1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ryanair to introduce $30 London/NYC service

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by von Rothbart, Apr 13, 2007.

1. JetBlast

JetBlast Well-Known Member

Mussel,
    Do you have a source? I'd like to have a sneek peak of where else they are going [​IMG]
    As of right now Islip does not have any international customs facilities, they are purely domestic flights. The 787 will be in the area of 757/767 size.

The 757 requires 2,365m (approx 7759 ft) of runway to takeoff (maximum) , and 1,400m (approx 4593 ft) to land (maximum). The 767 needs 2,790m (approx 9051 ft) to takeoff (max) and 1,680m (approx 5511 ft) to land (max).
    In turn, Islip's longest runway is 7006 ft long, so the 787 could no doubt land there, but it would most likely not be able to take off again. Unless Islip Airport lengthens their runway, it simply would not be possible. Also keep in mind that the FAA requires overrun areas at the end of the runway in case the aircraft cannot stop in time. The overrun area prevents the airplane from going onto streets, houses, etc. Also please note that Ryanair may end up going with Airbus and ordering the new A350 [​IMG]

Again I would like to see the source of the info about Ryanair flying to Islip, I would think they would fly somewhere a bit closer to NYC but I may be mistaken.

Hope this explains a bit.
    JB

2. mussel

mussel Well-Known Member

Again I would like to see the source of the info about Ryanair flying to Islip, I would think they would fly somewhere a bit closer to NYC but I may be mistaken.

JB

Here you go:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...PpwMM&refer=uk

Other American destinations will include Baltimore (DC) and Providence (Boston). It will serve 5 or 6 American cities from 23 European airports, pretty ambitious.

3. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

I would think they would fly somewhere a bit closer to NYC but I may be mistaken.

There's no room at the other airports, right? I'm sure that if Ryanair flys there, they will run a shuttle bus service. $20 from outside Penn Station to Islip each way. Adds to the cost, but is still reasonable. Some of their european airports are an hour away from the destination.

4. JetBlast

Thanks mussel. I would have certainly expected Baltimore with the hub for Southwest Airlines being there, and maybe even Providence, but Islip comes as a surprise for me. As chorse said it wouldn't surprise me if the airline offered a shuttle bus from the airport to NYC.

JB

5. JetBlast

Edit- wrong thread. Too many threads about low-cost airlines on the SF.

JB

6. mizanation

mizanation Well-Known Member

YES! now, finally a cheap way to get decent curry in NYC.

7. faust

faust Well-Known Member

People forget that there is a difference in level of discomfort one wishes to tolerate on a two hour flight and a seven hour flight.

8. wilnic

wilnic New Member

Peace of mind, safety, comfort, and customer service are all factors that keep me far, far away from Ryanair.

ok so ...... lets see ....... you pay 300 dollers for a flight and you get everything on the flight free, that makes sence... dont it.....

then you pay 1 tenth of the price and what you get it all free ..... well ok so if you got it free you would then see the price of low fairs going up and up to keep up with your own local airport tax!!!

as for peace of mind .... you need to explain

safety, Ryanair is one of the few airlines that have a clean no major accidents (by this i mean they have not killed any of the millions of passengers. its a legal law to follow the rules of safety given to all airlines, so what am i saying every airline in the world follows the same back bone of safety rules... only difference is aircraft type and location of equipment!!

also a note for you is ryanair has the youngest fleet of aircrafts in europe

as for customer service well the depends on the crew but as i said before you pay for what you get (that dose not mean you should not get a 10 out of 10 service but it dose mean if you get on expecting the world and you paid 20 dollers for it well come on is it going to happen)

now about me i work for ryanair in the head office in dublin as flight crew!!
    i know how the company works and all i can say is in my opinion ryanair will change the skys in coming years nothing is effecting them like all them chartered airlines going on strikes and bust due to oil prices...... i think ryanair is giving people the chance to see the world in a rate you cant even begin to complain about,

so please dont be pissed off that you have to pay for a bag your still well under the price of any other airline

yours

nick williamson

nick_jw89@hotmail.co.uk
    any other info i will be happy to talk
    bye for now

9. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Well-Known Member

^And it only took you and your company a year and a half to make this rebuttal!

10. West24

West24 Well-Known Member

theyre in a different time zone stupid!

11. poly800rock

poly800rock Well-Known Member

Not really. They do this all the time. But the free tickets are only on the least desirable flights. Typically they leave Stansted at something like 5 or 6 in the morning. The catch is that it's not possible to come from London via public transportation that early in the morning. You have to either spend the night sleeping in the airport, at a hotel nearby, or live closer than London.

i spent the night in stansted because of a ryan air flight in july. it's honestly like a refugee camp. but yeah, it cost 10 pounds total from stansted to glasgow

12. Concordia

Concordia Well-Known Member

I hope he's not the one writing the flight manuals.

13. maxnharry

maxnharry Well-Known Member

Do they even have NY to GB service?

14. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Well-Known Member

theyre in a different time zone stupid!

Oops, my mistake! I also forgot that they had to send email by Mayflower...

15. GlenCoe

GlenCoe Well-Known Member

I found this thread by accident, does anybody knows how did this ended up? or what is currently the lowest price for London - NY flights?

16. JetBlast

In typical Ryanair fashion it was announced and they made a huge to-do about it but they haven't started it yet.

17. henrikc

henrikc Well-Known Member

Probably another trick to create some headlines, just as the "we want to charge you for using the toilet"-thing they had going, and "would you be interested in standing upright on a domestic flight?".

Stupid company.

18. Britalian

Britalian Well-Known Member

This was said a year or so ago. If it ever happens, the amount you end up paying will be significantly higher than $30. They'll probably charge you $50 to have a piss.
    The company announced profits this week. I think I heard said that it will be the first year that it has paid dividends.
    Avoid for anything but the shortest Euro routes.

19. Britalian

Britalian Well-Known Member

...Anyway, their plan to introduce standing seats has been ruled out by the EU. It would mean a overhaul of the air safety regs. Bad week on the whole. They also had to pay Easyjet for naughty publicity.

20. Infrasonic

Infrasonic Well-Known Member

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.