1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Rowenta Irons

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by esquire., Jan 27, 2010.

1. jairus

jairus New Member

I've had the DG5030 model for Rowenta for more than two years now.
    Couldn't be happier with the purchase.
    Good luck.

2. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Well-Known Member

there was never problems before home steam irons. you have a 50/50 chance of getting a lemon.
    the only good steam irons are the ones the pros use.
    i still use a dry iron with a press cloth. it never fails. but you have to learn to use it.
    i can get a knife crease on my trousers sharp enough to cut your fingers on.

Where does one get a good dry iron? At a reasonable price? For a couple of years, I've been using a home steam iron as a dry iron, but I'd like something heavier.

3. deedub

deedub Member

I have a Rowenta Steam Generator, and I will never buy a standard iron again. The steam generator makes ironing so much easier.

+1

4. Chips

Chips Well-Known Member

I like my Rowenta iron, and I've had no troubles with it, good heat and steam, but I bought it at Costco. Any troubles, take it back and get a new one. Good place to get your steamer too. less worry about longevity.

I did the exact same thing. I love mine and have no issues with it. I usually wait until there's nearly 8 shirts or more to iron, so I end up filling the built in resevoir about 3 times, but I like the weight of it, especially full of water. Seems to help me get better results.

Also picked up my ironing board there. Big, wide and tall. Works perfectly!

5. Mr. White

Mr. White Well-Known Member

I don't understand how anybody could have any problem using an iron. It's too simple to mess up.

I've been using a Black & Decker "Classic" for years. I think I got it for $11.99 at a local drug store. Only one thing: can't use tap water cuz it's too hard and starts leaving white flecks on the clothing. Leave water in it too long--the rust cleans out by running it with vinegar. Simple.

6. zeero3

zeero3 Well-Known Member

Never used steam before. What's wrong with a water spray bottle?

7. Tarlee

Tarlee Well-Known Member

We ended up not liking it and gave it to the mother in law.

Nice.

8. razl

razl Well-Known Member

Never used steam before. What's wrong with a water spray bottle?

I'm still a newbie to the world of ironing but my understanding is that if you're spraying water, then you're having to remove all that moisture with heat. Steam imparts less moisture+heat at the same time - which means less heat necessary to remove the just-added moisture. Less heat = less wear and tear on the material. Plus, the steam is less than dense than liquid and will actually permeate - if not pass entirely through - the material at hand.

Again, I'm still learning - but I'll tell you this: 1 shirt with the dg5030 steam generator, and I'm at least a believer in steam generators (even if that model isn't the best one at the job out there). The steam it produces literally melts wrinkles - it makes the whole job just so much easier, heck almost enjoyable.

9. jackdaw

jackdaw Well-Known Member

Rowenta iron. My ex-wife bought an expensive Rowenta. My cats swatted the cord. Rowenta fell on carpeted floor and broke irrevocably. Rowenta is poor quality and over-priced.

10. esquire.

esquire. Well-Known Member

We went through two Costco Rowentas. After the second gave out, we switched to a Jiffy steamer which my wife [​IMG]

So, what's the best store to buy a Rowenta from, assuming that the Rowenta is going to break down? Is there a limit as to how many times you can return one?

Two things I've noticed when reading about Rowenta irons- there's a good chance that it will be a lemon, and that Rowenta customer service is not very good either. If your Rowenta breaks down, your best bet is to return it to the store instead of dealing with Rowenta themselves.

11. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

So, what's the best store to buy a Rowenta from, assuming that the Rowenta is going to break down? Is there a limit as to how many times you can return one?

Two things I've noticed when reading about Rowenta irons- there's a good chance that it will be a lemon, and that Rowenta customer service is not very good either. If your Rowenta breaks down, your best bet is to return it to the store instead of dealing with Rowenta themselves.

Target, Costco, Bed Bath & Beyond.

The only fault I've had with my Rowentas has been that they would eventually leak after a couple of years.

12. razl

razl Well-Known Member

Any store that has a great return policy. For me that's Costco (2 years, I believe) but I got mine from Bloomingdale's which will take it back forever with a receipt. Literally - 10 years from now, as long as I have the receipt (and not even the packaging), they'll take it back.

ps - a lot of people mention Rowenta's leaking. I will say that my unit included 2 additional o-rings and the docs stated that over time those can/do wear out and leak but that they can be easily swapped out. I'm not sure how long one lasts though (I've only had my unit about a month).

13. pendragon

pendragon Well-Known Member

I bought the Rowenta Focus ($80 in Bed/Bath) which is made in Germany, unlike the cheaper ones that are Chinese, and I think it's great. It's well made, the temperature control is accurate, and responsive, the steam is good, and it just does the job nicely.

14. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

2 questions....

Anyone here ever found any equipment 2nd hand from dry cleaners or tailor's?

Second, any way to combine a steamer and iron? I have a commercial grade Jiffy steamer and was wondering if there was a way to combine it with an iron...

15. razl

razl Well-Known Member

Necro, but pertinent - and hopefully helpful...

I just wrapped up another night's ironing and recalled my posts in this thread form a year+ ago when I first got my Rowenta and thought I would report back.

After a year, my DG5030 has been trouble free and I'm loving it. I'm down to being able to do a shirt with pretty good to almost excellent results within 4-5 minutes a piece. Like some others have said, once you get in the habit it's almost zen like; while I don't quite look forward to ironing, once I know I'm going to do it I make sure I've got something to listen to in the background and a brew or a glass of wine handy and I'm good to go. Having a good workflow makes it a lot easier since I'm focused on the job and not the process.

But it's the steam generator that makes it easy - it literally erases wrinkles, and it has enough power and reserve to steam ten shirts non-stop. It almost makes ironing fun. I've had to do my share of traveling and occasionally been stuck with a crappy iron in a hotel room and I just can't believe the difference - even when I've managed to get an iron that is a good one, there's just no comparison. I'd never go back to a standard iron, ever.

Now I'm to the point where I do all my own shirts and am happy doing so - the right tool for the job really makes the difference. Also, a quick tip - the manual says to let the unit warm up for 10 minutes before using. I've found that if I let it warm up for 15-20 it performs a lot better - it totally removes any of the water sputtering that I mentioned in my earlier posts.

Seriously, I couldn't recommend one of these enough. I'm well past having saved its $170 purchase price in costs from my local cleaner. Even if it was $300 I think I'd still be ahead, and my shirts and buttons are much better for it!

16. Carlisle Blues

Carlisle Blues Well-Known Member

I am a bit freaky when it comes to my clothes, I will not let anyone iron them. I do it myself. I have a Rowenta and have been very pleased. Of course, it is from Costco which I will bring back should it develop a problem like leaking for no reason. I have had it for several years.

17. westinghouse

westinghouse Well-Known Member

Always use distilled water in an iron. No rust, no stains, no clogs, no leaks.

18. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Always use distilled water in an iron. No rust, no stains, no clogs, no leaks.

I believe many irons now explicitly say not to do this--apparently they now make them assuming you'll use standard tap water.

19. Carlisle Blues

Carlisle Blues Well-Known Member

I believe many irons now explicitly say not to do this--apparently they now make them assuming you'll use standard tap water.
    If you have "well water" it is best to use distilled water unless a water softener is employed throughout the system.

20. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Well-Known Member

I have a rowenta and have been very pleased.

That sucker cranks out some steam