1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Rye

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by samus, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Flambeur

Flambeur Well-Known Member

Drinking Rittenhouse 100 right now. Not as good as Sazerac (and at almost half the price I get it) but pretty damn good.

But damn, it makes me miss the Sazerac.

2. unpainted huffheinz

unpainted huffheinz Well-Known Member

I'm pleasantly surprised to see mention of Old Overholt. I did not think it was all that common these days (it used to be one of the largest spirit makers in the US).

The Van Winkle rye was pretty good when it came out about a decade ago, but apparently they bought the already aged casks from somewhere else. I don't know if I have had the one they distilled themselves though.

3. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

I'm giving a few bottles of rye as gifts this year to as-yet-unpatriotic drinkers who aren't bourbon fans. Was thinking of my standard rye--Old Overholt--but was also considering Wild Turkey Rye or Sazerac. Prices are $15, $24, and $29 respectively. Thoughts? They don't seem to carry Rittenhouse.

4. NakedYoga

NakedYoga Well-Known Member

I'm giving a few bottles of rye as gifts this year to as-yet-unpatriotic drinkers who aren't bourbon fans. Was thinking of my standard rye--Old Overholt--but was also considering Wild Turkey Rye or Sazerac. Prices are $15, $24, and $29 respectively. Thoughts? They don't seem to carry Rittenhouse.

I think the answer would depend on how these people are most likely to use the rye. If they're going to use them in cocktails (i.e. Manhattans), I'd say go with the Old Overholt or Wild Turkey (although I'm not a WT fan at all). If they're likely to sip it neat, I'd put my faith in the Sazerac.

Also, PM me for my address so I can get on your Christmas gift list.

5. ama

ama Well-Known Member

I think the answer would depend on how these people are most likely to use the rye. If they're going to use them in cocktails (i.e. Manhattans), I'd say go with the Old Overholt or Wild Turkey (although I'm not a WT fan at all). If they're likely to sip it neat, I'd put my faith in the Sazerac.

Also, PM me for my address so I can get on your Christmas gift list.

I agree. If your intention is for these people to drink the rye neat I vote Sazerac (or Russell's Reserve or Templeton of you can find them in your area). For Manhattans Old Overholt is sufficient, but I'd still prefer one made with Sazerac.

6. IUtoSLU

IUtoSLU Well-Known Member

Give them the Sazerac. But, if these are gifts, think about stepping it up to an 18 yr old bottle. Don't give Old Overholt.

7. Aaron01

Aaron01 Well-Known Member

Some lesser loved ryes

-Centennial Rye
    -Alberta Springs (100% rye)
    -Alberta Premium (100% rye)

The Centennial is awesome and is pretty cheap (if/when you're in Canada, never seen it on our side of the 49th).

Has anyone tried A.H. Hirsch or Black Maple Hills' rye?

8. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

Thanks, guys. These aren't their only gifts, but I'll probably grab the Sazerac nevertheless.

9. Verno Inferno

Verno Inferno Well-Known Member

I love Rye and in a Manhattan or on the rocks with a dash of Peychaud's bitters and a twist of lemon. Perfect.

Here's what I like, in terms of price, they are all between 15-25 bucks, except for the Old Potrero 19th C which is like a million dollars but worth every penny.

For everyday, the Pikesville rye whiskey and Old Olverholt do the trick.

Old Potrero Straight Rye Whiskey
    Sazerac 6yr old
    Jim Beam Rye
    Rittenhouse
    Old Olverholt
    Pikesville rye whiskey

Isn't it weird how they manage to make old, used bandaid taste pretty good? I had Old Potrero for the first time last year and it blew me away. I think the bandaid flavor (or nose) is really strange but good. What do the smart whiskey people call that? Antiseptic? There's a term other than used bandaid, I'm sure...

10. nicad2000

nicad2000 Well-Known Member

Thanks, guys. These aren't their only gifts, but I'll probably grab the Sazerac nevertheless.

Good call - Sazerac is definitely my favorite of the choices.

11. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

Give them the Sazerac. But, if these are gifts, think about stepping it up to an 18 yr old bottle. Don't give Old Overholt.
    This. IU is the resident rye expert, and also, I agree. Plus, the Sazerac 6 bottle is gorgeous. Some have rec'd Wild Turkey -- it is very decent, but the Saz edges it ou
    Isn't it weird how they manage to make old, used bandaid taste pretty good? I had Old Potrero for the first time last year and it blew me away. I think the bandaid flavor (or nose) is really strange but good. What do the smart whiskey people call that? Antiseptic? There's a term other than used bandaid, I'm sure...
    It's the malt. It tastes very cereal-y to me. Like dried chocolate. Me likey. But I would not reccomend it as a rye to gift someone. ~ H

12. Korben

Korben Well-Known Member

Saw Hudson mentioned earlier.. very good (hard for me to find)

Sazerac = good standby.

13. fwiffo

fwiffo Well-Known Member

What's wrong with Canadian Club?

14. Pezzaturra

Pezzaturra Well-Known Member

This: http://www.nordicbreads.com/?page_id=38

with butter and parmesan cheese + cup of coffee = heaven on Earth.

It is not made from rye?

15. gnatty8

gnatty8 Well-Known Member

Besides being bland and flavorless?

I like Michter's a lot, but the Thomas Handy Sazerac is very good this year if you can find it.

16. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

Nothing, really. But it is not an American rye -- which is not nationalism speaking, merely that they are not even remotely similar in style. I have CC in my bar. But also a lot of other stuff. Adds to the goodness.

17. marc237

marc237 Well-Known Member

I am also a Sazerac fan. However, I also like the Kentucky A.H. Hirsch (a bit hard to find) and endorse Hudson. It is stunning how many bars do not carry any rye.

18. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

19. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Even though we call it "rye," it's not rye. There's quite a bit of corn in most of our whisky. Canadian whisky is great for many things, it's smooth and easy to drink, but it in no way stacks up to a well crafted, true rye whisky.

LD, I've been looking at a bottle of that rye for months now. I might have to grab it.

20. fwiffo

fwiffo Well-Known Member

Thanks for everyone correcting me. Popular culture has brainwashed me but that's to be assumed considering my first real binge taste of alcohol was smirnoff ice (not counting all the childhood experiences).