• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ryan Gosling's shirts

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's ok, I'm not taking it personally. I'd probably flame me if I were him.
I gotta say thanks specially to the person who mentioned the wurkin stiffs, I watched a video on youtube and they look like they'd improve the look of my collars a LOT. I just ordered some, and some spray starch. 

Contact, glad to see that you have thick skin. There really is a lot to learn on this and other forums there is nothing wrong with asking questions. I have been beaten bloody for some of my posts... (don't mention cordovan navy double monks around here)

Last edited:

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's ok, I'm not taking it personally. I'd probably flame me if I were him.
I gotta say thanks specially to the person who mentioned the wurkin stiffs, I watched a video on youtube and they look like they'd improve the look of my collars a LOT. I just ordered some, and some spray starch. 

There should be no need for a magnetic collar stay if your shirt has been properly made. As a general rule, it's better to get something that works right by itself than trying to fix something that doesn't. That applies not only to clothes.

Contact lens

Reaction score
I understand dude, it's all good. Thanks, I have learned a lot about shirts today and I'll certainly be more critical in my future purchases.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who is this bloke?

I just watched the Ides of March, albeit in Italian, and it was so boring all i did was look at the audience...

Wolfador

Reaction score

Aha, but lame first post does not equal trolling. 

a) I watched Crazy Stupid Love because I watched Drive and thought I'd watch another of his movies.

So after you watched that piece of garbage movie Drive, you though you'd watch another of his movies? Seriously?

facet

Reaction score

You do admit though that is was a pretty lame first post.
a.) Why would any man watch Crazy Love, Stupid or any other Ryan Gosling movie?

My girlfriend brought it over. It was actually not bad.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hugo Boss. They're probably Boss Black or Selection.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So after you watched that piece of garbage movie Drive, you though you'd watch another of his movies? Seriously?

You must admit Fracture was a half decent film.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

You do admit though that is was a pretty lame first post.
a.) Why would any man watch Crazy Love, Stupid or any other Ryan Gosling movie?
b.) Why are you obsessed with this guy?
c.) Why would you describe any man as "sexy as hell"?
d.) Nothing special about the shirts or collars so I (assumed that) this whole thing was a joke/troll

Maybe he's gay? Or at least has a mancrush on Gosling, who cares? The guy is having a moment so I bet a lot of dudes want to emulate him.

OP: try a few mid to high end shirt and see which ones have collar that hang well on you. I almost never button the second button and most collars do hang like that, nothing special about it. If you have a super casual floppy shirt with an ultra soft collar it might not work...

Last edited:

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
(secrets posted below)

CL, people here are just fuckin' around with you. Think of it as newbie innitiation or something. Basically whenever someone shows up either asking for something they could have found with a little searching, or they ask for something that none of us here approve of we give em' a little ****. If they can break past all that and stick around then they're part of the 'in' crowd and eventually they can learn a ton of good stuff. Hopefully you'll take this with a laugh, get some partly useful info, keep reading/lurking on the boards and become an active member (ideally a valuable one too).

Welcome to the forum....

you jackass!

lulz

negusnegas

Reaction score
To add, I'd say pick collars that are slightly larger than the minuscule trend that has kind of taken hold. The Italian makers such as Borrelli should make something along those lines. If you do go MTM or custom, I think they will also be able to use a stiffer the interlining on the collar band, which should help too. Carl from CEGO would definitely be your best resource.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Why is everyone giving OP a hard time? Whether or not you like Gosling's style in that movie, the guy had a legitimate question.

here's an answer:
The key to a collar standing up well while the first two buttons are undone is having a stiff collar band (the part that is attached to the shirt, but not the collar itself). The actual collar style is not that critical. Collar stays might help collar stand up, but they also might give it a too straight look. If you look at those pics, the collar stands up high and then sort of rolls down in a curve.

Last edited:

WorkingOnIt

Reaction score

I find that point collars vs. spread/cut-away collars will give you better "upright" look when unbuttoned like the pictures. I'm not a big point collar guy, but that's just what I've found. Also, as mentioned nicer quality shirts will tend to not lay flat and will have better quality collars that stand upright on their own. You can use starch if truly necessary. Lastly, make sure you are using collar stays. I have a couple metal ones that I use depending on the size that fits the shirt, I will never go back to plastic throw-away collar stays.

+1 If your issue is your collar "collapses" consider putting a slight bend into your metal collar stays. Personally, medium spread with metal stays work well.

I've also found my hidden button downs do a good job at keeping the upright look. Buttondowns not so much.

Lastly, don't forget RS has a crew of people resetting his clothing for every scene. It is never quite the same when you go through a real day with clothing.

hrb

Reaction score
crazy, stupid, love was highly entertaining. though the last few posts have essentially answered your question:

1. Larger collar
2. Spend $$$ (Hit a Zara/H&M and give the collars a feel vs some shirts in the <$100, the difference should be readily apparent
3. Italian is a good bet (borrelli, barba, finamore etc may be a good start) though you can likely find a suitable substitute for less money.

Someone made a good - and very valid - point to remember the shirts in those scenes are being fawned over by a stylist between each and every take. Good luck with the search!

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
For movies often enough they tack the collar down to the shirt itself, either using a bit of glue, thus ruining the shirt, or adding snaps underneath. This is not something the shirtmaker does, but something the stupid costume designer does. It makes shirt have a button down quality of standing upright, while still not looking that way, and still being able to control the actual angle of the collar. Without a suit it looks pretty bad. You can probably have a tailor add snaps to the inside of the collar for not too much money. Im not sure how though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads