1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GusW, Jul 27, 2008.

1. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Amazing, Doughie. I saw those chukkas last night - I want! Are they already in stock? Any advice on fit?

(But your socks are too dull....those magnificent shooz are begging for a houndstooth or something)

2. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Well-Known Member

Who makes those tassels, mimo?

3. justinkapur

justinkapur Well-Known Member

Thanks stitch. Great looks Mimo and doughie.
    So I got asked to be in charge of the store so I couldn't wear my super duper cbd suit

[​IMG]

Bontoni
    OTC sozzi
    MTM DB HF soot on maiden voyage

3 people like this.
  4. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

very nice, justin and doughie.

5. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

What, you don't like tassel loafers either? Or is it the pink socks? Man, you're a hard dude to please. [​IMG]

6. justinkapur

Gentleman I pose a question to you all. For dress/suit wear I have enough socks to get by for years and years to come. My question is for my chukkas/winter boots I need some slightly heavier socks now here lies my problem. Sensitive feet (seamless toe is a must), hate socks (yes I do hate socks), but I need something a little chunkier (preferably solid or minimal pattern). Any suggestions? I was thinking about going with a heavier gauge pantherella in wool OTC but I wanted to see if anyone else had a brand that works well for boots.

Thanks and sorry for the lengthy post, this is probably more words that anyone on this forum has seen in a post from me. :nodding:

7. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

The selection is small (then again, they won't be seen much), but I'd recommend www.blacksocks.com. Their cotton fil d'Ecosse over the calf socks are bullet proof, and I wear them in any temperature (-something in a UK winter, +50 in an Arabian summer). As seen below.

Currently available in black and dark grey, and I think this season's colour is some kind of green. Great service, nice people, unbelievably good value socks.

8. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

9. in stitches

i just like to rile you up. ;)

todays combo looks good tho!

--

justin - i wear the same kind of socks with pretty much all my shoes. its more the pattern or color that changes based on formality.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. justinkapur

I appreciate the responses. I'll check the link posted above. I saw jhcam post his eg Shannon with some heavy socks and that's what I was thinking of.

Also I spoke with uncle Mac and he is doing great. Just thought I would let everyone know as he is a great person and a great contributor to this thread and the whole forum

11. in stitches

glad to help. and 100% uncle mac is a great guy. a real mentch.

12. justinkapur

agreed!

13. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Glad Mac is doing OK, look forward to seeing him back.

Stitch, I got new shoes and naturally made me think of you...

[​IMG]

14. justinkapur

Stitchy now that I think about it I was more referencing the heavyness/thickness of socks. I dont want some thick ass thorlos or anything with my boots but maybe a heavier wool sock to wear with my boots. Has anyone had good experiences with Pantherella OTC? I have some socks from Sozzi that are not bad but wanted to see if Pantherella OTC stayed up without cutting off circulation

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/sc...lterString=Pantherella~b~1036/&colorFamily=07

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/pa...lterString=Pantherella~b~1036/&colorFamily=05

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  15. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

My only issue with Pantherella, and Marciolani too in most cases, is that I can't get OTCs in 100% natural fibres. Call me fussy, but I'm not paying $30+ for nylon socks, even in part! They do stay up nicely though. If you want something that's made of wool but robust enough to stay up and stay in shape with boots, I think the heavy country socks are your only option, whether or not they're all natural. Not what you want to wear with dress boots and your world-class soot action though.

The reason I recommended the Blacksocks ones above is that I am amazed at how strong they are. They're not as cuddly as wool socks, nor as light as Mazarin's cotton OTCs. But they never fall down, they're four-season comfortable, and after over a year of use, not one pair has a hole or has become loose. Anyway, if you get a set of three they work out about $12 each, so definitely worth the experiment! My only negative on these is that they don't have more colours: black, grey, and one new colour a year.

But if you want something that just feels luxurious and prefer wool, then it has to be Gammarelli from meschausettesrouges.com. I don't know how they'll stand up to heavy wear, but it feels like a treat every time I put them on. They are simply gorgeous.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  16. Close Hoarse

Close Hoarse Well-Known Member

Excellent choice.
    CH

1 person likes this.
  17. upr_crust

upr_crust Well-Known Member

x-post WAYWRN MC Casual - Mezlan shoes, BB socks

[​IMG]

18. timotune

timotune Well-Known Member

haven't posted here in ages:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. in stitches

timo - excellent

mimo - lol

justin - i dont any thick socks that i can think of. sorry i am of no help. :(

20. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Well-Known Member

Today

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.