• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Asian Afro

Reaction score
Are S.E.H. Kelly's knits mostly meant for outdoors? I have the navy-midnight lambswool marl cardigan and find it too warm to use as a layering piece on most days. It's only now with temperature dipping below -20 Celsius that I am able to wear it under a coat, and I still find it a bit warm to wear indoors.

The cardigan's gorgeous, but perhaps it's too heavy for people used to cold.

Tadite

Reaction score
Yea they don't play around. I spent much of the day looking at SNS and howling knits in person. None are in the league when it comes to density or warmth or I think quality. Good and bad thing. Sometimes you want something thin for layering.

:slayer:I've been eyeing the cartigan for a while now the blues rocking.

Last edited:

Blackmaged

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
new chain link cotton jumpers on the site... all the Smalls are already sold out though :angry:

joshg8

Reaction score
Can anyone who owns the tour jacket and seam mac post pics of it?
I was possibly the first to order a Tour Jacket, as I happened to e-mail Paul Friday morning about a light, waterproof jacket. I live near Washington, DC, so I'm hoping the jacket arrives later this week. I'll take some pictures and share my initial thoughts.

shakemyhandplz

Reaction score
Thanks I'm actually interested in buying the tour jacket too. What color did you buy and did you match your suit size?

joshg8

Reaction score
I was really, really torn on the colors, but I went for the lighter green because I thought it'd be better for S/S, which was my intent, but I don't think you can go wrong with either color. I have the 2014 SEH Kelly Peacoat, and I sized the same as I did on that, M, which is my typical size for shirts and jackets across most brands. The M lists a 40 chest, which is pretty dead-on to the measure of my own chest and, yes, my suit size.

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the review, really digging this brand

shakemyhandplz

Reaction score

joshg8

Reaction score
Thanks I saw it when you posted it on reddit. I sized one up from my suit size. Hopefully it works out. Btw how long did shipping take for you?

I ordered Friday 4/4, Paul said he sent it out that weekend, it arrived at my house outside DC through New York on Monday 4/14.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hello Styleforum

A few of the folk who have found us via this thread has been asking recently about our peacoat, which we made last year in a couple of Donegal tweeds, and before that, in the cloth woven for us here in London. The good news is that we will be making the peacoat again this year, after summer -- and although the cloth as yet has not been chosen, it will be something suitably thick and textured.

We've also been working, just this week in fact, on a new woollen mac, which will share much with the peacoat in being designed with thick tweed foremost in mind. It will be a traditional mac, with a large collar, classic welt pockets, and a few surprises -- such as, what is referred to, apparently, lovingly, but perhaps unfortunately, by some in the east London pattern-cutting game as the w*nkers pocket.

The cloth for the new mac will be selected closer to the time (early autumn) but one candidate is the so-called "Dobcloth". This is cloth woven in London, from British rare-breed sheep wool. It is, we believe -- and until proven otherwise -- the first 20 or so metres of cloth ever woven in the capital on a power-loom. We blathered on about the project at http://www.sehkelly.com/dobcoat-pt-1/, and the cloth can be seen below.

It is very thick, full of character, and in a small way, of some historical note.

Phew.

Any questions, I am all ears, both here and on [email protected].

Paul

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear SEH Kelly/Paul,

everything you do look fantastic, style and quality wise. However, even the XL´s are too small for me, and likely for many others aswell. How do you reason for having a 22 pit to pit as your largest for the sport jackets, and a 32 inseam as standard for the trousers? Surely many brits (and Scandinavians...) are larger than that

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Many thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated.

Our trousers may all be let down for an extra 1.5" of length (taking it to 33.5" in total) and that, up until now, seems to satisfy the customers that come our way. I am 6'2" myself and the standard 32" is fine for me (in fact, I roll the leg up). I guess if you are 6'4" or over you would be in trouble -- but I suppose the way we reason not offering anything longer is that we've never been asked to make anything longer, and being a small company, the five waist sizes we make is already rather a lot; to hold stock across, say, ten sizes (32" and 34" leg across five waist sizes) is not something we can do, especially with many production-runs in single digits.

The sizing of our jackets -- your point is an interesting one. We follow the normal 38" = S, 40" = M ... step grade. Some customers find our sizing too large, some too small, but most, in person at the workshop, ask for a size M and the size M fits them well. I don't shop around myself these days, but I am a standard 38" chest, and would always go for a size S, or a 38 (or "48" for some European brands). I wear the same in S.E.H Kelly.

We would love to go up to XXL (or XXXL and XXS) but we simply don't receive many enquiries regarding the matter. I suppose there is something in the idea that, if you offer larger sizes, you will attract larger customers accordingly. But for a small company, making most of our garments in very small quantities, we have to stick our marker somewhere, and where we have it -- with 40" chest as our average -- seems to suit us best.

We do genuinely want to satisfy everyone, every time, but alas, these seem to be the constraints for companies of our size. It is disheartening and frustrating not to be able to offer chaps at the larger end (or the smaller end) of the spectrum a shirt or jacket that will fit them. Hopefully, we grow, and our range of sizes does likewise.

A final point is that the great majority of what we make ends up in Japan, where sizes tend to be smaller than here in the UK.

Paul

Last edited:

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your response, of course very valid reasons :)

Concerning the jacket sizing: it seem that many brands follow the convention of sizing for measured body size, rather than garment size, right? I measure around a 44 chest, meaning that I would likely need a jacket in 46" in your sizing . However, I usually wear 44/54 (or even 42s in some US brands) in sport coats. All a bit confusing, since an XL usually is what I wear, but XL´s usually measure more than 22 pit to pit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads