1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

S.E.H Kelly

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by JohnnyLaw, Dec 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. sehkelly

sehkelly Well-Known Member

Further to my last post, here are a few photos from our visit to the topcoat tweed-weaving mill, last week.

This is the yarn itself, in fact. You can see how two different yarns are twisted together. I guess that's why the cloth has such depth to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I posted a few more at http://www.sehkelly.com/makers/weaving-studio-mourne-mountains-ireland/, too.

5 people like this.
  2. pleatedjeans

pleatedjeans Well-Known Member

Those photos are fantastic! It's nice to see the full life cycle of a piece of clothing, from yarn to cloth to finished tailored piece.

3. sehkelly

Cheers.

It's the sort of place where it's tricky to take a bad photograph. Everywhere you point your camera, there's something nice to frame.

I would like to photograph more of the "making of" of things, on a more granular level ... but (a) the people concentrating, trying to make our garments, would tell me to shove off, and (b) I should really be doing more proper work. Still, when I have time, it's good to document this side of the business.

Cheers again.

1 person likes this.
  4. sehkelly

The woollen shirts are in fact ready. We released some new worsted SB3 jackets, yesterday, and you can spy the lead-grey version of the shirt making another cameo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are, unusually for us, three other colours (of the shirt): a charcoal grey, a navy, and a dark brown.

All but the navy are natural colours (i.e. undyed, sheep-colour) and ergo have a wonderful mixture of ... um, natural-colour yarns within them. Lots of depth and character.

5. mistersparkle

mistersparkle Well-Known Member

I'm not one to turn down a good deal, but what you get from SEH Kelly is well worth the stated price; especially with the current GBP/USD exchange rate.

If you can go to their shop and try on their jackets, you'll notice that everything fits where it's supposed to be: your hands fall right into the pockets, and the collar, when popped, stays up. And the materials are solid. They're not looking to cut costs by using cheaper fabrics or trick you with synthetics. There are so many big brands that charge $6-800 for a jacket, and why? Expensive retail locations and giant advertising budgets. SEH Kelly does none of that. This is clothing with no gimmicks.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    5 people like this.
  6. msg

msg Well-Known Member

Any chance the charcoal cardigan will be re-stocking?

7. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Well-Known Member

Preach.

I've got several pieces from SEH and I really love them all. I have a 10-ply jumper from last year, worn very regularly, and it's hardly stretched out in any way shape or form, and doesn't have a spot of pilling yet. I have sweaters from Brunello cucinelli, and have handled Tom Ford, loro piana, etc, and for the price, SEH kelly compares extremely well. I ordered a roll neck, a scarf, a blanket, and a pea coat this season. Scarf and rollneck are sublime, and I'm sure the blanket and pea coat will be the same once I get them. For the money, if you like the style, I can't see a better product being produced, I simply can't. And this is coming from a guy from Canada, who gets absolutely murdered with the conversion ( over $1000 for the blanket and coat, nearly $100 to ship them alone).

As long as I can, I'll try and support Paul and the company, and pick up a few pieces here and there as I can. We vote with out money, and putting it towards a small operation that puts this kind of attention to detail and care into every product, is the type of stuff menswear afficiandos dream of, or at least, I do. A good item should be expensive, because I want something that I look forward to wearing, something I can cherish, and something that won't let me down after several washes/wears/seasons.

2 people like this.
  8. sehkelly

We are making some new cardigans for spring, which are due to arrive early next year, but nothing before then, sorry.

We tend to make a few cardigans every season — but just a handful, since they're not as popular as, say, the crewnecks.

9. woolenthusiast

woolenthusiast Member

Been gazing at that navy merino tweed and thinking about how nice it looks. Got to thinking about if there are there any plans to make any other garments with it? Wondered if the SB3 or SB2 might look good........?

10. sehkelly

Glad you like it.

It's certainly a cloth that'd lift just about any garment you made with it.

Having said that, it's probably a little too thick to use for a tailored jacket, but a more casual thing -- like the work jacket, for instance -- would surely turn out quite nicely.

(We do have a pair of trousers made with it at the workshop; they're stupendously thick, but just the right side of preposterous.)

We won't be using the same cloth again, but I do hope to continue working the same mill in the months to come ... so, hey, who knows?

11. irbe

irbe Well-Known Member

I'm glad to see this thread getting some traction. I only have two Seh Kelly peice - sb2 and sb3 blazer. Both are nice peice. I'm curious why you guys always go for the "buggy lining"?

12. sehkelly

I have an irrational dislike of thing fully lined. Not sure why.

I know that I do very much like the appearance of a buggy lining, and I do like the appearance of neat binding on the inside of a garment. That must be it.

We have a few different styles of buggy lining now, and it is nice to tie the design of that with the design of the outer.

13. sehkelly

Those woollen shirts -- they've arrived. Half of them, at least. There's a charcoal and navy version in the offing, too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's called a tie-weave, this type of woollen. I don't know why, but what I do know is that it is incredibly lightweight and loosely woven: hold it up to the light and you can see straight through it, and it has a sort of gauze-y construction. It is a soft merino wool, and has evidently been finished in such a way to make it smooth and flat.

It's unlike any woollen we've used previously; it is so loose it can pass for a knitted material.

I must admit I have certain reservations about woollen shirts, vis a vis skin irritation -- but I wore one of these yesterday on a day of mid-to-high intensity at the factory, and not even the faintest prickle. I wore it again today. I think this is the start of a beautiful relationship: as a shirt in winter, and as a very light jacket in spring.

Gushing aside, http://sehkelly.com/shirts/ is where they are.

14. chickenfark

chickenfark Well-Known Member

Paul, those shirts look amazing. Only personal concern I have is with arm length, so I need to check some measurements. But aside from that, are these dry clean only, or machine washable?

15. Biggen

Biggen Well-Known Member

Yeah, I wouldn't have minded slightly longer sleeves. As it stands now I don't think they will work for me unfortunately.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  16. sehkelly

Thank you very much indeed.

* Breaking news: the page was pulling in the wrong size table *

The sleeve-length is quite a standard one. I'm a tall chap with commensurately long arms, and on the size S (for I am also thin) the sleeves extend just beyond the nobble of my wrist. Some customers find them too short, some too long; as the human form has evolved, consistency of arm-length clearly hasn't been much of a deal-breaker.

In fact, we try to be straight down the line / middle of the European-standard road with most of our shapes and fits, really -- aside from a few styles of jacket with are purposefully short. We work with tailors and makers who are too long in the tooth to allow us to deviate from the norm.

They are dry-clean only, yes, or cool hand-wash. (You could perhaps also use the wool cycle on your machine, if you have one. But of course I don't recommend it because every machine is different.)

Here's the lead grey version of the shirt again, worn with one of today's new wool-melton SB1 jackets.

[​IMG]

Paul

17. Biggen

Biggen Well-Known Member

Ok, the new size table works much better for me. Unfortunately the lead version in size L was already sold out now. Hopefully I will be able to snag the charcoal one when it comes online.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  18. chickenfark

chickenfark Well-Known Member

Oh yes! Those arm measurements look much better for me!

19. sehkelly

Yep -- the charcoal is very similar to the lead-grey, just a few shades darker. It is to the lead shirt what this jacket (http://sehkelly.com/sb3-lead-grey-chalk-stripe-wool-suiting/) is to this jacket (http://sehkelly.com/sb3-charcoal-chalk-stripe-wool-suiting/).

I'm photographing it today, and all being well, it'll be online by the end of Monday.

Paul

20. sehkelly

Great. Pleased to hear it.