1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Saint Crispin vs Vass

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ShaneB, May 2, 2011.

1. tchoy

tchoy Well-Known Member

As far as I know John Lobb prestige are only available on the 7000 and 8000 last. I have to agreed the SC classic last is more elegant last than others they offer imo. SC do have a few quirky style but if you choose the right style they always look very elegant. Just take a look at medtech_expat's collection.

I am not a expert on shoes but I have own the JLP 7000 and 8000 last, the 7000 last just look bulbous compare to the SC classic last. The finish and construction on the SC is on another league. As for hand welting here what our resident shoe expert DWFII have to say.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/45403/some-pics-of-saint-crispins-shoes/90#post_4801863

I don't think SC shoes have a built in arch supports as such. It's just how they shaped the waist it hugs your arch giving you support. It took a few wears to get use to it but now they are the most comfortable shoes that I have.

2. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

Not sure if they replace the insoles with a recraft? Didn't AE CEO said after the upper trimming during the original manufacturing process, there might not be enough upper material to re-last and replace the insole?

SC Classic last looks great, but I disagree that its "bulbous" compare to JLP 7000. JL7000 is slightly narrower than EG82 which is narrower than Vass F.

The downside of SC is its hand pegged (good luck finding cobblers for resole in US), and its quirky designs. A lot of its models are distinctly mittle europa and only a few like 522/542 are region-neutral design.

3. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

Get thee to Leffot to see the 'modern' lasts live and in person. Not at all what I expected. Very angular and modern and suprisingly almost delicate in appearance. Definately not an Austrian shape or feel.

They have a pair of green hatch grain loafers for which I would gladly give YOUR left nut! :happy:

1 person likes this.
  4. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

Just ask for a half re-sole. The waist area never needs resoling anyway because you don't walk on it.

I love St Crispins high walled toe boxes and IMO they're leagues above JL, but really there's no accounting for taste.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  5. NORE

NORE Well-Known Member

This is bad advice.

6. tchoy

tchoy Well-Known Member

Why is that?

7. NORE

NORE Well-Known Member

A few reasons, which I will leave up to you to decide.

8. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

9. Dr No

Dr No Well-Known Member

Oh come on, give us the reasons you think so?
    And the question still remains, if going on a full resole, where would you do that? The only reasonable thing would be to send them to SC. At what cost?

10. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Well-Known Member

Lol

11. tchoy

tchoy Well-Known Member

I suspect a full resole by SC will be high. The waist is wood pegged there is a lot of work involve changing it. I think hendrix suggestion of having the half-sole replace is a good one, the waist hardly ever gets worn out. I had a pair of John Lobb Chapel resole at the factory the cost was £150 plus postage which I thought was reasonable.

12. ezlau

ezlau Well-Known Member

Last I talked to Philip in October 2012, a full resole is ~$200+ I believe. I think this also includes conditioning the leather uppers etc.

13. tchoy

tchoy Well-Known Member

Thanks! That is cheaper then what John Lobb charges.

14. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Well-Known Member

exactlyt. wear those SCs!

15. retozimmermann

retozimmermann Well-Known Member

May be a late reply but possibly still helpful:

The SC Classic and Riva lasts look exactly the same from above. The only difference is a slight upslope and roundish chisel on the riva-last when seen from the side. I have written a little blog post on this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Well-Known Member

very nice.

17. yosef777

yosef777 Member

Having both SC's (on the chisel and riva lasts) and Vass (on u lasts, the only one worth having IMO) there is no comparison, I have to go with SC's. Granted they are double in price but IMO, they are worth it. From the finish (SC's are so much more refined and elegant) to quality of leather/suede (again, SC's are more luxurious and finer) to the overall fit/feel, SC is superior. To use an automobile analogy the SC's are Bentley while the Vass are Jaguar, both are nice but the details make all the difference. In fact I would take my SC' s over my Lobb's Prestige.

18. meister

meister Well-Known Member

I hear you but StCs are way overpriced for the manufacturing cost of the country in which they are made. Rumania is very bottom tier EUR and Hungary is much more advanced economically. Double the price????

19. yosef777

yosef777 Member

I understand what you are saying in regards to where SC's are manufactured and their (I assume) lower manufacturing costs but the quality is what is most important to me. Vass is a very nice shoe but as I stated earlier, I think that SC's are on par with (or nicer than) Lobb's made in Paris, G&G's or Green's made in England, etc.
    IMO, Vass is of lesser quality than all of the those mentioned. and therefore their product should not cost as much regardless of where it is manufactured. The fact that SC's are produced in a less economically developed part of the world and therefore (assuming again) they have a higher profit margin is not of relevance to me.
    IMO, SC's are a great shoe and therefore deserving of their cost but I understand for some people paying a premium price is dependent on if the maker is based in England, France or Italy.

20. meister

meister Well-Known Member

I am not criticising their self evident quality. They are a beautiful shoe in all aspects. I just am stunned that they cost USD1600 a pair when a hand made pair of Vass are like USD700.