but I think $350 a piece isn't bad at all for an every day suit, especially if you're not completely sure of your size in specific manufacturers and cuts, or if you're in a locale that doesn't offer a lot of variety in suit shopping.

18. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

I'm also looking at this one on Ebay. Any thoughts on it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Absolutely not: A suit made from Zegna branded cloth is NOT a suit made by Zegna.

Don't fall for the salesman's nonsense and indeed lies. Fools like being parted from their money.

19. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

At $395 for a second hand suit, fools have been parted from their money.

20. bullswin

bullswin Well-Known Member

Of the little research I've done on typical jacket linings (e.g., acetate, rayon, etc.), I thought polyester is the only one that doesn't breathe. I sometimes have to wear a suit in 90 or 100 degree weather, so it seems like this should be a consideration. Am I wrong?