• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rory Duffy Bespoke - A Savile Row master tailor in NYC

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Montauk, I'm looking forward to your order's completion. Rory was wonderful to have found the time for my little interview, and hopefully he will be able to prove himself to all who take the time to visit, instead of typing online based on figures and CVs alone.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, how's the suit coming along?

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the video still happening?

Last edited:

BAO1

Reaction score
Poor Rory! For those who are more interested in the tailor than the tumult of this thread all I can say is that I've spent a few hours with Rory recently going over cloths, style and cut and went ahead with commissioning 3 suits from him (Bespoke service). Two single breasted and one double breasted. This is my first exposure to true bespoke tailoring and I've very excited. I've worked hard to get a place where this is a reality and so didn't give my trust lightly (though I'm certainly no expert).

My first fitting is on the 19th so I'll keep those who are interested updated.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Poor Rory! For those who are more interested in the tailor than the tumult of this thread all I can say is that I've spent a few hours with Rory recently going over cloths, style and cut and went ahead with commissioning 3 suits from him (Bespoke service).  Two single breasted and one double breasted.  This is my first exposure to true bespoke tailoring and I've very excited.  I've worked hard to get a place where this is a reality and so didn't give my trust lightly (though I'm certainly no expert).

Why would you order 3 at a shot?

BAO1

Reaction score
It might seem odd all things being equal but they're not. I need at least three top tier suits given changes in my career and the caliber of clients I'm going to be dealing with.

My own concerns of going 'all in' were greatly mitigated after meeting with Rory and better understanding his own approach to making these suits and the flexibility he retains in the build for changes. In fact he said that he likes his clients to come back 6 weeks or so after delivery to ensure the fit is accurate and the client happy. Although he's not an 'established' tailor I got nothing but top tier professionalism and passion for quality from him. Given all the above, I felt it was reasonable to go with three suits from him.

On the style front it's traditional with some subtle style points that I've always liked and wanted but RTW would not allow. He even said he could indulge in my request for opening up the lower quarters of the SB coats if during the first fitting I wanted it. In short, my decision to go with the large order was as much part in my need as it was with his approach and flexibility.

Anyway, we'll see...

G

Griffindork

Poor Rory! For those who are more interested in the tailor than the tumult of this thread all I can say is that I've spent a few hours with Rory recently going over cloths, style and cut and went ahead with commissioning 3 suits from him (Bespoke service).  Two single breasted and one double breasted.  This is my first exposure to true bespoke tailoring and I've very excited.  I've worked hard to get a place where this is a reality and so didn't give my trust lightly (though I'm certainly no expert).

More bluster. Would be nice to see an actual suit. If it is your first bespoke suit and you haven't even had a fitting, maybe it is better to withhold judgment until you get a garment. Or at least give some indication as to what it is about the "style and cut" that is so appealing. Or don't. It's your money. Personally, I find it telling that the OP for this thread never returned to show the results.

BAO1

Reaction score
'bluster'? Where was the threat? Perhaps you think bluster means boasting...?

I was just pitching in with my opinion which was freely admitted as being that of a novice but which is, given that I've actually met the man, seen his product and ordered, more informed than simply letting fly with a derogatory dismissive.

As I said, once I have something to show, I'm happy to do so. As for the OP, I've nothing to do with him so your attachment of my post with his absence is not reasonable. If this forum is such that one can only post of an experience with a tailor once product is delivered then fine, I'll refrain from further comment. I seem to have the temerity to think first hand experience of the tailor mentioned in the title of the thread would have been relevant.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'bluster'? Where was the threat? Perhaps you think bluster means boasting...?

I was just pitching in with my opinion which was freely admitted as being that of a novice but which is, given that I've actually met the man, seen his product and ordered, more informed than simply letting fly with a derogatory dismissive.

As I said, once I have something to show, I'm happy to do so. As for the OP, I've nothing to do with him so your attachment of my post with his absence is not reasonable. If this forum is such that one can only post of an experience with a tailor once product is delivered then fine, I'll refrain from further comment. I seem to have the temerity to think first hand experience of the tailor mentioned in the title of the thread would have been relevant.

Please ignore the rudeness of some people here. I for one would very much like to see the outcome. And welcome.

G

Griffindork

'bluster'?  Where was the threat? Perhaps you think bluster means boasting...? 

As I said, once I have something to show, I'm happy to do so.  As for the OP, I've nothing to do with him so your attachment of my post with his absence is not reasonable.  If this forum is such that one can only post of an experience with a tailor once product is delivered then fine, I'll refrain from further comment. I seem to have the temerity to think first hand experience of the tailor mentioned in the title of the thread would have been relevant.

No, I think it means "noisy and arrogant". Look it up. Nothing derogatory in my post. Nothing even remotely so.

G

Griffindork

Please ignore the rudeness of some people here. I for one would very much like to see the outcome. And welcome.

Yeah, we would all like to see it. That is the point of every post in the thread after the first one.

BAO1

Reaction score
And as was plainly and humbly stated in my first post anyone interested will see them once I have them.

I just want 3 very nice suits. Didn't realize beyond paying a tailor it involved an Internet running of the gauntlet.

Nice place...

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No, I think it means "noisy and arrogant". Look it up. Nothing derogatory in my post. Nothing even remotely so.

In that case, the bluster is all yours, and derogative by definition.

The OP stumbled at the gate in not disclosing his promotional relationship to the tailor. This has no reflection on the tailor's work, and the tailor himself was wise to stay out of this thread. Why the OP has not posted further I have no idea, but it is reasonable to infer he was burned by the experience.

The more recent poster/tailor client has ordered three suits for starters. Would I, or many of us, do this? Perhaps not, but he has, and all he has stated is that his initial encounters with the tailor have been positive.

The proof is in the pudding. Sooner or later, someone will post pictures of himself wearing the tailor's finished product, and it will look good or bad.

Until then, I think it wisest to withhold judgment.

G

Griffindork

In that case, the bluster is all yours, and derogative by definition.

The OP stumbled at the gate in not disclosing his promotional relationship to the tailor. This has no reflection on the tailor's work, and the tailor himself was wise to stay out of this thread. Why the OP has not posted further I have no idea, but it is reasonable to infer he was burned by the experience.

The more recent poster/tailor client has ordered three suits for starters. Would I, or many of us, do this? Perhaps not, but he has, and all he has stated is that his initial encounters with the tailor have been positive.

The proof is in the pudding. Sooner or later, someone will post pictures of himself wearing the tailor's finished product, and it will look good or bad.

Until then, I think it wisest to withhold judgment.

Nah. I'm not making any judgment and i havent said anything negative about Rory or his product. For almost 3 years there have been posts on this forum touting Rory's skills. Many of those posts strike me as commercially driven. During that time, Rory has been affiliated with Michael Andrews, David Reeves, his own business and perhaps others. As far as I know, no one has posted a picture of an actual suit. So I'm withholding judgment. And I'm going to continue to question the assertion that Rory is top tier a suggested by both the OP and this most recent poster. I'm not certain why anyone would take offense to that. If I thought something of mine were great, I'd post a pic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads