• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Running in fall/winter

runner-guy

Reaction score
I'll run in wind pants outside as long it is above 25 degrees or so and not icy. Lower than that and I hit the treadmill.

spencers

Reaction score
if outside, 3/4 tights with normal running shorts over them

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't have too much experience running when it is below freezing, but I have never felt the need to run in anything other than shorts in above freezing weather.... and it is always about 40F and raining in Oregon when I run in winter - has never bothered me. I just wear a capilene undershirt and a t-shirt over it and shorts, and add a rain jacket if necessary.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear sweat-pants...like...old grubby sweat-pants. When it gets really cold, I wear two pairs. I don't get fancy.

NoNothingGuy

Reaction score
I wear shorts until about 40 degrees and then switch to Sporthills or Nike running pants. There really is no reason to wear tights unless you just like the way they feel.

If you think they are too aggressive, just buy a pair of Sporthills. If you get them in the right size, they are not too tight, yet don't get in the way. They come with or without the stirrups.

0117.jpg

or if you prefer Nike, they make all kinds of running pants that are not tights.

p6814467dt.jpg

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
regular runnings shorts, long sleeve shirt. If its really cold then cold-weather running gloves go on and make all the difference.

DULLAH

Reaction score
I never run, but when I play ball in the winter/fall, it's sweats and body heat = not a problem.

boo

Reaction score
Coldest I've run was lower single digits excluding windchill. My clothing at the time:

Top - balaclava, beanie cap, under armour cold gear turtle neck, two lightweight fleece jackets, and double gloves

Bottom - Sugoi mid-zero tights, supporter with a sock stuffed inside, and running pants

Oh, and Yak trax if there's a lot of snow/ice on the ground.

Still, it rarely gets colder than 20s here.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Tights are about freedom of movement and muscle/joint support, not warmth. I agree they're not necessary, but if you run hard and don't stop you'll appreciate the lack of warmth when you're generating your own heat. And it's fun to make people look, you know they do.
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads