1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

RULES for the tall and skinny man

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sebastian_Flyte, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Snedley

Snedley Well-Known Member

You're going to have to wait until your bone structure and weight catches up to your height. I wouldn't invest too much in clothes until you mature a bit.

2. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

There's nothing difficult about layering and it can add visual bulk. In winter, I frequently wear a dress shirt, sweater vest and jacket for 3 layers. When I'm outside, an overcoat gives me a fourth layer, but covers the others. Layer gets harder in other seasons, but cotton vests can work during Spring/Fall without getting too warm. Look in fashion mags and on blogs to see examples you can adapt to your own look.

One or two of my jackets are cut just slightly larger to accommodate layers underneath.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  3. Sebastian_Flyte

Sebastian_Flyte Well-Known Member

The point of many/most clothes is to mask or conceal the things in our bodies that don't look great. Hence jackets and neckties for big bellies, etc.

If you have a long and skinny neck, WEAR SHIRTS WITH COLLARS.

For shorts, wear ones that fall just below the knee if that's an area that doesn't look so hot. NOT fucking capris-- there's some brands that sell shorts like this, or just cut your own pants off there.

T shirt plus an unbuttoned, short-sleeved collared button-down shirt is a solid casual look for "concealing" skinniness-- hides skinny upper arms and chest, and the open shirt gives you more volume in the upper body and arms.

FIT is really the most important thing-- getting clothes that fit properly will mute the effect of overly skinny bodies, and hopefully transform skinny into suavely slender.

4. buzzron

buzzron Well-Known Member

I'm not exactly skinny at 6'2" but I make sure not to wear too loose or too skinny clothes, my suits have always been tapered and 've never really been a fan of the skinny revolution.

5. skinny

skinny Member

I've been reading this forum, and this thread in particular. This is my first SF post though ! I'm not exactly tall @ 5'10", but skinny @ 130lbs. Thin frame, etc. Nothing that hasn't been said or discussed already. I agree with most of your points (as well as others made in this useful thread), except I'm on the fence and not sure about "Rule #2" above r.e. tapered pants. Seems to me that tapered pants emphasize the nature of our skinny legs even more, no? Wouldn't a straight cut be more forgiving? I'm not talking super-tapered/skinny look, but seems a tapered pant just highlights the skinny leg and makes it look longer too. I'm just getting started into the "game" of buying more fitted clothes, and while salespeople like suits on me that have the tapered leg, for me it looks strange. Maybe not used to it? Not sure. I've also read some other articles on the Internet (askmen.com, etc.) that say to stay away from a tapered pant if skinny.

6. skinny

skinny Member

I'm new to SF (1st post!) but have been reading around as I'm slowly getting into buying more fitted/appropriate clothes for my body (5'10" - 132lbs). I'm most curious about rule #2 above, r.e. tapered pants. I've read mixed things on this (see this article that says to go for straight and not tapered anything - http://www.askmen.com/fashion/fashiontip/32_fashion_advice.html), and when I go to try suit pants on, the sales people are all complementary r.e. the tapered look (but can I trust them?) and I'm more self-conscious and it seems they make the legs seem even skinnier and longer. Perhaps this is because I'm not used to wearing clothes that look right, and have been used to the wrong thing. But then what about that article with the link I posted? Interesting thread with many good points!

7. skinny

skinny Member

I'm new to SF (1st post!) but have been reading around as I'm slowly getting into buying more fitted/appropriate clothes for my body (5'10" - 132lbs). I'm most curious about rule #2 above, r.e. tapered pants. I've read mixed things on this (see this article that says to go for straight and not tapered anything - http://www.askmen.com/fashion/fashiontip/32_fashion_advice.html), and when I go to try suit pants on, the sales people are all complementary r.e. the tapered look (but can I trust them?) and I'm more self-conscious and it seems they make the legs seem even skinnier and longer. Perhaps this is because I'm not used to wearing clothes that look right, and have been used to the wrong thing. But then what about that article with the link I posted? Interesting thread with many good points!

8. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Well-Known Member

It seems that the fashion world is pivoting away from the skintight look, which is a welcome sight. Extremely close-cut clothing looks good on basically nobody, and, perhaps least of all, the tall and skinny man.

9. skinny

skinny Member

Are you talking about casual clothes like skinny jeans/stretch shirts or suits/formal clothing? Not sure about the latter (or the former if I think about it), as most suits I'm seeing are pretty slim. Not sure I know of a skinny suit. Examples to look at?

10. Sebastian_Flyte

The trick is to adjust clothes so they fit and hang naturally-- not too tight or too loose.

Clothes are cut for typically proportioned men, so I personally often taper the pants below the knee *a bit*. There is no need to go overboard-- usually you tell your tailor "taper the bottom so that the hem is X inches". Once you find a measurement for you, you can have all your pants tapered to that measurement.

11. skinny

skinny Member

Makes sense, but many suit pants are already tapered, so they can only be tapered even more! The suits I tried on had pants that were not too tight, so they probably looked OK to others, but I think I'm not yet used to a tapered look, so to me it made it looks like my legs looked skinnier and longer. I supposed it's a getting used to thing, coming from wearing more traditional, relaxed pants which "hid" my skinny legs (at least in my mind).

Another thing I think works is having a very short break. Just to hit the top of the shoe. This makes the drape cleaner, without a lot of bunching at the bottom. Especially important I noticed with the more tapered the pant/hem opening. I found that the bunching made the leg drape look worse.

I agree with you re cotton and chinos, but what to do for casual pants? Wool is too dressy, so that is a hard one.

12. Sebastian_Flyte

Jeans. There are such a variety of cuts now that everyone should be able to find a brand that works for their body.

13. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Well-Known Member

Or corduroys. Slightly more dressy than jeans and usually make thin legs look sturdier.

14. campr723

campr723 New Member

I completely understand where you are coming from, I am currently 18 years old and I stand at 6'4", 165 pounds with long legs. Even finding a simple T Shirt that doesn't fit me short and like a parachute is difficult. Finding pants that don't require a belt is near impossible. But very good information!

15. skinny

skinny Member

Speaking of jeans, I'm trying to find some nice wingtips to go with my jeans. I have very narrow feet to go along with my skinny body...a size 10 and very narrow. So the question is, which shoes looks better on skinny guys with narrow/skinny feet? The thinner sole and pointy end or the more "butch" type like Alden with thicker soles and a rounder toe? Does the former complement more or is the latter better as it "bulks" up the foot? Also, any recommendations? What colors, styles, etc.?

16. Sebastian_Flyte

some more T-shirt brands with decent length in the body:

Zara slim fit - L
    Neil Barrett - M
    Y-3 - M (Y-3 lengths are all over the map, but at least some of the t-shirts work well)

17. deadman64

deadman64 New Member

I hear ya man. I'm almost the same dimensions.

Try H&M for button ups and jeans. I have also found that urban outfitters has T shirts (crew and v neck) that are slim fit that are the best of found (at a reasonable price).

18. Lumaca

Lumaca Active Member

Can't say I'm tall, but at 5.10 and 135-ish, I think I qualify as skinny. My problem is that most clothes seem to be either to wide on the shoulders if they are the correct length, or too short if they are the correct width.

I must say that this thread is a great help for me as I am attempting to switch from my Primark and H&M days to clothe myself decently. Will be following closely.

19. KabbaV

KabbaV New Member

Great forum. I'm 6'6 and have had major issues with clothes since I began shopping for them. Luckily as a costume designer I custom make all my own clothes now. I plan to make some wool pants as that idea was pure genius. I also have to disagree with the trench coat comment. I believe the person said "it cinches at the waist giving it a fem appearance on slim guys". I've made one and it looks classic and masculine. You just have to layer it to fill your form out and make sure the side seams are straight instead of curved which emphasize an hourglass shape. Just a thought. I'm very aware I'm the exception since I'm sure you guys don't have the time and energies or patience to take up clothing design. :D

Also back darts are invaluable when I'm makin my shirts, coats and tops. Extra fabric will ALWAYS balloon out at the lower back as the body bends in 4 directions at the same time, wrapped around from left to right and curving into your back up and down. Fabric can only bend in 2 directions independently without a seam or dart. I recommend (or telling your tailor to) dart the lower back first to get a snug fit then (if necessary) let out the side seams for wearing ease. Be careful doing this as it will shift the side seams a little. The bigger the back darts the more the side seams will shift.

Lastly avoid low rise jeans, people covet a long torso (we have them, i.e. the grass is always greener lol) but unfortunately low rise jeans make our torso look extra long and out of proportion. I recommend wearing jeans or pants on the pelvis about 2" below your belly button. It'll instantly shorten your torso and adding a cuff at the bottom adds a horizontal line making you look less daunting. Hope the tips help as they have done wonders for me when im designing.

Tall, Skinny & Proud

- Kabba

P.s. if ANYONE has tips on where I can find leather gloves for long fingers I'd love them forever. I'm desperate enough that i just might make them but the textile leather is one I'm not familiar with at all so I'm sure they'll come out looking like crap if I attempt it.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  20. The Tall Englishman

The Tall Englishman Active Member

Kabba,

Good advice about rise for tall men. At 6' 7" I wear a lot of my trousers above the hips. Looks a lot better.

As for gloves...try http://www.chesterjefferies.co.uk. They do a bespoke sizing option for £20. Not tried it yet but about to put my first order in.

TTFN
    tTE