1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Saarinen table questions

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by DocHolliday, Jun 12, 2010.

1. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of buying a Saarinen side table and have a couple of questions for anyone who owns one. First, I'm thinking of putting it in an area that takes direct sun, next to large windows -- is this going to cause premature yellowing? If so, is there anything to be done about that?

Second, I'd rather have a matte finish than high gloss. Do I have any option other than vintage or a knockoff? I would consider a vintage Knoll in good condition, but it would need to be in really good condition, and I'm nervous about attempting such a purchase online. Also, I'm thinking I want a wood finish top, so that makes my prey all the more elusive.

I'd even consider getting a base and making my own top/having a top made, as I have an idea that I think could look pretty sweet. So if anyone has any good sources ...

Thanks.

2. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

The wood-topped versions are matte, not glossy, I think. For what it's worth, our coated white marble dining table hasn't yellowed at all, and it's in direct sunlight.

3. tiecollector

tiecollector Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat. I'd price out having a base made or trying to find a vintage base. It doesn't have to look exactly like the Saarinen. Countertop installers are hungry for work and you could get them to cut you a top for cheap. Carrara is the least expensive marble too. I'd definitely get it honed instead of polished. I've never heard of marble yellowing to any extent, I'd be more worried about your wine glasses. Plus, if it gets dinged up you won't have a heart attack.

4. earthdragon

earthdragon Well-Known Member

Our white polished has been sitting in direct sunlight, for about a year - with no issues.

5. thekunk07

thekunk07 Well-Known Member

ours is in a room with floor to ceiling windows and it's fine after 5 years.

6. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Well-Known Member

ours is in an atrium on the 3rd floor and it's been there for fucking 12 years and it's not nearly as yellow as some of our neighbors' teeth. crest it up.

7. dave

dave Well-Known Member

I have a great source for vintage pieces here in Dallas. I'm happy to forward the info to you if you're really interested in going vintage. they're not cheap but they have things NO one else has. lst i was in they had 3 original papa bear chairs complete w ottomans along with my original florence knoll sofa with the walnut base. (i've posted a pic here previously i think)

8. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

Technically speaking, this is now called the "StyleForvm" side or dining table.

- B

9. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

You are all sheep.

[​IMG]

10. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

Direct sunlight will fade or lighten the wood finish, depending on what kind of wood you get. If you leave objects on it, you will get funny shapes on your table top. I have vintage dining and side tables that get varying exposure to the sun, and have not seen any yellowing.

Of course, the correct top for the Saarinen side table is marble. [​IMG]

--Andre

11. Night Owl

Night Owl Well-Known Member

Technically speaking, this is now called the "StyleForvm" side or dining table.

- B

it just rocketed from saturation, right past overhyped, and straight to backlash with this

ours is in an atrium on the 3rd floor and it's been there for fucking 12 years and it's not nearly as yellow as some of our neighbors' teeth. crest it up.

12. kabert

kabert Well-Known Member

Got a white one my parents bought new in the early 1970s. No yellowing at all. Bottom edges chipped in a few places and top is scratched, but it still looks great. The matching chairs are great too, though the fabric will eventually need replacing.

13. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

My wife now wants this table, the round, white one. Any thoughts on sources? I know DWR and Room and Board sell them. The DWR one is licensed and has sealed marble, but it's almost twice the price of the RB one. Not sure if that's worth it.

14. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Well-Known Member

15. dhaller

dhaller Well-Known Member

My parents have one (the one I grew up with) which they bought in the mid-1960s; white, it shows no "yellowing" to speak of. While it's not new looking, it also survived a stint as a "basement rec-room table" in a house with two boys in the late-1970s/early 1980s with no damage. It's an excellent table.

(As a child I used to up-end it to pretend it was a hover-disk, and I'd stand on the underside of the tabletop and "drive" the hover-disk using the base as a "steering wheel". Ah, memories.)

DH

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  16. pscolari

pscolari Well-Known Member

Beware on the Room and Board "version" as it is not authentic Knoll. My wife and I were in the store in Soho last month. While we were shopping for other items, I did take a look at it and noticed the price was cheaper than elsewhere and seemed to be different. Still made in Italy but not by Knoll.

17. xral

xral New Member

My wife and I own the R&B version of the Saarinen tulip table (white/white marble), and we really love it. I only wished that they sold it in a honed finish. I know that you can buy the Knoll version in either buffed or honed finish. The quality and feel is very close to the Knoll version. I highly recommend.

18. Edsal17

Edsal17 Well-Known Member

With the annual Knoll sale happening in 2 weeks I thought I would revive this thread, as I have had my eye on the Saarinen Side Table for quite some time. I'm still trying to decide between the oval and the 20" tall model and coated vs uncoated Carrara. My concern is that I'm kind of a clumsy guy and the table will be in direct sunlight all day long. Is the untreated marble really that prone to staining(i.e. spilled coffee)? Is yellowing due to sunlight exposure really an issue? Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

19. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

I've heard from many sources that the plastic coating on the marble WILL yellow over time, if subjected to direct sunlight. Ours hasn't been, but we don't keep it near a window.

If I could do it over again, I would go uncoated. You need to watch out for stains, but it looks and feels nicer, and you don't have to worry about yellowing.

20. Edsal17

Edsal17 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply. Most everyone has stated the same, that the coating hasn't yellowed yet, but the location of the table will place it in direct sunlight all day long in my house. I'm wondering if this was an issue with older tables and perhaps Knoll has changed the formula of the coating. I'm trying to balance yellowing vs the fear of staining. I think I'm leaning towards uncoated. Coffee stains are my biggest concern since I am not much of red wine drinker.