1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ryan Gosling's shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Contact lens, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Contact lens

Contact lens Member

I'm new, so sorry if there's already been a thread on this. But ever since I've watched Crazy Stupid Love, I've become obsessed with the shirts Gosling wears in that movie.

I know they are Gossuin shirts and I won't be able to find one, even less afford it. But can someone help me out and tell me what type of collar his shirts have?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can't get enough of that 1st button undone look but I can't find a shirt that will do it well. It looks sexy as hell. What's the secret? (besides being Ryan Gosling) What collar is that? Is it a button-down that keeps it upright? I won't sleep until I have a shirt that looks that cool without a tie and top button undone.

2. Patek

Patek Well-Known Member

3. Contact lens

Contact lens Member

4. Harbin

Harbin Well-Known Member

5. Patek

Patek Well-Known Member

6. Contact lens

Contact lens Member

That's... helpful.
    Anyone?

7. acecow

acecow Well-Known Member

He looks genuine...

Most average to expensive shirts will have a better made collar that will stay up while you're wearing the shirt. The cheapest shirts, however, will have their collars lie flat on your chest. Is that what you were asking? Answer: buy better shirts.

8. Contact lens

Contact lens Member

No no I'm serious. Why do you think I'm trolling? I've researched the different types of collar, narrow point, wide spread, button-down etc. What is it about the design of those collars that give them that cool top button undone look?

9. musicguy

musicguy Well-Known Member

Okay, you want a serious answer...

There's aboslutely nothing special about the shirts he is wearing in those photos.

You want an awesome shirt? Get something made to measure from a good maker.

Pretty much all of my shirts (nrealy all are made to measure) lay like his in those pictures. It's really nothing special. He's wearing a jacket so the collar points stay closed.

Don't expect a Macy's special to look good.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  10. Contact lens

Contact lens Member

Yes thank you that's what I meant. I have a nice Hugo Boss shirt and it kind of works but not quite. So stay away from the cheap ones, got it. Thanks.

11. Infrasonic

Infrasonic Well-Known Member

Collar bones and a bit of spray starch on the top part of the placket when ironing will give that look. (1st picture)

12. Patek

Patek Well-Known Member

Question:

Answer:

13. Contact lens

Contact lens Member

Obviously I won't ACTUALLY lose sleep over it but I do think he is amazingly well dressed in that movie and it's normal that I would want to seek advice from a fashion forum on how he achieves this, other than have Yves Saint Laurent etc design his clothes.

14. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

15. cioni2k

cioni2k Well-Known Member

I find that point collars vs. spread/cut-away collars will give you better "upright" look when unbuttoned like the pictures. I'm not a big point collar guy, but that's just what I've found. Also, as mentioned nicer quality shirts will tend to not lay flat and will have better quality collars that stand upright on their own. You can use starch if truly necessary. Lastly, make sure you are using collar stays. I have a couple metal ones that I use depending on the size that fits the shirt, I will never go back to plastic throw-away collar stays.

16. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

:dozingoff:

also, look into wurkin stiffs (sp?)

17. Contact lens

Contact lens Member

Fine, flame me if it pleases you. I got a couple of relevant answers which is all I was after.

18. JChance

JChance Well-Known Member

A lot of Ryan Goslings' shirts are from Patrik Ervell, at least the ones he wears in real life, not the movies' one.

19. Patek

Patek Well-Known Member

You do admit though that is was a pretty lame first post.
    a.) Why would any man watch Crazy Love, Stupid or any other Ryan Gosling movie?
    b.) Why are you obsessed with this guy?
    c.) Why would you describe any man as "sexy as hell"?
    d.) Nothing special about the shirts or collars so I (assumed that) this whole thing was a joke/troll

20. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Well-Known Member

there should be a subforum for "how do i dress like [this movie star]"