1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Saks bought by Hudson's Bay Company, Canada

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by CrimsonSox, Jul 29, 2013.

1. CrimsonSox

CrimsonSox Well-Known Member

2. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Well-Known Member

Hudson's Bay carries a lot of poor quality clothing IME.

Hopefully they'll introduce Ralph Lauren's nicer lines in Canada.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  3. addedfuel

addedfuel Well-Known Member

Department store retail is a very difficult business (I would never buy a dept store stock as part of retirement planning) . All the big department store names have changed hands one time or another merely within the past decade (Barneys, Harrods, regionals such as Robinson, Hudson's) this purchase is no prize. From a business perspective, it's a complimentary purchase giving Hudson's Bay Co a luxury line and discount line Off Saks. Hudson's Bay and Lord & Taylor are mid-price whilst Home Outfitters is the home products.

Saks recognises its mission a a luxury retailer and will likely remain so. I don't envision any overlap or synergy savings for the company.

4. CrimsonSox

CrimsonSox Well-Known Member

5. masernaut

masernaut Well-Known Member

I'm afraid with HBC's track record, they'll run Saks into the ground. I wouldn't be surprised if the name has been devalued to nothing but a regular chain store in a few years.