• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rory Duffy Bespoke - A Savile Row master tailor in NYC

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why does every new venture in tailoring get jumped on? If its old and expensive its beyond reproach isn't it?

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is going on here? People keep saying other people are "jumping" on Duffy, when in fact they are just hoping to see some of his stuff. I don't see a negative comment about his work anywhere.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This is disengenuous. Don't criticize my posts without reading them, or read them better.

It's wrong to want to see cut and fit? It's wrong to expect results to be posted in the forum where the product is marketed? Give me a break.

Stop being an ass - you're dissing the guy because he hasn't posted pics of completed garments. His 'marketing' effort is limited to documenting the process via a web series, not morphing into Duffy's PR man. Also, as any tailor will tell you, producing these pics is hard (how many pics of completed garments do we see on this forum?), as it requires the consent of the customer.

You remind of the guy at the end of the O'Mast screening in NY, who droned on forever on how boring the documentary was (as completed suits weren't shown), w/o having any appreciation for the craft / story that was being outlined.

I now eagerly await another aphorism - hopefully, this one can trump "Fit is paramount", but I know it'll be hard to top that.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Stop being an ass - you're dissing the guy because he hasn't posted pics of completed garments. His 'marketing' effort is limited to documenting the process via a web series, not morphing into Duffy's PR man. Also, as any tailor will tell you, producing these pics is hard (how many pics of completed garments do we see on this forum?), as it requires the consent of the customer.

You remind of the guy at the end of the O'Mast screening in NY, who droned on forever on how boring the documentary was (as completed suits weren't shown), w/o having any appreciation for the craft / story that was being outlined.

I now eagerly await another aphorism - hopefully, this one can trump "Fit is paramount", but I know it'll be hard to top that.

Why is your reading comprehension so low? What you think I've said and what I've said are different.

Montauk

Reaction score
Perhaps "archetypaLyuppie" cannot access the videos because he is imprisoned, or otherwise institutionalized, with limited internet privileges. In any case, I wish him well.

The purpose of this series has always been to demonstrate the process of handcraft bespoke tailoring. In my first flush of enthusiasm for the project, I might have made the mistake of announcing it here too early, and perhaps a bit too breathlessly for some. Big f*cking deal. Those who’ve accused me of "shilling" for Rory never bothered to read my original post, which was explicitly intended "to help raise [Duffy's] profile enough to keep him here [in NYC]."

Those wishing to see examples of Rory's finished work have always been encouraged to either visit his website or continue following this series to its conclusion. Additionally, anyone who’s in NYC this Saturday is welcome to come by the Styleforum trunk show and meet Rory and myself in person. Rory will also be hosting an afterparty at his home workshop in Williamsburg, where “taxgenius”(!) might finally be satisfied that Duffy’s suits do in fact fit live **** sapiens.

I relish the prospect of meeting certain denizens of this thread face to face.

For those unable to attend, rest assured that I am hoping in the near future to make a one-off video focusing on the specifics of Rory's "house style," featuring one of his customers modelling their latest commissions.

In the meantime, here's what's gone live so far of the "Making of a Coat" series on A Suitable Wardobe. I’m pleased to report that Jeffery Diduch has seen fit to cross-post them to his excellent blog Made By Hand.

Episode #1: Introduction
http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/2013/10/the-making-of-coat.html

Epsiode #2: Dratfting the Pattern
(In production)

Epsiode #3: Striking the Pattern
http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/2013/10/striking-pattern.html

Epsiode #4: Cutting the Canvas & Lining
http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/2013/10/the-elements-of-structure.html

Episode #5: Crookening & Markstitiching
http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/2013/11/video-crookening-and-markstitching.html

Episode #6: Making Patch Pockets
http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/2013/11/video-man-vs-machine.html

New episodes are posted every Friday on ASW.

AY

Last edited:
G

Griffindork

^ wow. more insults and a threat. classy post, montauk. thanks for keeping this off topic.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why is your reading comprehension so low? What you think I've said and what I've said are different.

The videos are quite interesting. Maybe enjoy what's been posted and wait to see what the final outcome is?

Montauk

Reaction score

^ wow. more insults and a threat. classy post, montauk. thanks for keeping this off topic.

With all due respect, these videos ARE the topic of this thread.

Last edited:

Mr. Claymore

Reaction score
So many panties in a twist. I hope you are all able to interact with people more civilly in "real life."

I don't know that "relishing" to meet people can really be construed as a threat. If you feel threatened by him wanting to meet you, that might be your own problem. I'd also suggest, that reposing all of the current videos showing Rory Duffy actually tailoring, is some what germane to a thread (I guess threak at this point) dedicated to Rory Duffy's....tailoring.....

On the whole, however, I can't comprehend why we are arguing and not just enjoying the videos that detail the TAILORING part of the bespoke process that we almost never get to see.

BAO1

Reaction score
Gentlemen - please! Enough!

No more snide insinuation, no more conjecture, no more marketing. Let the vids speak for themselves to the the extent that they can - i.e. they are in no way a fair representation of a finished product fit to a person but an interesting and rare insight into an intricate process of how such products are made from scratch.

I'll be at the after party, it'll be one of my suits that Rory will be doing the finishing fit for. You can all see it for yourselves and make your own conclusions based on that. Let's leave this thread be until pictures from the suit being worn are ready.

And to allay fears of my mental incapacity to operate cameras someone else will take all the pictures...

C'mon guys, it's clothes...

KyleT

Reaction score
When I was a boy someone I consider wise once told me, "If you have nothing good to say, keep your mouth shut."

I look forward to the Drafting part of the video series and pictures of Mr. Rory Duffy's suits.
I myself am commissioning an old master tailor, twisting an arm (or two) to get him out of retirement, lost in the sands of time, forgotten in the age of modern industry, to make me a bespoke garment.

These videos would fit in very nicely with my plans......
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Rory Duffy

Reaction score

Final read through all your posts and thought it best to upload some pics.
These are of a client who purchased my Handcrafted suits, made solely by me in house.
I did everything from cutting the pattern and sewing in every stitch including the buttonholes.
Sadly the finisher I trained move to Holland to live with her boyfriend so its just me now.
In the past few weeks two new apprentices have joined the ranks to train in Coat making and Trouser making respectfully.
They are not as of yet ready to work on clients garments, still at the sample stage.

Would like to decide this pics to Taxgenuis and Archetypal_yuppie with the greatest respect, this is your backyard and I have yet
to prove my worth and be worthy of your respect. I condone all your calls for a picture on a clients back, I hope you will be kind in your
judgement as suits are made from cloth not cut from stone.

This a relatively light to medium weight cloth at 10oz spun from luxury fine wool and cashmere from Harrisons of Edinburgh, the price was 5k including taxes and cloth.
Made as seen in the videos, please note I also hand sewed the shoulder seam and sleeve seam as well as the lining, the collar and lapels.
All that one would expect on Savile row.

This was the final fit, the client was due back after six weeks for final inspection. He has since started running everyday and would like to wait
until he has dispelled all excess body weight before have the garment taken in at no extra cost.

Thank you for taking the time to view my work and videos and look forward to contributing to this forum.

Best wishes,
Rory Duffy

Last edited by a moderator:

Rory Duffy

Reaction score
Ok can someone explain how I put an image up here, am a tailor not much of a computer wiz.
Can you see the image of is it just me?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads