1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by AriGold, Oct 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Rilea

Rilea Well-Known Member

Good point - that's what I'm conflicted about: selling them now when the brand is popular and successful, or waiting until the market shrinks but then entertaining the possibility of the items becoming rarer and more sought after, thus increasing the price

Still, I suppose there's no harm on putting them on to sell now and seeing the price ^^

2. wurlwyde

wurlwyde Well-Known Member

This. In my experience, after everyone's moved on, you can grab former hype pieces significantly less. There are exceptions of course like some Raf stuff.

3. BestThreshNA

BestThreshNA Well-Known Member

Yea the slp resale market is already cooling off. You can get steals way more often then before. While it's true some archive raf stuff tripled in value tbh you woulda had similar results just investing the cash in the market back then anyways

4. needhelp123

needhelp123 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    6 people like this.
  5. mayastig

mayastig Well-Known Member

Cigar suede Jodhpurs?

6. Jbidwal

Jbidwal Well-Known Member

If it's a hype item I would cash in before the hype dies. People these days spend money on what will get them the most Instagram likes.

2 people like this.
  7. impuntura

impuntura Well-Known Member

Gentlemen I don't frequent this thread but would appreciate some help with this embroidered teddy.ared flag has come up because of the notorious N and T not being joined on the care tag.im including a few pics of the detail of this jacket hopefully to help authenticate it.if it helps the leather smells divine .
    Details
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. needhelp123

needhelp123 Well-Known Member

fake asf

1 person likes this.
  9. impuntura

impuntura Well-Known Member

10. intouch1

intouch1 Member

my SA is not very into the new mens stuff.....we both find it has no character. hopefully sales will drop and they will reposition.
    but the womens line seems to be flying in sales.

it could be that under hedi the mens sales grew a thousandfold but the womens line was not doing as well and a fashion house will be more interested in the ladies sales as I would assume in total sales it would far outweigh mens.

11. Diet CCC

Diet CCC Well-Known Member

You are correct.

The buying power of women is the strongest force in this universe. Wait till you are married.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  12. scanner

scanner Well-Known Member

There are about over a dozen things to list that are wrong with the jacket but the most notable is the logo on tag is not supposed to have a break in the NT

13. Angel of Death

Angel of Death Well-Known Member

14. scanner

Women have buying power, but they aren't buying into high fashion anymore.

Nobody cares about YSL anymore, regardless of how inoffensive Vacarello turns out to be.
    Hedi helped blur the lines between Luxury / High Fashion and Street Fashion enough so that people were mixing their $50 vans with $1000 jeans, thrifted $20 T shirt and $5000 jacket. In a way he made it cool for men to emulate what women were already doing with their Chanel / Zara, Dior / H&M mash ups, etc. Mind you i'm talking about Casual Ready To Wear looks. Suiting / Dresses is another story (although i'd say Hedi also made it acceptable for men to throw on a tuxedo over a shirt with jeans and sneakers all the way back to Dior Homme).

While most everybody has moved on to Gucci & Vetements (I don't think Balenciaga will have the same loyalty) as far as luxury hype goes, luxury and street fashion / high fashion & fast fashion, have basically become nearly indistinguishable. Next season LV will be raking in the dough with their Supreme collaboration and most people will be mixing that in with their nike's or yeezy's. the next season it might be Dior / Nike and whatever hip street brand comes out.

I think the days of the designer are done. All notable designers now are collaborating, which IMO removes them from doing what they are meant to do. Hedi is probably the last of the high fashion designers that will have been able to sell an entire fit / look from head to toe (I don't consider Rick high fashion but he is certainly the only other i can see being the last cockroach of the designer apocalypse to have a fanbase loyal enough to wear him head to toe to the grave).

5 people like this.
  15. scanner

SlimaneAholic

3 people like this.
  16. Diet CCC

I believe you forget the fact that the current luxury / high fashion market is being dominated by Asian buyers, who enjoy buying anything that has status value. For that reason they won't stop anytime soon.

Western cultured women, who are sophisticated, have long moved on to non- high fashion designers that truly embrace individuality and creativity.

1 person likes this.
  17. scanner

That's not necessarily true anymore though. Times are changing and sources are dwindling. The Asian buyers, which I hate to use as an example because it is lazy, have started to get smarter about their purchasing habits. One sector to look at is the alcohol beverage industry where the wealthy Asian high rollers have replaced scotch with bourbon and are getting three times their moneys worth because there is simply not enough of 'the good stuff' to go around and are able to freely consume recklessly. However Scotch prices have started to become reasonable now and bourbon prices are through the roof. Just go into your local Costco and find a bottle of Lagaluvin 16 being sold for $28 while a bottle of Willett will be going for double its normal wholesale price.

Also, I believe China has recently imposed a new law limiting the consumption of luxury goods as well as rare earth goods and precious metals.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  18. Diet CCC

I kindly disagree.

I am Asian myself. This behavior has a strong correlation to our culture and society construction, you would sort of need to be an Asian to get a good grasp. I used it as a case because it is really distinctive and prominent.

You also need to know that there is no such thing that would stop rich people buying things they want, law included. For example, when purchasing foreign luxury cars in China you are required by law to pay up to 150%-200% import tax. But that never stop people from buying any or import them illegally, even if they get caught and have the car seized, guess what, they will just buy another one.

No law can have lay out as to stop people from buying certain luxury goods, all they can do is to reduce/ban the import amount or increase the tax in the attempt to discourage potential buyer. But interestingly that only add more status value to them and make them even more luxurious, which creates more drive for Asian buyers.

1 person likes this.
  19. GG Allin

GG Allin Well-Known Member

@ Diet CCC: The pic that Kieran posted above is exactly what I'm looking for in a lace up shoe. It's kind of difficult for me to tell from the pic you posted if the shoe is the same last as Kieran's, though.

I have been looking at Burberry's shoes, but don't see anything that would work at the moment. It seems like a lot of fashion designers (lanvin, margiela, etc.) favor a more round-shaped toe, which is not what I"m after.

20. Diet CCC

That is nothing like Wyatt or Jodphurs. It is a sharp tapered, pointy toe shape.

The ones that I can think of who do such severe toe beside SLP and Dior would be Kenzo, Roberto Cavalli, D&G, Prada and Costume National. You won't find any in their current line up though, need to look for collection that is probably 5-10+ years old.

If you need them now then Berluti. The one I posted is actually pretty close, Calzoleria Toscana is the brand but you need to be in Europe to get in touch with them I believe.

Your last resort would be ASOS and TOPMAN, as atrocious as it sounds, they actually make lots of shoes in this kind of sharp toe...