• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Roping + Soft Shoulder

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wouldn't say this is a roped shoulder, no. This is a roped shoulder:

7095cd01.jpg

8658317.jpg

Benjamin E.

Reaction score
I've got an old Zegna jacket that has quite soft shoulders and a fair bit of rope. I think it looks fine.

LSU1990

Reaction score
I think that pretty much describes the Oxxford A-type. I see that and I think Neopolitan. When that is done right, that is my preferred construction.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrbateman
Hey,

I am beginning to have a summer sport coat made on Saturday and want to have a garment made with natural, soft shoulders and yet a bit of roping. Do you think a shoulder without padding but with a small amount of roping would look weird?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Yes. It would.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for the advice so far. I am fairly athletic and have big shoulders. I find that when I wear suits with significant shoulder padding I end up looking stocky. So I want a minimally padded or soft shoulder but I do like the way roping looks to add a bit of an upward angle at the shoulder cap. Then the shoulder ends up looking like a ski jump which in my mind is very aesthetically pleasing - haha. I was going for this look below. This jacket does have a bit of roping, no?

110520109.jpg

Not a bit.

Ivar

Reaction score
110520109.jpg

Just to add to the choir: these are definitely not roped shoulders.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I rather fear so but debate with your cutter.

mrbateman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LSU1990
I think that pretty much describes the Oxxford A-type. I see that and I think Neopolitan. When that is done right, that is my preferred construction.

Are you talking about the concave shoulder or the soft shoulder with a bit or roping? It seems like that sloped shoulder that "looks like a ski jump" is very common in neopolitan suits but I just don't know how to tell the tailor to do that. I am beginning to conclude that roping is not the way to acheive the look.

LSU1990

Reaction score
Are you talking about the concave shoulder or the soft shoulder with a bit or roping? It seems like that sloped shoulder that "looks like a ski jump" is very common in neopolitan suits but I just don't know how to tell the tailor to do that. I am beginning to conclude that roping is not the way to acheive the look.
Definitely not concave. Straight line, minimal padding, but with a roll of fabric on the front of the arm where the arm attaches to the coat.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the soft shoulder with a bit or roping? It seems like that sloped shoulder that "looks like a ski jump" is very common in neopolitan suits .

Do you have sloping shoulders?

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for the advice so far. I am fairly athletic and have big shoulders. I find that when I wear suits with significant shoulder padding I end up looking stocky. So I want a minimally padded or soft shoulder but I do like the way roping looks to add a bit of an upward angle at the shoulder cap. Then the shoulder ends up looking like a ski jump which in my mind is very aesthetically pleasing - haha. I was going for this look below. This jacket does have a bit of roping, no?
- as that pic is me.. I can confirm their is no roping.
- if you can wait 6 weeks as I have a soft + con rollino coming in a denim blue + silver chalk stripe flannel arriving. Will be previewed on the bRog first though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads