• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Roy's Jeans - Single Man Made

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
plus there not "practice" jeans either. thats gotta be worth something i suppose...
smile.gif

i guess a 2.5 x 3 leather patch and "different hardware" is worth a lot these days.

Originally Posted by Robert
"rethink everything we know about jeans"?! A bit hyperbolic, no?

Originally Posted by kylelovesyou
I appreciate the care that he puts in to these, but "rethink everything" is hyperbolic, and, frankly, meaningless.

Originally Posted by kylelovesyou
I understand perfectly. But "entirely by hand" is not "rethinking everything."

Originally Posted by Robert
This thread is making me rethink everything I know about Styleforum. Everything, I tell you. Everything!

Shut the **** up you stupid ******* cunts.

Kiya, tell Roy to make some in black.

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think if anything, Kiya compared the jeans to others and found ones that are the most similar and priced accordingly. Nothing out of the ordinary, the jeans were likely being sold at a lower profit margin before that didn't make it worthwhile to make a business out of. It's similar to the Artist denim that is going on right now. If Artist ironed out some of the problems with the fit and wanted to go mainstream the price would likely jump by a reasonable amount. In all honesty, its kinda a PR disaster to more than double the price of jeans and act like nothing happened, and try to defend it with some ****** excuse like (the construction is better, the leather patch is better). In all honesty, the margins are probably huge for Self-Edge and they probably make a killing on most of the denim they carry. Kiya said himself, if it weren't for Self-Edge a couple of the brands they carry would not even be in business right now. Thats because they can charge high prices for denim and still afford to pay these manufacturers to keep them afloat. Its simple business really and shouldn't be shunned. He's offering a quality product at a price that makes sense.

lmaozedong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Shut the **** up you stupid ******* cunts.

Kiya, tell Roy to make some in black.

+REP!!! just buy these jeans F***ers

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MortyGras
The denim is "the same" cone mill denim used by quite a few other small brands. The model is a completely standard no frills 5 pocket and the cut is not really interesting.

You realize that Cone Mills makes multiple kinds of selvage denim, right?

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^You also realize that any pants with 5 pocket and rivets is called jeans. Therefore any brand that came after Levi's and started making jeans are by your ****** analogy "generic"

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MortyGras
I don't get these jeans along with a lot of the other jeans produced by small labels.
Maybe i'm saturated with raw denim jeans, but these don't offer anything new.

The denim is "the same" cone mill denim used by quite a few other small brands. The model is a completely standard no frills 5 pocket and the cut is not really interesting.

This is just.. generic. Safe. Meh.
He could be making them while jumping on his tongue and it would still just be a pair of jeans in the end.
I guess they were hot when it was just that, a generic but wellmade pair of jeans for 150 usd. Now they are up at 275. I can buy sugar canes for that price!
Made of f'ning sugarcane fibers and dyed with natural indigo!
I could even buy naked and famous jeans with kevlar in it if i felt like i had that need.
Or just something that didn't look like 90% of all jeans coming out at the moment.

On a sidenote:
All you people trying to find a reason for the pricehike while feeling annoyed that 'missed' the first 'pratice' batch?
Pick up your ******* pride. It's probably lying in the bin with your common sense.

Wow..

right, its the same denim used by quite a few other brands that are priced a lot cheaper.

you all can do what you do, but at the current price point there is like a dozen other well-established japanese companies that use better denim that are priced at or below the roys. at $150, yes, they are a good deal...at $275 there simply not.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^1.Please define "better"
2. Do the other Japanese companies have only 1 employee and does everything like Roy does?

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Shut the **** up you stupid ******* cunts. Kiya, tell Roy to make some in black.
ill give you .99 for those timberlands...my brother in law needs a clean-up his dog **** pair of shoes and i think these would be great + these are his size...pm your paypal for payment. thanks!

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by entrero
^1.Please define "better" 2. Do the other Japanese companies have only 1 employee and does everything like Roy does?
better denim, better hardware, more and different cuts, etc. it doesnt matter if one person or 3 people make a pair of jeans UNLESS you are sold on the idea of one person make a pair of jeans. i happen not be to be. i would bet money it is roy that does things like those japanese companies (in terms of cutting, stitching, construction), not the other way around...but thats just me.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
re: the price adjustment.

I'd liken it to buying a piece of art.

You could buy a print, or you could buy an original.

When you buy from Roy you are getting an original every time. With other brands you're certainly getting a work of art, but it's a print. One person designed it, then another person cuts it, another person sews it, and so on.

Kiya is a gallery, a denim gallery. He sells art from a lot of artists. Before Roy was involved w/ a gallery he sold for less. His work has gotten him to this point, a gallery. And now that he's involved with a gallery he can command a higher price.

People on this forum have no problems paying 150$ for APC's, and no one questions their integrity or if the price of APC's is warranted. These jeans are certainly worth the extra 100 dollars.

Pictures don't do the jean justice.

mfrege

Reaction score
I'd rather get a pair of Ooe Yofukuten. They're cheaper. Alas, though, they are made by two (TWO!!! f'king mass producing brand dilluters) people, not one.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
omg shut the **** up
musicboohoo[1].gif
robbie...that is seriously the most marsupialed thing i have ever heard. i have no problem paying $300+ for a pair of jeans...i do it often. just not these, but thats just me.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
better denim, better hardware, more and different cuts, etc. it doesnt matter if one person or 3 people make a pair of jeans UNLESS you are sold on the idea of one person make a pair of jeans. i happen not be to be. i would bet money it is roy that does things like those japanese companies (in terms of cutting, stitching, construction), not the other way around...but thats just me.
Hey sit back and read what you said cuz it's pure ignorance. Hey check this out: FOK YOU! edit: good you removed that pic, cuz that gets you banned. but still FOK YOU

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads