1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

S.E.H Kelly

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by JohnnyLaw, Dec 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. sehkelly

sehkelly Well-Known Member

Hmm. It might be rather too thick and heavy for that, you know.

An overshirt, more likely -- with a larger collar and a heavier placket and facing, to stand up better to the cloth.

2. Noctone

Noctone Well-Known Member

yeah that seems like more of an overshirt/jacket type of fabric

3. Patrick R

Patrick R Well-Known Member

Make that overshirt and take my money!!!

1 person likes this.
  4. justsayno

justsayno Well-Known Member

Any chance of making a camel color polo coat ?

5. paddymac

paddymac Member

What colour/s, fabric will you be making the pea coat next, I missed out on the blue one.....

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  6. sirswag

sirswag Member

@sehkelly when do you suspect SS17 will be released?

7. sehkelly

Shipments of SS17 to Japan begin at the end of the month. The bulk of it will be in shops, I suspect, by mid-February.

For our website, we work in a slightly different way -- cherrypicking from the above, and adding a few other things that perhaps are a. made with cloth of limited edition, b. new developments not quite ready for the rigour or stresses of bulk production for Japan, or c. garments that fare well on our website but less so in Japan.

We then get to work and release things as and when, spread out over several months.

I hope to visit the shirt-factory tomorrow to find a new batch of shirts made -- in a linen with a faint glen-check -- which then ought to be online within two weeks. Production of new Ventile coats and jackets is also in full-swing: I hope to have the new balmacaan, trench coat, and flight jacket available for purchase in the first week of February.

After that, there will be a steady flow of new things. Trousers, shorts, quasi-tailored jackets, work jackets. Not as abundant as the past few months -- as we never make as much for spring and summer as the colder months -- but probably more than this time last year.

Cotton knitwear, too, is being knitted as we speak. We've developed a new crewneck with a saddle shoulder (a shoulder which has been popping up in the jacket department, too, of late) and, if it goes according to plan, a long-sleeve knitted polo shirt: sort of a casual stand-in for a shirt.

Sorry to go on.

Paul

8. sehkelly

Very much my favourite thing to wear is our trench coat, and we have actually been looking for an excuse for another belted overcoat, so ... there's a chance, I suppose.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Polo coat, I must admit, wasn't something I was familiar with until five minutes ago. Must be an American thing?

9. justsayno

justsayno Well-Known Member

According to articles on the internet, the polo coat has its origins in Britain and then became popular across the pond. Unfortunately it's not a belted coat, but rather a loose fitting garment contrasted with strong lapels that can look elegant buttoned or unbuttoned.

More from the Bruce Boyer article: http://www.ivy-style.com/the-aristocrat-of-outerwear-boyer-on-the-polo-coat.html

10. sirswag

sirswag Member

Thank you very much for the reply, it helps quite a lot actually. One more question for you. How do you characterize your non-seasonal fabrics, season-to-season? Are your high count cotton trousers or oxford shirts different for FW vs SS? I live in Houston, TX which is unbearably hot and humid in the summer so heavy fabrics don't get a lot of wear 10 months out of the year. Would I be best off waiting for the SS17 versions?

11. sehkelly

Typically, though, we use linen and cotton (thinner cotton-drills and plain weaves) and cotton-linen-type materials in SS. And then woollens and cotton (corduroy, moleskin, and cotton-twill) in FW.

In recent years, though, with the seasons over here not marked by such great changes in temperature, we've made efforts to level-out cloth weight and composition. More recently, we've been working with linens that are so heavy they can serve a function all year around, and very thin high-twist worsteds about which the same might be said.

Given what little I know about weather in your part of the world, I should think any linen is a good bet, as well as our lighter cotton-linens -- such as the "desert cotton" with which we make shirts.

We've also begun working with a new version of Ventile -- the fairly famous weatherproof cotton -- which is extremely lightweight. About 120gsm. And that's a very good year-round cloth, being very thin and breathable and near-weightless. We introduced it to our stockists in Japan, where it can be hot and humid in summer, and it has been very popular.

Our high-count cotton is quite light, but is a dense weave, while our oxford shirts (all of which are quite old now; we haven't used oxford cotton for a few years) are relatively thick and rigid.

12. sirswag

sirswag Member

Thank you very much. This helps a lot!

13. sehkelly

We are looking at our options now. It will certainly be very thick, and probably at least one (of two) colours will be navy.

Last time we used the heavy worsted duffle cloth, which we use for our duffle coats (http://www.sehkelly.com/duffle-coats/) and while it worked just about perfectly, it would be good to give the peacoat an identity and a cloth of its own.

Perhaps something a little hairier, this time, with the fleck of a Shetland or an heavy woollen overcoating from one of the MOD-providing mills.

We are making a few changes to the peacoat, too, based on the feedback we had last time out.

14. paddymac

paddymac Member

Thanks, this is very helpful.

I really liked how the new peacoat looked on your website and on the model on instagram, would you be able to elaborate the changes you are going to make? it will be interesting to hear as it seemed perfect to me.

15. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Well-Known Member

I bought the peacoat, and sadly sized it wrong. Letting it go was very tough.

Basically 100% chance I'll be trying again this upcoming fall with the new rendition. The first one was a piece of art.

16. sehkelly

Just shorter, mostly.

Its length ran it too close to the balmacaan and topcoat for my liking -- nothing wrong with that, but vis a vis the balance of the collection as a whole, it makes the "thigh-length coat" department a bit congested -- so it's been taken up a few inches.

It'll still have the patch pockets and the warmer pockets, but they'll be altered to fit into the new, smaller space. The seams in the body will also be moved around a bit as a consequence.

17. woolenthusiast

woolenthusiast Member

18. Patrick R

Patrick R Well-Known Member

The corduroy jacket on Instagram is the one I've been waitin for since you first mentioned it. I can't wait.

19. sehkelly

Alas no.

We made a handful for the workshop, but the demand for the SB2 has never been as great as the SB1 or SB3, and so it never made it online.

[​IMG]

The one you see there is made in a navy merino-wool twill, which has a nice speckled appearance, and we do plan to use the same cloth again later in the year. We use it almost every year, come to think of it — it's become something of a mainstay for us, in navy or grey or brown.

As for the SB2 itself, we've reworked it, to separate it a little more from the SB1 and SB3. In future, it will be slimmer, longer, and with two vents. The pockets and lapel / collar will be very much the same, however. I think we're making some in linen in a few weeks' time.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  20. sehkelly

Great. Thank you.

Ought to be ready in 2-3 weeks, all being well, but drop me a line at paul@sehkelly.com if there's no sign of it and you're wondering where it is.

Here's another photo, too. A good weight of cord, this, and suits the jacket just right.

[​IMG]

Paul

1 person likes this.